Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

This game is gonna explode.. soon
OO Agent Offline

Threads: 5
RE: This game is gonna explode.. soon

Exactly, i dont think many people take his review seriously anymore. he does bring up valid points but for the most part its just entertainment.

Frictional Games will remain indie for now, as far as i can tell. and they could still get a major publishing offer and still stay independent (Valve, Bungie for instance) And from all their games i've played so far, they seem to have a real passion for the games they create. i doubt theyll turn into the greedy, money-sucking companies that so many developers eventually turn into. The game isnt mainstream, and mainstream isnt what theyre going for. Their games arent going to be for everyone, but for those who are able to enjoy their games, they will be treated to some of the most original and terrifying experiences in gaming.

EDIT: and i absolutely love the "pay it forward" idea. theres no community i have EVER come across in gaming that has half as much passion towards an indie developer that ive seen towards FG. it really shows how much the community cares and how their games impact us all.
09-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Find
CD Set Offline

Threads: 1

(09-24-2010, 03:34 PM)Jinix Wrote: If the big game makers get too worried they will just buy out FG.
If not, and FG does end up with a mega hit, then FG will most likely start to make games to try and please everybody. Xbox, Playstation, age ratings etc.
If that happens the next game will be more professionally done and take it's place in the -just-like-the-others category.
Only a few of us will lose out and so it won't really matter in the long term.

Actually, I think the opposite would apply. If Frictional were to receive lots of compensation and become practically independent economically, they could finally create the game that they actually want to create, with the money they have at the disposal (and I think it's fairly obvious that they do want to create original and creative content).

As it stands right now, my guess would be that they would be more prone to create a "lackluster standard game" if they didn't earn much from Amnesia, as they are then forced to create a less niched game to appeal to the masses (to survive as a company at all.)
09-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Find
superluser Offline

Threads: 3

(09-24-2010, 03:55 PM)Al3xand3r Wrote: Yahtzee's "review"

Just to clarify, Yahtzee said he bought it. He has not said that he will review it. Heck, he hasn't even said he'll play it.

Also, every time I read the subject line here, I can't help thinking of Mission Impossible. ``Good morning, Mr. Phelps...''
09-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Find
ladoga Offline

Threads: 0

I'm sure that mention on slashdot would greatly affect linux sales. (remember Humble Indie Bundle) Most of people aren't just aware of the game, especially in circles that aren't target audience for windows gaming sites.
09-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

That reddit gift thread is already at over 700 upvotes :O

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
09-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Find
Blackhand Offline

Threads: 1

(09-24-2010, 05:42 PM)superluser Wrote:
(09-24-2010, 03:55 PM)Al3xand3r Wrote: Yahtzee's "review"

Just to clarify, Yahtzee said he bought it. He has not said that he will review it. Heck, he hasn't even said he'll play it.

Also, every time I read the subject line here, I can't help thinking of Mission Impossible. ``Good morning, Mr. Phelps...''

I'm pretty sure if he finds something he particularly likes, or hates about the game he will review it.
09-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Find
superluser Offline

(09-24-2010, 10:42 PM)Blackhand Wrote: I'm pretty sure if he finds something he particularly likes, or hates about the game he will review it.

He might not if he hates it. He was an indie game developer once, and he might consider it mean to piss on a small-time developer. I don't know.

I'm just trying to prevent a massive letdown if he doesn't review it.
09-25-2010, 06:19 AM
Find
Zanderat Offline

Old dude here. Who the hell is Yahtzee and why is his opinion so important?
09-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Find
superluser Offline

(09-25-2010, 01:32 PM)Zanderat Wrote: Old dude here. Who the hell is Yahtzee and why is his opinion so important?

[Image: th_yahtzee.jpg]

Yahtzee. He was an independent adventure game developer. People liked the games, and then he started making funny video game review videos online.

If you think that's a winning combination, you're right. He's got a British accent, too, which people always like for whatever reason, even though he's not British (he was born in England, but lives in Australia).

His typical review goes something like ``I hated this game it was overproduced typical game industry twaddle the game developers should have kneed me in the balls it would feel better than this crap the interface is actually pretty good though when not trying to sell hookers which feels like trying to floss your eyeballs with barbed wire.''
09-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Find
OO Agent Offline

Threads: 5

(09-25-2010, 03:05 PM)superluser Wrote: His typical review goes something like ``I hated this game it was overproduced typical game industry twaddle the game developers should have kneed me in the balls it would feel better than this crap the interface is actually pretty good though when not trying to sell hookers which feels like trying to floss your eyeballs with barbed wire.''

yup, thats pretty much spot on XD but somehow he makes it funny every week, so its worth watching
09-26-2010, 01:10 AM
Find