Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Game os great, yet ending really terrible
geronimosan Offline

Threads: 1
Game os great, yet ending really terrible

I am a long time gamer, prefering FPS, MMO, and Adventure games. With previous adventure games, I've enjoyed them but they've always felt too 2Dimensional. There was never enough immersion in the game.

In playing Amnesia, you completely solved the immersion problem. I loved all the different aspects of interacting with the environment. The puzzles weren't complex enough, but the fact that I was able to treat the game like an FPS run-through to solve the problems made up for it (this time). Pulling in minor FPS/MMO concepts like health/light management was great. Was a blast trying to decide when I should ignite light sources, and when I should stay hidden.

Overall, I absolutely loved the game, but unfortunately it's short. I took the advice the game gave when I first loaded it up - I did not play to win, I did not power play, I did not play for speed; instead, I played purely to enjoy the environment, nice and slow, not fast unless the game made me feel like I had to rush. Yet I finished the game in about 10 hours.

The other negative is the ending. Without meaning to give any spoilers, the "final boss/room" takes about 30 seconds to complete. The physical action to complete the ending is weak, the story ending is weak. Even though the game was too short, it was still great - but the ending almost makes it all horribly pointless.

If this company put out another adventure game similar to this one and improved upon the story and ending, I'd buy it for sure.
09-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Game os great, yet ending really terrible

(09-10-2010, 01:42 PM)geronimosan Wrote: The other negative is the ending. Without meaning to give any spoilers, the "final boss/room" takes about 30 seconds to complete. The physical action to complete the ending is weak, the story ending is weak. Even though the game was too short, it was still great - but the ending almost makes it all horribly pointless.

The ending? There's 3 endings.

[Image: 16455.png]
09-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Find
ChrisSmith Offline

Threads: 0

All 3 endings are fairly weak and generally anti-climactic, which is a shame because the pace really starts to pick up and then just kind of... fizzles out.
09-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Find
GoDl1Kelol Offline

Threads: 7

It's called an RPG, not a bloody MMO, you git.
09-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Find
VALIS Offline

(09-10-2010, 02:41 PM)GoDl1Kelol Wrote: It's called an RPG, not a bloody MMO, you git.

No one said it was an MMO. Amnesia is a survival-horror adventure game, now before you go off sprouting obscenities why don't you understand the exact genre before you start telling someone what it's not.

In response to the original post I agree, the endings are anti-climactic. But if you interpret them yourself in combination with the explanations in the diaries/notes/cylinder things you can make sense of what you'd like. As for the length it took me around 7 and a half hours, which is alright for a game that cost me $20. I hope to see some good custom scenarios worked up by the community to prolong its life, I might even have another playthrough sometime.
09-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Website Find
ploppytheman Offline

The ending didn't give enough information. It felt like a cliffhanger and left too many untied ends. They weren't bad it just makes room for a sequel or speculation. I too disliked that the ending wasn't an explanation but it doesn't make it bad.

Hopefully a sequel/trilogy is planned that will explain everything.
09-11-2010, 02:08 AM
Find
Baron Offline

It is possible you missed some of the journals and notes lying around the place if you feel like something was left out and unexplained. The game isn't about the ending it's about how you get there.
09-11-2010, 04:42 AM
Find
sacroid Offline

Threads: 11

(09-11-2010, 02:08 AM)ploppytheman Wrote: The ending didn't give enough information. It felt like a cliffhanger and left too many untied ends. They weren't bad it just makes room for a sequel or speculation. I too disliked that the ending wasn't an explanation but it doesn't make it bad.

Hopefully a sequel/trilogy is planned that will explain everything.

I think people said that there was not going to be a secual to the game...

09-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Find
Spiegelman Offline

Threads: 3

Ten hours to complete a single player game is by no means short these days, especially when most games sell at a $60 price tag and you get six hours or less in the campaign/story! (And let's compare apples to apples here, not something like Amnesia versus Mass Effect or Fallout 3 because obviously you're going to get way more play time from an open ended RPG).

Either way, I thought each ending was special in its own way; however, I think the Alexander ending could have used a little extra "oomf."

Also, Frictional is releasing the level editor eventually which will extend the life of Amnesia, especially since you can import custom models (and maybe textures?).
09-12-2010, 05:27 AM
Find
Unreal Offline

Threads: 9

I loved the 8 hours it took for me to beat the game. Good length for a $20 game. But I too felt the ending was weak. In Penumbra Overture, it ended with the Philip burning Red alive then getting knocked out. In Penumbra Black Plague, it ended with an encounter with the Tuurngait creature and Philip refusing to follow it's wishes. Both had clever, satisfying endings. But Amnesia was extremely anti-climatic at the end. All the build up, then I walk into a room and touch a few things and it ends. No clever twist, no emotional connection. It's like the game just stopped.

edit: on second thought, maybe I just didn't want the game to end Big Grin
09-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Find