Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are attempts at custom mission making with the demo assets meaningless ?
Petike Offline

Threads: 35
Sad  Are attempts at custom mission making with the demo assets meaningless ?

I just want to be sure, since I was hoping to take a stroll through a custom-made map or two. But I get the feeling that any attempt at deeper modding without the full game is basically worthless.

Note : I can't and don't want to buy Amnesia digitally. I'd prefer a published, boxed version - but that's virtually impossible now and who knows if FG will have enough revenue out of the sales to try and get the game republished by someone a year or two later... A pity really. Sad Here's hoping it'll have a regular release one day... Until then, I guess I'll have to just wait (since pirating games isn't my style, thankfully).

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
09-19-2010, 03:38 AM
Find
Zanderat Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Are attempts at custom mission making with the demo assets meaningless ?

You are losing me here. What exactly is wrong with purchasing a digital version? Same game. Methinks you just cheap.
09-19-2010, 04:05 AM
Find
Petike Offline

(09-19-2010, 04:05 AM)Zanderat Wrote: You are losing me here. What exactly is wrong with purchasing a digital version? Same game. Methinks you just cheap.

Well, simply put, I'm no expert on digital payments and I just like it better when I have something more than just an install executable and manual at hand.

But is modding with the demo possible or should I just give up and wait ?

09-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

(09-19-2010, 12:55 PM)Petike Wrote:
(09-19-2010, 04:05 AM)Zanderat Wrote: You are losing me here. What exactly is wrong with purchasing a digital version? Same game. Methinks you just cheap.

Well, simply put, I'm no expert on digital payments and I just like it better when I have something more than just an install executable and manual at hand.

But is modding with the demo possible or should I just give up and wait ?

Probably possible. Legal? Probably not.

[Image: 16455.png]
09-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Find
Jinix Offline

Threads: 8

I have digital downloads as a preference now.
It's much handier.

No limit to how many times I download them - so when I have to change drives or computers I just download my games again.
No bother with lost or damaged disks or forgotten serial numbers.
I get my games from direct2drive. ( I don't know anything about Steam, but I gather they are the same sort of company.
Don't hold out as pretty soon the only way to buy any software will be by download.

Young, new software companies are bringing the cost of games down and saving you the distributors fees and the cost of packaging. Not to mention that the environment is better off without all the plastic, cardboard, inks and other crap that goes into the making. Plus there is no shipping costs, postage costs nor fuel burned to ship the game across the country to a store near you.
in fact if you love the planet don't be part of all that terrible waste.
Go Green! Go Digital!

=================

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Find
theDARKW0LF Offline

Threads: 17

(09-19-2010, 07:00 PM)Jinix Wrote: I have digital downloads as a preference now.
It's much handier.

No limit to how many times I download them - so when I have to change drives or computers I just download my games again.
No bother with lost or damaged disks or forgotten serial numbers.
I get my games from direct2drive. ( I don't know anything about Steam, but I gather they are the same sort of company.
Don't hold out as pretty soon the only way to buy any software will be by download.

Young, new software companies are bringing the cost of games down and saving you the distributors fees and the cost of packaging. Not to mention that the environment is better off without all the plastic, cardboard, inks and other crap that goes into the making. Plus there is no shipping costs, postage costs nor fuel burned to ship the game across the country to a store near you.
in fact if you love the planet don't be part of all that terrible waste.
Go Green! Go Digital!

=================

Agreed, but you should really start using Steam, it's miles ahead of any other digital downloading service out there.

Check out my custom stories(1)(2)!
09-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Find
Pandemoneus Offline

Threads: 2

The only thing that people don't like about digital distribution is that you can't sell your games (at least not legally) since they are bound to an account. They also fear that once the servers of those distributors shut down they won't be able to get their game anymore and is therefor lost.

09-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Find
Petike Offline

You know, I'm not sure which retailer I should go for. I'd go for Valve, but I dislike the idea of being always connected to the internet or dependent on the site for running the game.

Do all retailers have this as their policy or is there some exception (where you pay for the game, download it and "keep it forever") ? Thanks in advance for any replies.

09-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

If you get it directly from Frictional's store, you get an actual installer that you can love, honor, and cherish...or burn it on a CD or whatever. It does not manacle your soul to any "convenient", authoritative computer program, like Steam does.

As for other locations, like Gamersgate or Direct2Drive, I have no experience with them.
09-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

(09-28-2010, 07:24 PM)graykin Wrote: As for other locations, like Gamersgate or Direct2Drive, I have no experience with them.

If you buy the game at GamersGate, you'll get an installer too and you can download the game as often as you want.

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
09-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Find