Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Heart Breaking News, Frictional Games almost had to drop Amnesia
superluser Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Heart Breaking News, Frictional Games almost had to drop Amnesia

It's for reasons like this that I wonder if it might not make sense to do something a little different than prereleases for the next game.

Instead of saying ``Prepurchase now and get 10% off,'' you could say something like ``Buy an Amnesia bond and get a share of the prepurchase/first week profits.'' I'd rather pay you guys $20 for making the game than prepurchasing it for $18.

If you did it the right way, you could have each share have an expected return of 10% if the next game sold as well as the previous one, giving people an incentive to promote it to their friends. (And you could prevent a tulip by only selling a certain number of shares)
09-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Find
runyonqve Offline

Threads: 0

Amnesia has been getting some high reviews lately, so hopefully people will realize this and buy the game.

It's sad when nowadays people drop $60 on genereic cop-paste garbage like the CoD series and overlook innovative gems like Penumbra and Amnesia. Lets hope Amnesia financially keeps Frictional alive, it would suck to see them go. They are the last truly great survival horror game developers (last one was konami until they outsourced their Silent Hill francise to some American companies, ugh!).
09-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Find
PerfectBlue Offline

Threads: 12

(09-07-2010, 05:59 PM)runyonqve Wrote: They are the last truly great survival horror game developers (last one was konami until they outsourced their Silent Hill francise to some American companies, ugh!).

Silent Hill to me died starting with Homecoming.
09-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

The game seems to be selling well so far, gotten good reviews and a fair amount of attention. Just hope that's good enough to keep FG making more awesome games.
09-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Find
RMJ Offline

Threads: 4

Introversion the dudes that make Uplink almost closed up shop as well, a steam sale saved them with a years worth of funding all because they added some achivements and got one of those, what you call it, where it pops up when you start steam.

Hopefully steam will bring alot of sales to FG aswell. Its definitely the future of gaming and especially smaller indie companies that dont have a PR budget.

And you know what, i actully bought this game 2 times. Bit silly maybe, but hell, i can spare the money, and i know the game will be worth it. I might even buy it again when i have completeted it Smile
09-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Find
PrinceCola Offline

Threads: 8

they earn less money when people buy from steam etc. 'bastards*
Buy from the FG store instead
09-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Find
Gvaz Offline

Threads: 1

An advertisement update? Those never show up properly for me, but forcing a big banner saying LOOK WHATS ON SALE, is certainly worth whatever you invest in the ad because you'll at least break even, if not increase sales exponentially
09-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Find
RMJ Offline

Threads: 4

Steam might take a cut, but you cant really look at it like that, for that small price FG gets access to what? 10million potential customers. And everyone knows the biggest flaw on steam, its so damn easy to buy games. few clicks and voila you bought a game Smile

I think people should buy from steam, to get it up on the top sellers, it helps promote more sales. and Steam is good for the PC. If it wasnt for steam back then in the dark ages, well PC gaming might have died. we have a long period where almost all PC devs jumped ship, to Paystation 3 and Paybox 360.

Developers really need to support up around digital distrubution. and without DRM. but instead implement advantages instead of disadvantages. And having all your games in one easy places, instead of at Fritional Games and at Telltale and 2847 other places isnt easy. But starting steam, having auto update, easy overview over your games, and preload and stored savegames and config online, and whatelse devs choose to support. Its win / win. I know for a fact that steam isnt that expensive they dont take that much money.

Many indie companies like 2dboy behind world of goo said, that Steam is very good and is the way to go. Selling from your own little site just isnt here in 2010.

Amnesia is now number 2 in top sellers! Big Grin
09-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Find
Mikezila Offline

Threads: 5

I pre-bought Amnesia because the demo was so awesome, and the trailer and screens really had me into it. I've already played all the Penumbra games, but I'm gonna buy them again on Steam just to give more support.

My advice, since you're already flirty with the $10 game priceline with the pre-order discount, have sales on Steam from time to time where the game is $10, or close to it.

I buy so many games (and so do my friends) when they get near $10 just because they're so cheap. Sales spike!
09-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Find
jo291 Offline

Threads: 43

im planning to tell as many peaple as i possibly can now that im in highschool! hopefullly it will get you guys a couple more buys. i dought it though seeing as most of the gamers in my school are the HELLOOO IS TEH BEWST GAYM EVAR LOLOLOL. kind of peaple. but i will try my best!Smile
09-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Find