Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Suggestions and Ideas
Rowedekhelicon
Unregistered

Suggestions and Ideas

I realize there are many such threads in the Penumbra Tech Demo forums, but I thought it might be more appropriate to have a suggestion thread here that pertains specifically to the finished product.

That said I thought I'd just toss up a few ideas just so I'll know they've been mentioned. Smile

1. Lean modifier key. If you're trying to create immersion through mouse driven actions it makes sense to me that leaning would be controlled with the mouse as well. As it is in the tech demo it's very slow and robotic and not very immersive at all. I think it would be neat if there were simply a lean modifier key whereby holding it down would allow the player to lean left, right, and forward by moving the mouse in respective directions.

2. Load zones. I think the biggest detractor from the tech demo was the presence of load zones. I often felt a sense of safety because I knew the zone I was in was clear. If everything was open and enemies were intelligent and free-roaming there would be an ever-present dread. Every corner, every dark hallway - no matter how many times you'd passed by them - would never feel safe. There would always be some mystery. I don't know what kind of technical limitations you're up against, but that's definitely something I'd focus on.

3. 5.1 audio. Not a big deal when it comes down to it, but 5.1 channel environmental audio can go a long way to providing an intensely immersive experience. Thief: The Dark Project created a rock solid case for that. It's one of those things that you don't really notice when you're without it, but when you do have it adds a whole different dimension to your perception of the game.

4. Mouse smoothing. Might help to show off that motion blurring! As it is I can only see the motion blurring if I whip the view left to right, back and forth.

4.5 While we're discussing mice it would be nice to have support for buttons 4, 5, and the wheel. There's not a real need for it in the tech demo, but if Overture is to have more features (weapons?) then it's just a thought. Smile

Anyway you're doing a fine job and judging by the screens and info you seem to have things well in hand. Bring on the Overture!
10-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Dark Offline

Threads: 20
RE: Suggestions and Ideas

1. you mean like in rainbow six raven shield?

2. well it depends on the size the engine supports
but if you make big maps you would have a long initial load but with smaller maps you would have shorter, more frequient loads

3. wel duh, a horror game witouth good sound would totaly suck :p

4 and 4.5 dunno about that, it would be a person to person preference Smile

[Image: elfenliednx4.jpg]
10-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Find
Rowedekhelicon
Unregistered

Dark_Raver Wrote:1. you mean like in rainbow six raven shield?
*shrugs* I don't play those games, but I'll bet you're right. Smile

Dark_Raver Wrote:2. well it depends on the size the engine supports
but if you make big maps you would have a long initial load but with smaller maps you would have shorter, more frequient loads
Better to have a longer initial load. Even if you have to break up an area into two zones that's still better than the 8 or however many there were in the demo.

Dark_Raver Wrote:3. wel duh, a horror game witouth good sound would totaly suck :p
Well, now I didn't think the tech demo sucked. I just think it could have benefitted from 3d surround sound and environmental audio (echoey corridors and such). But you didn't notice it, did you? Like I said it's not really something you notice when you're without it, but it makes a huge difference when you have it.

Dark_Raver Wrote:4 and 4.5 dunno about that, it would be a person to person preference Smile
I often run out of keyboard space when mapping a large number of commands. Those extra two buttons can help out a lot. The wheel might just help in cycling the quick bar items like Deus Ex - a convenience more than a necessity.
10-21-2006, 03:20 AM
gamgam2 Offline

Threads: 23

If I understand what your saying, being able to turn idems in your hands and stuff, that could work possible.
Have the mouse scrole turn it forward and and back.
have a different mouse key turn it left and right.
Could work....Might work as a distraction to a monster, have a ball type thing and roll it accross the floor...O_o

Sometimes, if you look carefully at a wall for a few minutes, you'll realize you wasted some time.  It's true.
10-21-2006, 04:17 AM
Website Find
Rowedekhelicon
Unregistered

No, no. I meant change the inventory item you are holding. The mouse wheel cycles which of the numbered inventory items are currently readied/equipped. Maybe a quick bar HUD could fade into view when you scroll letting you know the next and previous items (like Thief: Deadly Shadows). Just for a touch of class. Wink

I'd like to add a couple more control ideas, too:

1. Turning while dragging. It doesn't make any sense why I shouldn't be able to turn while dragging a crate. A very heavy crate, alright, but for a little fruit crate I think there should be more maneuverability. Heck, we should be able to lift medium sized crates. Wink

2. Reduce the radius occupied by player character's body. It's irritating having to step to the side to open drawers. Since there is no visible body who's to say how much space your body takes up? Better to give us a little bit more of that room for practical use.
10-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Dark Offline

Rowedekhelicon Wrote:
Dark_Raver Wrote:1. you mean like in rainbow six raven shield?
*shrugs* I don't play those games, but I'll bet you're right. Smile

well let me explain the Smile, it had a smooth movement key, when you hold it and move your mous from left to right will cause it to lean (the farther you pushed the farther he will lean) and from top to bottom to crouch and stand
but now you mention thats a verry good idea to implent :p

10-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Find
Unregistered

Seems to be working just fine for me. And you are off-topic.
10-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Dark Offline

they are having some problems with the host.

back on topic: i think they allso should make outdoor areas, like you need to go out into the snow storm to take a different entrance or something like that.

10-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Find
Unregistered

There will be outdoor areas in the game.
10-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Dark Offline

yes but they will be really small due to engine limits.

10-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Find