Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Finding It Hard To Mod SOMA...
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Finding It Hard To Mod SOMA...

(01-31-2016, 02:54 AM)Myster Stranger Wrote: You know, I worked my ass off on Surface, it has monsters from Soma's beta content as well as Penumbra reworked and added in, incorporates a wide variety of new encounter styles, features a fun sci-fi story, open level format, and a dynamic soundtrack that I spent an immense amount of time coding and it's sitting at three stars on Steam right now, and a 6 on ModDB. And yet, I'm somehow finding myself spending this weekend working on a new custom story. Why? Why should I waste the time, the cynic in me says.

Well, because every once in a while, I go onto Youtube, and there's somebody playing through Surface, and they're excited, and they're smiling and saying it's awesome and fun, and that they're excited about where Soma modding's going. There is a receptive audience out there, a lot of people that want to see new, interesting experiences in Soma's engine, and if one is bubbling in your mind, than there'll be plenty of people who will be more than willing to play it. To be frank, while I do respect Fuga, it was a little too up-its-own-ass for me (no offense intended, WALP, Wink), but the screenshots for your stories all have me quite excited, along with the goofy voices, it looks like the kind of irreverent fun that's right up my alley. Sure, it can be disheartening to see the laziest mods on the most subscribed list, but that's how it was with Amnesia's first years too, but eventually, passionate stories will rise to the top.
none taken, and I get exactly what you mean by "up-its-own-ass".
Learned a shit ton of stuff from making FUGA, and if I get to finish something again, you will likely find it being a 180 from what FUGA was. Honestly I think most of the popularity that FUGA is getting simply comes from the fact that it is at least technically something complete, which there has really been a hunger for in the SOMA community.

For Surface I did not play it all through, simply because I found the encounters and difficulty of it frustrating and unfair, so I only got about 15-20 minutes in.
That, and the lack of voice acting probably made it look a little more amateurish despite the work behind the scenes, at least from my point of view. I suspect not everyone took the difficulty of the mod as nicely as I did, hence the down votes.

I am not saying you should have gone for a FUGA easy approach, but I think that if you want higher difficulty gameplay it also needs a good amount of testing, adapting based on testing and giving the player a fair presentation of/preparation for the challenge rather than pure trial and error (at least trial and error is not my cup of tea). Hence even though FUGA was too easy for the majority, I don't regret making it that way since I was not willing to put in the sheer amount of time testing and perfecting that would have required.
01-31-2016, 11:48 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

Thanks everyone for the replies, it feels awesome. It really does.

I don't have much to say now because I just woke up and I'm really drained but just know that the fact that you spend your time typing up these comments just for the problems of a guy you've met on the internet is a wonderful feeling.

You've reminded me why I click on this forum first every time I start Chrome. Heart
01-31-2016, 12:25 PM
Find
Myster Stranger Offline

Threads: 3

(01-31-2016, 11:48 AM)WALP Wrote: I am not saying you should have gone for a FUGA easy approach, but I think that if you want higher difficulty gameplay it also needs a good amount of testing, adapting based on testing and giving the player a fair presentation of/preparation for the challenge rather than pure trial and error (at least trial and error is not my cup of tea). Hence even though FUGA was too easy for the majority, I don't regret making it that way since I was not willing to put in the sheer amount of time testing and perfecting that would have required.

You're absolutely right, and I made quite a few changes to it thanks to watching gameplay videos and user feedback. The mod has evolved quite a bit over its life, and while I wouldn't say it's not difficult, I definitely feel it is now fair, as I've seen quite a few people oneshot it as of the last build. Well, fair aside from noclipping leviathans, but I digress. Point is, I'm really happy with the product that's out there, I'm glad (some) people have enjoyed it, and that's enough for me, Smile

(Also you guys should go download Surface and jack the entities, I want to see the monsters show up in more custom stories so we don't get bored of the vanilla content, Tongue)
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2016, 09:59 PM by Myster Stranger.)
01-31-2016, 09:53 PM
Find