Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kontor New Media
PlasmaPurple Offline

Threads: 1
Kontor New Media

I recently recorded some gameplay of Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs and uploaded it to YouTube. After uploading to YouTube I recieved a copyright claim from Kontor New Media for a small portion of the video. I did a bit of research and found that many people seem to have issues with Kontor New Media's copyright claims. I looked into the portion of the video with the copyright claim and found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61FlXh8xBHw. The audio clip seems to be taken directly from the game, which is why it would create the copyright claim.

My question is, does Kontor New Media have the copyright on this audio? Like I said, it seems to be directly from the game so the only way Kontor New Media would have the rights would be if they were given the rights by Frictional Games (I would think). I just thought I would check here before disputing the copyright claim, in case Kontor New Media does have the copyright on the audio.
04-02-2016, 06:53 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: Kontor New Media

Machine for Pigs was developed by a third-party company (The Chinese Room) and is having different composer (Jessica Curry) than The Dark Descent (Mikko Tarmia) so I don't think it has anything to do with Frictional Games. I have never heard anybody getting any sort of claims on YouTube when it comes to Frictional Games' software and on top of that Frictional Games are neutral about YouTube let's plays, gameplays and whatever else people post about their games. That's why we have this section here.

However, you can dispute the claim one time and they then have to either accept or decline your request. If they decline, the advertisement will come on the video. I had one time a claim on a video of mine and disputed it based on the info YouTube gave me. They declined and the advertisement remained, I didn't take it any further because with more digging I discovered the info was a bit wrong so I couldn't straight found the song. YouTube is no man's land when it comes to individuals. Better be safe than sorry is what I'd say, at least until you get a network behind you... On top of that, the ID system is fully automated so if it thinks it hears something, when it even isn't, it will give you a claim despite it being wrong.

04-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Website Find
PlasmaPurple Offline

Threads: 1

(04-02-2016, 01:22 PM)IIPEE Wrote: Machine for Pigs was developed by a third-party company (The Chinese Room) and is having different composer (Jessica Curry) than The Dark Descent (Mikko Tarmia) so I don't think it has anything to do with Frictional Games. I have never heard anybody getting any sort of claims on YouTube when it comes to Frictional Games' software and on top of that Frictional Games are neutral about YouTube let's plays, gameplays and whatever else people post about their games. That's why we have this section here.

However, you can dispute the claim one time and they then have to either accept or decline your request. If they decline, the advertisement will come on the video. I had one time a claim on a video of mine and disputed it based on the info YouTube gave me. They declined and the advertisement remained, I didn't take it any further because with more digging I discovered the info was a bit wrong so I couldn't straight found the song. YouTube is no man's land when it comes to individuals. Better be safe than sorry is what I'd say, at least until you get a network behind you... On top of that, the ID system is fully automated so if it thinks it hears something, when it even isn't, it will give you a claim despite it being wrong.

Thank you for your reply, I don't think I'll be disputing my particular claim (I have no need to dispute the claim), I was more concerned that Kontor New Media may be abusing YouTube's Content ID system with copyright claims they do not own. I understand this is developed by the Chinese Room and composed by Jessica Curry so this may be an issue for them, but I just wanted to check if Frictional Games had a license or some other agreement with Kontor New Media (I couldn't seem to find anything through google or these forums). Once again thanks for your reply and insight.
04-02-2016, 07:07 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(04-02-2016, 07:07 PM)PlasmaPurple Wrote: I was more concerned that Kontor New Media may be abusing YouTube's Content ID system with copyright claims they do not own.

It may be. I have never even heard of Kontor New Media and I've been here since 2007.

04-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Website Find