Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Overture Crashes on path to refinary
Zaiaku Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago Overture Crashes on path to refinary

Hey, I have an issue at the momment. Every time I try to get to the Refinary, the game crashes and Linux asks me to sign back into my user profile. Happens every time without fail.

Using Ubuntu 10.4

Any ideas on how to remedy this problem.

And to be more spacific: On the way to the refinary, Just around the corner from the refinary door. Theres a path guarded by a dog there just before it. As soon as I pass the dog and go half way from there to the corner, it crashes.
09-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago RE: Overture Crashes on path to refinary

The game crashes ? Or X crashes? From your description it sounds as though your whole X is crashing. Do you have the latest drivers for you video card? What video card do you have??

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
09-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Website Find
Zaiaku Offline

Not sure what you mean by X.

But I think you may be right... Overture freezes a momment then crashes along with Ubuntu. I only know it brings me back to the log in screen cause i went and signed out of my user and got the same screen I got when it crashed. (By default, reseting or turning my pc back on brings me directly to my main and only profile.))

I have Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family as a vid card and it is upto date ((Ubuntu forums helped with this.))

The thing that bugs the hell out of me is that its just that one place...I scowered the rest of the floor and nothing went wrong. No issues. Just when heading to the refinary, Boom, same spot, give or take a few steps.
09-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

X or The X Windows System is the Graphical interface in Linux. (as opposed to the text mode interface).

Intel cards are, unfortunately, notorious for being bad cards. Mainly due to the poor quality drivers. They are not an officially supported card due to the fact that the drivers are so bad on platforms (Windows and Mac OS X included). I'm honestly surprised the game actually ran on that card as it has previously been known to not work at all. Have you tried reducing the graphics quality and seeing of you can get past?

09-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Website Find
Zaiaku Offline

Uh...Ya I have...They are and always were on the lowest settings. I've never had a issue with the card. Hell I can run WoW on its lowest settings with no issues (When I had windows) I also tryed Penumbra on windows before i blew it up and it ran fine(Never got to the refinery). And if it was the issue with the card, I would have assumed it would have happed before this point and at this point every time since theres more graphical intensive places before the hallway (Turning on the power generator for example)

I think I seen someone else with roughly the same problem with a ATI card but I could be wrong.

And since Ubuntu came with the drivers for the graphics card, I kinda assumed it would have been supported to some extent. But thats just me.
09-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

the drivers included in Ubuntu are just the open source drivers. And if the whole GUI is crashing it is ,unfortunately, a driver issue. I'd suggest seeing if there are any updates to the kernel/drivers from ubuntu and asking around the ubuntu forums for extra help on updating to newer versions of the intel graphics card drivers.

09-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Website Find
Zaiaku Offline

Well...while I was waiting for a reply from the ubuntu forums on where and how to get said updates and whatnot, I powered my way threw that single spot (Held down W and coughed, sputtered and lagged my way to the door and clicked it.) Was smooth sailing from there right to the end of the game.
09-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Find