Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

a question about what inspired penumbra
Unregistered

a question about what inspired penumbra

I've just started playing the demo that came with the PCG disks. I must say you've done an amazing job. While playing the game I noticed some very interesting things about the creatures in the game.

Have you read the novel "From a Buick 8" by Stephen King? It's just that the flying creatures bear a striking resemblance to the one in the book, and there they also had an unbearable stench.
It's really awesome if you borrowed from that universe, or maybe even made your story in the same one. Or maybe it's all a big fat coincidence. Either way, it's cool. Smile
10-08-2006, 02:47 PM
gamgam2 Offline

Threads: 23
RE: a question about what inspired penumbra

From what I've heard, they did it to test out the engine for some contest or something, it got second(I believe) Or they did it for a school project, or maybe both...

Sometimes, if you look carefully at a wall for a few minutes, you'll realize you wasted some time.  It's true.
10-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Website Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

I thought about reading that book but I never got started on it Smile Need to do it sometime. As far as I know no inspirtation has come from that book.

The main inspiration for Penumbra is Lovecraftian in terms of making the main character very weak and vunerable. Also the horror tries to stay hidden so that the player himself has to imagine what lies ahead.
10-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Find
Unregistered

I see. Well that's very interesting.
A really good game.
I hope it come out on Steam :p
10-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Unregistered

I hope that I wont require Steam to play it,I just like it to just click the Penumbra.exe and play it and Steam will always require you to HAVE Internet and what if one day I'l be out of internet?I'l go and play a few cool games and Penumbra would be one tough.
10-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Dark Offline

Threads: 20

well there is such a thing called offline mode in steamSmile
well but most people know that there will be a digital purchase version (wich is cheaper) and a boxed one

[Image: elfenliednx4.jpg]
10-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Find
Unregistered

I'd just be happy to play it without a daemon running. All these companys think 'ill just put my own tiny wee app that sits in the system tray all the time'.

All these 'wee little programs' take up so much memory. Like the adobe acrobat reader, the winamp quicklaunch thing. the office quicklaunch thing...the ..steam....the ageia system tray icon....i cant even think of them all.
12-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Jusal Offline

Threads: 0

Thomas Wrote:I thought about reading that book but I never got started on it Smile Need to do it sometime. As far as I know no inspirtation has come from that book.

The main inspiration for Penumbra is Lovecraftian in terms of making the main character very weak and vunerable. Also the horror tries to stay hidden so that the player himself has to imagine what lies ahead.

Everything described with the adjective "Lovecraftian" must be good. Smile

Offtopic: Gah! Please... no... Steam.
01-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Find
CrazyCanuck Offline

Threads: 3

I find steam to be very convenient. And like it or not, more and more games are using steam.
01-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Find
timonator Offline

Threads: 3

the Linux version will - or rather *must* - come without steam Big Grin (at least I've never seen a steam Linux client)
01-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Find