Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac App Store version vs GOG.com version
amfek Offline

Threads: 1
Not Solved Mac App Store version vs GOG.com version

Hi everyone, I bought SOMA on GOG.com and the file is over 21gb. Today I saw SOMA on the Mac App Store and saw that the MAS version is only 12gb. Does anyone know why the sizes are so different? Thanks.
01-29-2016, 07:46 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Not Solved RE: Mac App Store version vs GOG.com version

Could it be that it's just compressed in MAS and not GOG? Does the final install take such space or is it the download?
If there are differences, it could be the editors. They only work on Windows, so maybe GOG lists the Windows size required, and that they are excluded from the MAS version altogether (similar to console versions, which are smaller than PC versions).

01-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Find
amfek Offline

I already own the GOG version so I'm not going to get the MAS version. I can see the file size of 21gb in Finder so that's the installed size. MAS app sizes are actual installed sizes too as far as I know so that still leaves me wondering what might account for the variance. The MAS version is also named differently (SOMA 2015). Not sure if that means anything.
01-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Well, the game itself should be identical. I'm not sure then what the difference is. Perhaps the MAS version is displaying incorrect info.

01-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Find
Anzio Offline

Threads: 3

I know this is old, but I just wanted to point out that Mac App Store apps are compressed and installed via a pkg bundle. They're uncompressed by the storeagent once fully downloaded.

The actual installation size is 21.74GB when uncompressed.
05-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Find
schuffd Offline

Is there a "real" Support for the games or still the forums where normal people talk to each other but nobody can help with real problems?

What about the ATI R9 in the Macbook 15" from late 2015 will it run?

And why are the versions so different, Mac App Store still version 1.0 ? So no updates for this game? On Steam or GoG you can find newer versions.
07-17-2016, 06:26 PM
Find
Anzio Offline

Threads: 3

(07-17-2016, 06:26 PM)schuffd Wrote: And why are the versions so different, Mac App Store still version 1.0 ? So no updates for this game? On Steam or GoG you can find newer versions.

I know this is old, but it's worth mentioning that the App Store version is 1.0. The actual installed version reads 1.0.6. Not sure if that's the latest, but remember it got added to the Mac App Store later than other stores. It's definitely not 1.0. That's just the version number they provided in iTunes Connect.
12-18-2016, 10:39 PM
Find