Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
most demanding graphics settings?
Dismal Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago most demanding graphics settings?

amnesia is acting weird for me, i just got it and when i first started it up i was getting like 10 fps in the menu so i decided to change some settings. first i turned of ssao and it seemed to bump it up to 20 or so, it was playable but i still knew it could be smoother, my system is not bad at all. i turned anti aliasing all the way down and my fps dropped to under 1, it was like watching a slide show. i dont know what i should be doing to fix this, what are some setting that i should turn down to give me a good fps boost without reducing the graphics too much? i should also note that when i click "detect" it automatically sets everything to high.
09-11-2010, 02:17 AM
Find
thePyro13 Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: most demanding graphics settings?

I don't think this is a matter of your settings but something else causing the performance drop.

I've suffered from the same problem since the demo. I get a playable(but jumpy frame-rate) most of the time. Sometimes when I start the game I only get a slide-show(though it will eventually speed up to the playable frame-rate above if I leave it long enough).

It's not a matter of settings. I get the same performance and behaviour If I push all the settings down to low or ramp them all up to their max(not including SSAO).

I've managed to reach a point in the game where I need to run or hide from monsters, but the frame-rate is just to low to effectively close doors or move objects out of the way in a timely manner. Sad

I've been trying to solve this issue for a while. A clean install of windows doesn't help. It effects 32bit and 64bit windows. I've only tested using 7.

It seems like disabling windows aero solves it. Which is strange as windows automatically does this when you open the game.

Turning it off manually seems like a good hot-fix.
09-11-2010, 03:07 AM
Find
wastedfate Offline

(09-11-2010, 03:07 AM)thePyro13 Wrote: I don't think this is a matter of your settings but something else causing the performance drop.

I've suffered from the same problem since the demo. I get a playable(but jumpy frame-rate) most of the time. Sometimes when I start the game I only get a slide-show(though it will eventually speed up to the playable frame-rate above if I leave it long enough).

It's not a matter of settings. I get the same performance and behaviour If I push all the settings down to low or ramp them all up to their max(not including SSAO).

I've managed to reach a point in the game where I need to run or hide from monsters, but the frame-rate is just to low to effectively close doors or move objects out of the way in a timely manner. Sad

I've been trying to solve this issue for a while. A clean install of windows doesn't help. It effects 32bit and 64bit windows. I've only tested using 7.

It seems like disabling windows aero solves it. Which is strange as windows automatically does this when you open the game.

Turning it off manually seems like a good hot-fix.

Yeah, alot of times, even when your specs are overqualified to run a program it has terrible, terrible FPS. This is caused by any number of issues. I've never heard of Aero doing it before, but then again, it's pretty random.

Only advice is update graphics drivers, and manually turn settings to medium when it starts, or low if you have to.
09-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Find
Dismal Offline

how do i disable windows aero? i googled it but the instructions differ from what actually appears when i click the things its telling me to click.
09-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Find
thePyro13 Offline

(09-11-2010, 04:02 AM)Dismal Wrote: how do i disable windows aero? i googled it but the instructions differ from what actually appears when i click the things its telling me to click.

Fastest method I know is this:

Right click on your desktop.
Select "Personalize".
Select the bottom left theme "Windows 7 Basic" or similar for vista.
Done.

You can repeat the above but select one of the Aero themes to reverse the process.

I would recommend saving your current theme before changing so that you can quickly get your desktop background and so on back when you're done playing.

EDIT:
An alternate(And probably better) solution is to make a shortcut to your "Launcher.exe"(within the amnesia folder) and select "Disable desktop composition" in the shortcuts properties, compatibility tab.
09-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Find
Dismal Offline

(09-11-2010, 04:20 AM)thePyro13 Wrote:
(09-11-2010, 04:02 AM)Dismal Wrote: how do i disable windows aero? i googled it but the instructions differ from what actually appears when i click the things its telling me to click.

Fastest method I know is this:

Right click on your desktop.
Select "Personalize".
Select the bottom left theme "Windows 7 Basic" or similar for vista.
Done.

You can repeat the above but select one of the Aero themes to reverse the process.

I would recommend saving your current theme before changing so that you can quickly get your desktop background and so on back when you're done playing.

EDIT:
An alternate(And probably better) solution is to make a shortcut to your "Launcher.exe"(within the amnesia folder) and select "Disable desktop composition" in the shortcuts properties, compatibility tab.

that helped thanks, but my fps is still pretty bad. what settings should i be lowering?
09-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Find
thiz Offline

Threads: 7

Thats really depending on your system, try to play around with them. A little testing cant hurt. Make sure you have the SSAO to medium, high is killing even high end machines and also reduce the samples of SSAO.
09-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Find