Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New tutorials
Alienchild Offline

Threads: 8
RE: New tutorials

You know what, F it. Anything outside the wiki obviously doesn't help anyone and is only there to confuse the community. Maybe if I had written it in my mother tounge in the wiki...

Site is down and will stay down. Thanks.
09-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Find
Jinix Offline

(09-22-2010, 11:13 AM)jens Wrote: The idea behind the wiki is to work together, like some have already begun to do, so the base that we added is constantly improved and added to. It helps the community and is of benefit for everyone.

This is totally true. I agree 100%.

But there is room for lots of different ways to explain something.
Some people are not team players and want to do things their way, not the expected way.
When I taught workplace adults how to use computers for word processing and spreadsheets back in the early eighties, my largest and most successful group were always those who could not understand the more organized way of learning at 'proper' business schools.
His tutorials may not be organized, polished or even 100% correct but nonetheless it's a different way to say the same thing. There are some who may get a point faster by reading his way then the wiki way.

Organized teaching generally leads a student by the hand step by step in an orderly process. Most people can and do follow that and can learn. But not all, and alternative teaching methods can help those students.

Of course this will be a quaint topic very shortly as all the tutorials will be on YouTube.

You can help out at the wiki Alienchild by placing a link to them so someone that finishes your tuts can dig deeper.
(09-22-2010, 12:10 PM)Alienchild Wrote: You know what, F it. Anything outside the wiki obviously doesn't help anyone and is only there to confuse the community. Maybe if I had written it in my mother tounge in the wiki...

That's awful news, wow! Don't give up so easily.
You have a great idea for what you want to do and just because Jens is wanting the wiki to be the only place to learn how to use the editor, don't take offense. He's just trying to keep everything in one place.

Come on! put your site back up and lets make it work for you.

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2010, 12:18 PM by Jinix.)
09-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

(09-22-2010, 12:10 PM)Alienchild Wrote: You know what, F it. Anything outside the wiki obviously doesn't help anyone and is only there to confuse the community. Maybe if I had written it in my mother tounge in the wiki...

Chandler: "Could you be any more immature?"

[Image: 16455.png]
09-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Find
gosseyn Offline

Threads: 7

Alienchild, don't listen to Mulle, he is just jealous, because he wants all the focus on him, he wants "internets" (what a stupid thing anyway).
09-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Find
Jinix Offline

I'm not going to click to find out, but what are internets?
Other than ugly banners I mean.

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Find
enk Offline

Threads: 0

Maybe there could be a tutorials sticky?
I had a brief look at your tutorial alienchild I didn't think it was confusing
you never know it may help someone =)
Unfortunately I don't have 3dsmax - i am using blender.

I'll be possibly making a tutorial on how to import custom models from blender, such as this rather ordinary looking sandstone block =P

[img][Image: Amnesia2010-09-2302-58-04-01.jpg][/img]
09-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Find
mitchell Offline

Threads: 3

(09-22-2010, 06:03 PM)enk Wrote: Maybe there could be a tutorials sticky?
I had a brief look at your tutorial alienchild I didn't think it was confusing
you never know it may help someone =)
Unfortunately I don't have 3dsmax - i am using blender.

I'll be possibly making a tutorial on how to import custom models from blender, such as this rather ordinary looking sandstone block =P

[img][Image: Amnesia2010-09-2302-58-04-01.jpg][/img]

Pleeeeeeese do enk Rolleyes

i need a proper tutotial on how an object i made in blender be textured and put it into the game. i would pay for that! lol
talking of pay, think ill by the Penumbra gold stuf on steam soon. i want to know i will have these games forever Smile
09-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

(09-22-2010, 01:44 PM)gosseyn Wrote: Alienchild, don't listen to Mulle, he is just jealous, because he wants all the focus on him, he wants "internets" (what a stupid thing anyway).

Oh, yea, I'm sorry. You're right. Now that I read it again, his post is very mature:

More seriously: No one forced him to put it on the wiki. He was just encouraged to do so.

[Image: 16455.png]
09-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Find
Alienchild Offline

My problem was never that I felt forced in any way to put it on the wiki. My problem was that I tried to make an effort at helping the community and the response was simply "don't do it like that, do it like this". My explanation as to why I didn't want to put it in the wiki was simply put because I don't like wikis, although I guess I could have formulated the answer better. I happen to think that wikis are great for looking up information, but I wanted to organize it and format it in my own way. When that was clearly not what the community was looking for then there is no reason for me to continue. I have my own friggin game engine to document, so my time is better spent there.
09-24-2010, 03:20 AM
Find
enk Offline

Threads: 0

Quote:i need a proper tutotial on how an object i made in blender be textured and put it into the game. i would pay for that! lol

I'll start a basic one now.
ill post it here in an hour or so =)
I'll be saving everything into a folder in amnesia's 'ENTITIES' directory.

1. Make a folder inside the entities folder. Mine is called tutorial.

Grab the texture you are going to use. Mine is called tiles.dds.
I made this with GIMP and a dds plugin.
Copy your texture inside this folder.

[Image: b6.jpg]

2. Open blender. I have made a simple slab.

Hit TAB (go into edit mode), with everything selected, hit U, select Unwrap. (UV unwrap)
Hit F6 to go to materials tab, under texture type, select image -(if you can't see this, try hitting F5 and creating a new object)
Over to the right, press load, Load the texture from the file in entities

[Image: b3.jpg]

Hit F6 to go to materials tab, under texture type, select image -(if you can't see this, try hitting F5 and creating a new object)
Over to the right, press load, Load the texture from the file in entities.

Save your blender file in the folder.

[Image: expo.jpg]

Go file -> export -> COLLADA 1.4.
Make sure it exports inside your folder with everything else, with the same name as the texture.

Open up ModelEditor, import the mesh (the .dae)

If it worked correctly, it should be there. It won't be textured. Make a .Mat file with the model editor (the '+' sign)
Use solid diffuse, add a diffuse texture with the same name. Save the .Mat file in the same folder with the same name aswell. Save it, and re-import the mesh.

Now, you can give it a body as shown in this tutorial
http://hpl2.frictionalgames.com/tutorial...tutorial_1

You need to
and use it in your level
[Image: b7.jpg]

Of course, this a very brief tutorial.
I'm new to modding and 3d art in general and have run into lots of problems.
The biggest of which, is when importing the mesh into the Model Editor, it is either invisible (untextured) or not there at all.
If this happens, You need to make a .MAT file, or unwrapping the model once again.

When your model has a whole bunch of vertices, it gets more complicated, and will have to use the UV image editor mode to get the texture to sit properly on your model. (you can find this by changing the 'window type' - a tiny little box in the lower left of blender).

Anyway, I hope this helps, good luck =)
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2010, 10:36 AM by enk.)
09-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Find