Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Increase Frame rate in map
Digital Storm Offline

Threads: 1
Question  Increase Frame rate in map

Hey everyone been working on my level for awhile now but it's started to run slow and its still only very small. Is there anything that you can do to speed it up. FYI I have a lot of models and such in it for example book piles things like that.

Thanks for your help everyone. Smile
09-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Find
Pandemoneus Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Increase Frame rate in map

Do you use a lot of lights? If yes, you might want to check the Light Tutorial on the wiki, it contains an optimization section at the bottom.

http://hpl2.frictionalgames.com/tutorial...tutorial_2

09-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Find
Digital Storm Offline

I have tried all the light optimizations and it still runs slow, it shouldn't its a really small level so far only like 3 rooms. Ive been watching the frames and they seem to spike and drop like one second the game will be running 50 fps just fine then suddenly drop to below 30 then spike back up to 50 or higher without me doing anything other then standing in the one place and it continues to do that the whole time while playing the level.
09-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Find
Neurological Offline

Threads: 11

(09-24-2010, 01:18 AM)Digital Storm Wrote: I have tried all the light optimizations and it still runs slow, it shouldn't its a really small level so far only like 3 rooms. Ive been watching the frames and they seem to spike and drop like one second the game will be running 50 fps just fine then suddenly drop to below 30 then spike back up to 50 or higher without me doing anything other then standing in the one place and it continues to do that the whole time while playing the level.

Remember also to uncheck the CastShadows on objects that shouldn't cast them, like carpets or static small items like books in a shelf that can't be moved, Ambient Occlusion is good enough for such objects.

Usually I deactivate also shadows on level doors, as they are only one side and I don't care about shadows on the handle. Another thing for plane objects like dust or dirt is to deactivate also the collision.

Neurological - Music Entertainment
http://www.neuro-lab.net
09-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Find
Digital Storm Offline

Thanks guys for your help none of it fixed the problem but I did find out what was causing it, It was because I was running the game in windowed mode as soon as I ran the game full screen it ran really fast. However on the bright side now my map is really optimized now and should run fast for hopefully everyone. Thanks for your replies.
09-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Find
Neurological Offline

Threads: 11

Glad you solved it Smile. Looking forward to see your creation.

Neurological - Music Entertainment
http://www.neuro-lab.net
09-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Find
Pandemoneus Offline

Threads: 2

Testing in full screen always gives me problems. When I alt + tab to windows my cursor gets stuck in the top left corner until I tab back into the game. That's why I kinda have to use windowed mode. Tongue

09-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Find
Digital Storm Offline

(09-25-2010, 12:21 AM)Pandemoneus Wrote: Testing in full screen always gives me problems. When I alt + tab to windows my cursor gets stuck in the top left corner until I tab back into the game. That's why I kinda have to use windowed mode. Tongue

That is the exact same reason why I used windowed mode. My map so far is only small but i intend of making it a lot bigger.
09-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Find