Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Horror movies?
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26
Horror movies?

Recommend any horror movies? Indie, cult, classics... whatever's good.

Not an image
09-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Horror movies?

la Horde / THe Horde ...

be sure to watch the un-cut/unrated version ...

trailer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBlFJIherNQ

?
09-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Website Find
Jinix Offline

Threads: 8

http://www.zombiac.com
for the Black and White Classic
Night of the Living Dead!
Watch on the webpage - no need to download.
Also there is Nosferatu and Hunchback of Notre Dame

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Find
superluser Offline

Threads: 3

Any list of horror films needs to mention John Carpenter's The Thing. He understands that nothing is scarier.

If I recall correctly, this is one of the reasons why Frictional made Penumbra in a frozen climate and why there are dogs.
09-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Find
Torque Offline

Threads: 0

Yeah many people noticed Lovecraftian mood in penumbra: overture but I associate it with The Thing for sure.)
09-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Find
Jinix Offline

(09-21-2010, 01:59 PM)superluser Wrote: Any list of horror films needs to mention John Carpenter's The Thing. He understands that nothing is scarier.

If I recall correctly, this is one of the reasons why Frictional made Penumbra in a frozen climate and why there are dogs.

Well I read this and remembered I had the movie The Thing, so I put it in and just finished watching it.

It's okay but I can't see any scary parts. Just gory, but nothing frightening.
Special effects are good, something like Alien , but like nothing made me jump out of my skin or feel terror or fear.

Having lots of people in a show just so they can be bumped off to show blood and gore prevents me from getting to feel anything for any one of them. Maybe the book would do it but not that movie.
If there were only one or two characters and the movie got me to the point of liking or even relating to them in some way, I might feel some of their terror or fear during it. But there are no characters that I cared whether they got eaten or not. The ending of the movie made me think right away that it was a pilot for a tv series.
I'm sure millions will disagree with me.

If the suspense is notched right up to a good level then then a movie can be scary. Like watching a girl you want to bed, creeping down long dark corridors in a hunted house. And talking about girls, I wonder why they didn't put a couple of gals in that movie?

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Find
Torque Offline

(09-21-2010, 05:30 PM)Jinix Wrote: And talking about girls, I wonder why they didn't put a couple of gals in that movie?
Why?Smile
09-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Find
Jinix Offline

(09-21-2010, 06:02 PM)Torque Wrote:
(09-21-2010, 05:30 PM)Jinix Wrote: And talking about girls, I wonder why they didn't put a couple of gals in that movie?
Why?Smile

The guys in that movie have nothing likable about them, so they should have some gals that you can feel for. A nice looking woman in the same room as a monster, makes the monster seem far more threatening with it's repugnant ugliness is a contrast to her feminine beauty.
In that movie I felt more sympathy for the alien, than the actors.
The special effects were quite impressively done.

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Find
Torque Offline

(09-21-2010, 06:38 PM)Jinix Wrote: The guys in that movie have nothing likable about them, so they should have some gals that you can feel for. A nice looking woman in the same room as a monster, makes the monster seem far more threatening with it's repugnant ugliness is a contrast to her feminine beauty.

Don't get me wrong but it looks like mainstream point of view for me. Besides there is polar station and its not women work at all.

btw The Thing prequel coming out next year with woman as main character. So I think you'll like it.)
09-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Find