Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tying your own narration to a diary entry
Slith Offline

Threads: 4
Tying your own narration to a diary entry

Exactly how is this done? I see the different "Note" entities have a tickable
box for narration, but that's it. How do i link the note/diary to a sound file?

Update:
Figured it out! For those who want to know how:

1. In your extra_english.lang file put [voice (nameofyourvoicefile.ogg)] behind <Entry Name="Note_nameofyournote_Text"> (remember to put your voice file into redist/lang/eng/voices/diaries though other folders under "voices" might also work)
2. In the level editor, select your note and tick the box under the entities tab labeled "UseNarration"

Voila!
09-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Tying your own narration to a diary entry

I saw in the language file, I think it works like this:

[voice Diary_CH01L03_Daniel0102_01.ogg][br]17 Mayıs 1839[br][br]Yazarken ellerim titriyor.

[voice Diary_XXX_Name_Number.ogg]

09-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Website Find
Slith Offline

Hm... seems right, but doesn't work :S My language file looks something like this:
Spoiler below!

<LANGUAGE>
<RESOURCES>
</RESOURCES>
<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
<Entry Name="Description">This is an example story.[br][br]Enjoy!</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
<Entry Name="Note_Journal1_Name">Random Title</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_Journal1_Text">[voice Diary_CH01L01_MyNote_01.ogg][br]Random rabbeling</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

I've placed the audio file (in .ogg format of course) in the same folder as the diary entries from the game (redist/lang/eng/voices/diaries). What am i missing?

UPDATE:
Hot dang, forget what i said! I forgot to tick the "Use Narration" button on the note! Thanks alot Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2010, 09:28 PM by Slith.)
09-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Find
Neurological Offline

Threads: 11

Not sure as I didn't try yet, but the prefix on the lang file shouldn't be Note_ but Diary_

Neurological - Music Entertainment
http://www.neuro-lab.net
09-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Find
Slith Offline

I tried changing the note prefix, but it made all text and narration disappear. Journal prefix might work, I'll try it when i get back home. It would be nice if I could add diaryentries to the diary and notes to notes. Gonna make my first mod that much more epic Wink Big Grin
09-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Find
Slith Offline

Sorry about the double post, but i can't figure out how to make notes fall into the diary category in the journal. Any ideas? Undecided Developers? Angel
09-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Find
Equil Offline

Threads: 8

Change the category type to "Diary" instead of "Journal"? Though I assume you've tried that.
09-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Find
Slith Offline

(09-30-2010, 04:27 PM)Equil Wrote: Change the category type to "Diary" instead of "Journal"? Though I assume you've tried that.

I hadn't actually, but it made the note just disappear when i picked it up Sad

I don't get it :S What am i doing different from the english language file where you e.g. see
Spoiler below!

<Entry Name="Diary_CH01L03_Daniel_Name1">Daniel's Diary - Algeria (1/3)</Entry>
<Entry Name="Diary_CH01L03_Daniel_Text1">[voice Diary_CH01L03_Daniel0101_01.ogg][br]16th of May 1839[br][br]The unflinching African sun has continued to plague our expedition, making it impossible to dig until dusk. How Professor Herbert managed to find the location in these vast plains of nothingness remains a mystery to me. When I asked him about the tomb again, he told me about the legend of Tin Hinan, "the mother of us all". An interesting story in its own right, but I can't help feeling there's more.[br][voice Diary_CH01L03_Daniel0101_02.ogg][br]Later that evening, we uncovered a passage beneath the dunes leading to a sand-covered stone structure. The professor was confident it was the tomb we sought and ordered the others to clear the way-- late into the dark cold night.[br][voice Diary_CH01L03_Daniel0101_03.ogg][br]Tomorrow, I shall lead the men into the ancient structure, hoping to reach the burial chamber. No matter what the professor is keeping from me, the dig should yield something interesting to take back to London and the British Museum.</Entry>

Compared to:
Spoiler below!

<Entry Name="Diary_CH01L01Jan01_Name">My Diary - blah blah blah</Entry>
<Entry Name="Diary_CH01L01random_Text">[voice Diary_CH01L01_randomvoicefile_01.ogg][br] Some random date[br][br] Blah blah blah.</Entry>

Both are under the category "journal" :S
10-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Find
Equil Offline

Threads: 8

I just took a look at the "Archives" map, and the entity they used is a "diary_paper01" located under "Items". Then in the Entity properties, they have "PickDiary" as the callback and their text name under "DiaryText". I'm guessing these entities automatically use narration?
10-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Find
Vradcly Offline

Threads: 6

Has anyone solved this problem?
Am currently working to get some diary's working with my own voice acting....Have tried all of the above and have tried to use the default name of everything originally in the game only that I changed the file to my voice file...did not work, please let me know if you get it to work Smile. Ill let you guys know when I figure it out....
I think I have it figured out, but it is fragile, even the smallest adjustment could make it not work again^^.

1. I got it to work when I in the english.lang file for amnesia (not the custom story .lang file) added a copy of a diary piece of code and changed the CH(apter) number to something that was not originally in the game (I used 45+), like this (around line 140 in the english.lang file): <Entry Name="Diary_CH01L45_Daniel_Name1">HEADLINE</Entry>
<Entry Name="Diary_CH01L45_Daniel_Text1">[voice Diary_CH01L45_Daniel0101_01.ogg][br]Page1 text[br][voice Diary_CH01L45_Daniel0101_02.ogg][br]page2 text</Entry>

It seems [br] is needed at the places as above or else the text did not show (no idea why yet, and maybe its just for me?).

2. I named my voice files Diary_CH01L45_Daniel0101_01.ogg and Diary_CH01L45_Daniel0101_02.ogg and placed them in lang\eng\voices\diaries

3. As for the entity I used diary_paper01 and let it all be as default, and put CH01L45_Daniel in the DiaryText field.

It can probably be done more beautifully (and without having to change the games original files), but there is at least something that works Smile.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2011, 02:32 PM by Vradcly.)
02-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Find