Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mouse pointer disappears upon launch; can't start demo
THWIP71 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Mouse pointer disappears upon launch; can't start demo

I saw a couple threads concerning a similar issue (yes, I used the Search function), but no resolutions were offered from Tech Support for any of them. Hopefully I'll have better luck (and service).

So, I've checked all drivers (fully updated), tried different resolutions, messed with mouse settings, yada, yada, yada. Plain and simple: this game renders my PC useless, by hijacking my mouse, forcing me to do a hard shutdown on my PC (which I HATE doing). I can't even shut down the demo via TaskManager, because my mouse is still inoperable while ATDD is still running.

The issue seems to happen AFTER I proceed from the setup menu, and actually launch the game. After that point, no more mouse....and no way to proceed beyond the profile creation screen (got to that point by advancing through the screens with ESC).

I've NEVER had this happen before with any other game, so I'm in the dark here. Any help would be appreciated...ESPECIALLY from FG staff.

BTW, I got the demo from bigdownloads.com....NOT Steam (I've learned my lesson from messing with Steam).

EDIT: O.K., so I FINALLY found a windowed-mode that was tolerable (1176 x 664 :o ), and I can at least see my pointer now, and start the game. HOWEVER, the mouse/camera is stuck looking at the floor, and I can only spin in circles when I try to look around.....so the game is STILL unplayable. LOL....what a buggy mess.
09-25-2010, 07:03 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Mouse pointer disappears upon launch; can't start demo

You can use Tab and arrows to close the game. I couldn't fully understand. Mouse is still operable but unseen; or not operable at all?

Try to move your mouse and see if the texts will highlighted.

09-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Website Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Mouse pointer disappears upon launch; can't start demo

What kind of mouse do you have? Do you have dual monitors? Do you have any other device plugged in that might "acting" as a mouse?

I am betting there is some kind of conflict that makes this happen. So try and think of any other device that might be messing things up.
09-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Find
THWIP71 Offline

(09-26-2010, 08:50 PM)Thomas Wrote: What kind of mouse do you have? Do you have dual monitors? Do you have any other device plugged in that might "acting" as a mouse?

I am betting there is some kind of conflict that makes this happen. So try and think of any other device that might be messing things up.

I have ONE MOUSE...from a Logitech MX5500 Bluetooth KB/M combo...and no other devices, bluetooth or otherwise, connected to my PC. And no, I don't have dual monitors.

Is that seriously the best you can offer, after me waiting 2 DAYS for a response from FG ??
09-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Can it be related your 9800gt problem?

09-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Website Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

How does Penumbra work for you? It might be a problem with SDL (the lib that handles input) and if so, it should show up in Penumbra too.

You can find Penumbra here:
http://www.penumbragame.com/

Also try running Amnesia.exe directly might help. (Check your install directory).

Please also attach hpl.log found "My Documents/Amnesia/MainDemo"
09-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Find
THWIP71 Offline

(09-27-2010, 09:33 AM)Thomas Wrote: How does Penumbra work for you? It might be a problem with SDL (the lib that handles input) and if so, it should show up in Penumbra too.

You can find Penumbra here:
http://www.penumbragame.com/

Also try running Amnesia.exe directly might help. (Check your install directory).

Please also attach hpl.log found "My Documents/Amnesia/MainDemo"

Yeah...I'm going to buy an OLDER game from FG, when a NEWER one isn't working with my current PC. WTF kind of moron do you take me to be, exactly? I'd sooner wipe my ass with a $20 bill, and then burn it....which would be about the same thing as spending it on an FG product.
09-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

(09-27-2010, 11:55 AM)THWIP71 Wrote: Yeah...I'm going to buy an OLDER game from FG, when a NEWER one isn't working with my current PC. WTF kind of moron do you take me to be, exactly? I'd sooner wipe my ass with a $20 bill, and then burn it....which would be about the same thing as spending it on an FG product.

You can try demos up there too. You don't have to buy as you don't have to talk that bad.

09-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Website Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

THWIP71:
As Tanshaydar says, I was referring to the demo. Sorry I did not make this clear.
09-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Find