Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Window keeps minimizing after I start game, and a friend's lag/sound issue
Nauticus89 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago Window keeps minimizing after I start game, and a friend's lag/sound issue

This happens with Penumbra as well. After launching the game in Steam, the game minimizes immediately and my mouse is stuck in the top left corner of my screen. When I alt+tab to the Amnesia window, it quickly closes again. I have to close the game with ctrl+alt+delete to regain control of my mouse. My video card is a GTX 260, updated to latest drivers, running the latest DirectX. I had this problem using older drivers, so I upgraded but it's still happening. I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 32. The fact that this occurs with both Penumbra and Amnesia suggests there is a problem with the engine. Also, this happens randomly - sometimes it opens fine, but when it does not, it usually persists until I restart or give up for a while.

My friends problem, as described by him:

Quote:In first level containing water (which is in the demo as well), the game starts to lag horribly while the sound cuts out erratically. After several restarts, and settings tweaking, the problem still exists. Normally the lag and sound issue will be present upon the main menu loading after encountering the water monster Also, the firewire light on my audio interface blinks when the sound is cutting out, suggesting that it might be conflicting with my software/hardware.

To clarify, his game has been fine up to that point.
09-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Find
dwulf Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago RE: Window keeps minimizing after I start game, and a friend's lag/sound issue

I am having the exact same problem with the game minimizing and locking the mouse in the top left corner. It gets to the Frictional logo screen and then minimizes every time. The only difference for me is that it crashes windows explorer every single time the game minimizes, including multiple times on the same instance of the game. The weird thing is that the game runs completely fine in windowed mode. So far that is the only way I can play the game, but it ruins the immersion and this game is all about immersion so at this point I basically can't play. Would love any help anyone can offer in getting this game to work fullscreen. Thanks.

Edit: I have all the latest drivers, firmware and DirectX for my system, too.

My system:
EVGA nForce 750i mobo
Intel Core Quad Q6600 @ 2.4ghz cpu
4gb DDR2 800 ram
EVGA GTX285 1gb videocard
Win 7 Ultimate O/S
09-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Find
JoeK Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago RE: Window keeps minimizing after I start game, and a friend's lag/sound issue

Whenever the game keeps minimizing for me, when you unminimize with alt+tab (alt+shift+tab helps), mash the enter key. It seems like some kind of skippable video is causing the minimizing, so hitting the enter key makes the game get past it.
09-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Find
Nauticus89 Offline

Threads: 1

(09-11-2010, 11:30 AM)JoeK Wrote: Whenever the game keeps minimizing for me, when you unminimize with alt+tab (alt+shift+tab helps), mash the enter key. It seems like some kind of skippable video is causing the minimizing, so hitting the enter key makes the game get past it.

Thanks, that worked for me.

Turns out my friend's issue was fixed by getting new RAM.
09-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

For minimize error: Try launching Amnesia.exe directly from the install folder.
09-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Find
Stemot Offline

It appears this is a bug with Firefox 3.6 and it also happens with other games. Basically don't have Firefox open when running the game and all will be fine.
09-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Find