Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a Talented Scripter (Willing To Pay)
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Need a Talented Scripter (Willing To Pay)

(04-22-2016, 11:18 AM)Spelos Wrote: @Romulator
I would disagree,
while many of your points are true I wouldn't say that Amnesia's scripting is "basic".
Yes, many people use it in the most simple ways possible, there is space for large and complex systems.

Oh don't get me wrong, the coding isn't necessarily "basic", however, I'm referring to it more that most of the functions and scripting is predone.

SetEntityActive(); for example, is the label you specify to call pre-done code which causes the entity to spawn. You don't have to write the core language that happens within the SetEntityActive, just the values that need to parse into it.

Furthermore, I also mean basic as a relative term. HPL2, relative to say, C, is basic. However, one may consider it to be a bit of a step up from Lua.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
04-24-2016, 11:41 AM
Find
Koopa Rs07 Offline

Threads: 30

(04-23-2016, 10:13 PM)WALP Wrote: If the demo is misleading as to what the final version will be, you would be better off taking it down.
You do have a good point there.

04-25-2016, 12:54 AM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

I kinda disagree with WALP and AGP. Between a mod's tech/demo/alpha and it's final release, alot of changes are going to be made and I think saying that it is "great disrespect" to give the audience something that is bigger and better than the demo is afar off claim if you asked me. Keep the demo up if you want.
04-25-2016, 01:35 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(04-25-2016, 01:35 PM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: I kinda disagree with WALP and AGP. Between a mod's tech/demo/alpha and it's final release, alot of changes are going to be made and I think saying that it is "great disrespect" to give the audience something that is bigger and better than the demo is afar off claim if you asked me. Keep the demo up if you want.
I dunno about the disrespect shit, but if in your demo you demonstrate that the final product is going to be something worse or different than from what it actually ends up being, then people may based on that demo decide to skip the final better product all together because they think it will be like the demo.

on another note I really dont think you need a demo for a mod, plenty of work just getting the main mod finished.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2016, 01:56 PM by WALP.)
04-25-2016, 01:49 PM
Find

(04-25-2016, 01:49 PM)WALP Wrote: I dunno about the disrespect shit, but if in your demo you demonstrate that the final product is going to be something worse or different than from what it actually ends up being, then people may based on that demo decide to skip the final better product all together because they think it will be like the demo.

on another note I really dont think you need a demo for a mod, plenty of work just getting the main mod finished.

Well that's the problem with demos and I agree that theres plenty of work that needs to be done with the final product, it really depends on the mod itself if it needs a demo, if you have interesting ideas/gameplay mechanics to show off and build up hype/interest for the mod like the Penumbra: Necrologue demo, then I say go for it.
04-25-2016, 02:22 PM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19

I would simply say that the WHOLE concept of "DEMO" is very twisted in modding communities.

What are people doing DEMOs for? Attention, mostly.
Yet, it is a bad marketing move to release a DEMO a year or two before the actual product.
The Hype will die out and you just fulfill your need for validation.

DEMO as in demonstration has its purpose if you have something to show. Like an engine.
It makes sense for someone to DEMO their custom engine and show its capabilities, or you could perhaps create a DEMO if you're using all your custom assets, then you're DEMOing the art style.

But DEMOing a story is in my opinion called a spoiler more than anything else.
04-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Find

(04-25-2016, 03:20 PM)Spelos Wrote: I would simply say that the WHOLE concept of "DEMO" is very twisted in modding communities.

What are people doing DEMOs for? Attention, mostly.
Yet, it is a bad marketing move to release a DEMO a year or two before the actual product.
The Hype will die out and you just fulfill your need for validation.

DEMO as in demonstration has its purpose if you have something to show. Like an engine.
It makes sense for someone to DEMO their custom engine and show its capabilities, or you could perhaps create a DEMO if you're using all your custom assets, then you're DEMOing the art style.

But DEMOing a story is in my opinion called a spoiler more than anything else.

But you skipped over the fact what if some demos show different/altered gameplay. Nercologue's Demo was released almost a year before the actual product was released but now the mod's one of the most popular amnesia mods out there.
04-25-2016, 05:02 PM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19

Yes, just like the art style or engine capabilities, gameplay is one of the things that is worth DEMOing, if it's different enough.

The Nercologue's Demo example you provided is not against what I'm saying. Yes, there are mods that can and do release a DEMO very early and their marketing suffers to it. I'm not saying that if you release a DEMO a year before the full game, that you cannot succeed.

But try to imagine if the Necrologue's Demo was released like two weeks prior to the main game.
At the Hype's peak. Imagine how much more exposure it could have gotten.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2016, 05:55 AM by Spelos.)
04-26-2016, 05:53 AM
Find

(04-26-2016, 05:53 AM)Spelos Wrote: But try to imagine if the Necrologue's Demo was released like two weeks prior to the main game.
At the Hype's peak. Imagine how much more exposure it could have gotten.
Yes, the hype would have been more but it seemed more like a win win scenario. Even though it was released way before the actual product, it did draw an audience.
04-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I think the demo would not have made a noticeable difference in exposure, since the mod is free regardless.

demo is only really good if there's something you have a boner for showing off early, or you want to show off the quality of your mod to get people to join the project.
04-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Find