Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to disable object highlighting in Soma.
Silent Krabs Offline

Threads: 1
How to disable object highlighting in Soma.

I've played Soma from beginning to end, and I plan on starting another play-through of the game very soon. However, I have one major complaint that almost makes me hesitant to play the game again.

Soma, like virtually all games nowadays, features object highlighting, a feature that exists purely to insult the intelligence of the player. Not only is the game treating me like an infant that can't comprehend what I can and cannot interact with, but every time I stare at an object my immersion is ruined because this blue shine reminds me I'm playing a video game and that the events on the screen aren't real.

It's especially irritating with Frictional Games because Penumbra: Overture and Penumbra: Black Plague included the option to disable object highlighting, while Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Soma don't.

I would appreciate any technical advice on how to disable object highlighting in Soma. I won't enjoy the game as much as I should until I rid it of this feature.

Thank you all in advance.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2016, 07:10 AM by Silent Krabs.)
02-06-2016, 06:52 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63
RE: How to disable object highlighting in Soma.

Your opinion.

What you'll have to do is to go into SOMA's main folder through steamapps/common if you are on Steam and go into the script/modules folder. Then open a file called 'HighlightEffectHandler'. Open it with Notepad.

There should be two lines near the top of the file:
float gfHightlightEffectMaxDistance = 3;
float gfHightlightEffectMaxDistanceSqr = 3*3;

Change them to this:
float gfHightlightEffectMaxDistance = 0;
float gfHightlightEffectMaxDistanceSqr = 0*0;

That should be it, happy immersing. I hope the highlighting didn't damage the game for you or anything. Wink
02-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Find
Silent Krabs Offline

Threads: 1

(02-06-2016, 09:10 AM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote: Your opinion.

What you'll have to do is to go into SOMA's main folder through steamapps/common if you are on Steam and go into the script/modules folder. Then open a file called 'HighlightEffectHandler'. Open it with Notepad.

There should be two lines near the top of the file:
float gfHightlightEffectMaxDistance = 3;
float gfHightlightEffectMaxDistanceSqr = 3*3;

Change them to this:
float gfHightlightEffectMaxDistance = 0;
float gfHightlightEffectMaxDistanceSqr = 0*0;

That should be it, happy immersing. I hope the highlighting didn't damage the game for you or anything. Wink

Thanks for the technical advice. I still enjoyed Soma immensely even with the object highlighting. Playing through it again remains quite tense even though I now know everything that's going to happen. Now I can enjoy it all the more.
02-06-2016, 09:32 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

Glad to hear! Smile
02-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Find