Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Mods for Penumbra and other tips
Unregistered

Wink  Mods for Penumbra and other tips

Small advices from an old gamer:

a) You should make "Penumbra" series open to mods (like in "Morrowind"), this will extend the game's life and also bring more fun into it.
After some years there will be total conversion mods that will enhance the gameplay experience well beyond the authors imagination and engine abilities.

b) Also try to optimize the game to give as much freedom as possible and to run smoothly in most PCs.
People prestige gameplay, extremely cpu consuming graphics may kill the game if not well supported by a wise story plot in first place.

c) If possible make it so it is possible to play via LAN/internet (not a mmorpg! I am referring to a feature like they did in "System Shock 2")
Mmorpg are all the same and kind of boring... but the ability to have some friends playing a RPG together in a small private server is still un-explored and will be fun to have.

--
Best Regards
10-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Unregistered

RE: Mods for Penumbra and other tips

I cannot speak in the name of developers but...

Quote:a) You should make "Penumbra" series open to mods (like in "Morrowind"), this will extend the game's life and also bring more fun into it.
After some years there will be total conversion mods that will enhance the gameplay experience well beyond the authors imagination and engine abilities.

The game is ALREADY open for modding via the tech demo.

Quote:b) Also try to optimize the game to give as much freedom as possible and to run smoothly in most PCs.
People prestige gameplay, extremely cpu consuming graphics may kill the game if not well supported by a wise story plot in first place.

One word: Duh.

Quote:c) If possible make it so it is possible to play via LAN/internet (not a mmorpg! I am referring to a feature like they did in "System Shock 2")
Mmorpg are all the same and kind of boring... but the ability to have some friends playing a RPG together in a small private server is still un-explored and will be fun to have.

This is where I really cannot speak for developers.

First off, this is a very much design decision. Fictional games have limited resources, and the main game must be done first.

Second, I'm not sure that the game's engine supports netcode.
10-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Dark Offline

Threads: 20

well any game/engine can support netcode Smile
but it depends on what multiplayer you want:
if it is like SS2 (coop) then you need SP levels that can do that
if they are like the techdemo then i would say no
if they do dm/ctf and stuff: i dont think ctf is that fun with melee only :p

about the modding, check here: http://frictionalgames.com/HPLwiki/doku.php
everything you need Smile

[Image: elfenliednx4.jpg]
10-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Find
Unregistered

FLASH LIGHT TAG...

That would make for some good DM/CTF.
12-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Unregistered

No offense but deathmatch & capture the flag really seem to be besides the point.

IF there was multiplayer in Penumbra then they'd have to invent new gameplay modes. How on earth would you play capture the flag in Penumbra?
12-12-2006, 06:41 AM
Sepai Offline

Threads: 10

weblordpepe Wrote:No offense but deathmatch & capture the flag really seem to be besides the point.

IF there was multiplayer in Penumbra then they'd have to invent new gameplay modes. How on earth would you play capture the flag in Penumbra?

ohh imagine the dynamite fun with capture the flag

step one build a cage with the physics
step two heard the flag carrier in to cage
step three close door and throw in a heap of dynamite Big Grin

there you go a unique multiplayer experience
12-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Find