Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Secret of the evil water monster
Joseph Curwen Offline

Threads: 8
Secret of the evil water monster

Today I revealed the secret of this nasty invisible evil corpse-eating water monster you encounter at the end of the demo. Here's a photo of its horrible terrifying shape:
Spoiler below!

[Image: watermonster.th.png]

Just open up AmnesiaDemo/entities/enemy/waterlurker/waterlurker.dae in your favourite 3d Modeller (e.g. Blender). [Btw, nice to see how you can scare a player nearly to death by just making the enemy invisible. Nobody would be scared by a simple ball. Would be funny to paint some smiles on it, like I did with the dogs in Penumbra.]

I now realize that I have seen such a thing many times before. But what could it be?
Maybe some mutated form of Yog-Soggoth as described in the forbidden tomes in Miskatonic University in arkham. A Soggoth is a "bubbling mass" (see the dreadful pages of unfathomed wikipedia). So maybe this thing in the sewers of Brennenburg is just some distant cousin of it who came up the long way from the fabled roots of the mountains of madness.
Or I am suffering from paranoia... Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
The other monster guy looks like Dr. Herbert West has visited Brennenburg to perform some experiments. I wonder if there are any other lovecraftian horrors in this game.
09-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Find
Sajber Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Secret of the evil water monster

(09-07-2010, 08:04 PM)Joseph Curwen Wrote: Today I revealed the secret of this nasty invisible evil corpse-eating water monster you encounter at the end of the demo. Here's a photo of its horrible terrifying shape:
Spoiler below!

[Image: watermonster.th.png]

Just open up AmnesiaDemo/entities/enemy/waterlurker/waterlurker.dae in your favourite 3d Modeller (e.g. Blender). [Btw, nice to see how you can scare a player nearly to death by just making the enemy invisible. Nobody would be scared by a simple ball. Would be funny to paint some smiles on it, like I did with the dogs in Penumbra.]

I now realize that I have seen such a thing many times before. But what could it be?
Maybe some mutated form of Yog-Soggoth as described in the forbidden tomes in Miskatonic University in arkham. A Soggoth is a "bubbling mass" (see the dreadful pages of unfathomed wikipedia). So maybe this thing in the sewers of Brennenburg is just some distant cousin of it who came up the long way from the fabled roots of the mountains of madness.
Or I am suffering from paranoia... Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
The other monster guy looks like Dr. Herbert West has visited Brennenburg to perform some experiments. I wonder if there are any other lovecraftian horrors in this game.

I lold! Big Grin

The Unofficial Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Penumbra and Frictional Games IRC Channel.
#amnesiareleaseparty @ irc.gamesurge.net
09-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Find
Conorr Offline

Threads: 5

I was petrified of a ball which looks like an Exercise ball.

A Simple masterpeice any gamer would be tottally in fear of an Exercise ball :O.

On a serious note, nice find.
09-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Find
membrain Offline

Threads: 4

Maybe it's just "The Blob"s little brother. But it's a nice monster though. I'm frightened to death. Big Grin

membrain
09-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

I was frightened by sesame street, seriously.

09-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Website Find
membrain Offline

(09-07-2010, 08:41 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: I was frightened by sesame street, seriously.

Now you've got to tell me what could be frightening in Sesame Street. It's only frightening hilarious if you're drunken. Big Grin

membrain
09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

(09-07-2010, 08:45 PM)membrain Wrote: Now you've got to tell me what could be frightening in Sesame Street. It's only frightening hilarious if you're drunken. Big Grin

membrain

I was four. I watched a movie where puppets come to life and eats people.

09-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Website Find
membrain Offline

(09-07-2010, 09:05 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(09-07-2010, 08:45 PM)membrain Wrote: Now you've got to tell me what could be frightening in Sesame Street. It's only frightening hilarious if you're drunken. Big Grin

membrain

I was four. I watched a movie where puppets come to life and eats people.

I believe I know that movie. Is it where little puppets live in something like a paradise and then god creates earthquakes, storms and things those puppets died from? If you mean this movie I have to admit that it's frightening me still today. Never thought something like that could be broadcasted for kids.

membrain
09-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Find
Vagrant Offline

Threads: 3

Is that it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqi5F5MqqTQ
09-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

I appreciate your efforts. I'm not afraid of cookie monster anymore Smile It was 17 years ago. But my case demonstrates that one can be afraid of any silly thing.

09-08-2010, 03:16 AM
Website Find