Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What activates grunt in chancel? [SOLVED]
mansarde Offline

Threads: 3
What activates grunt in chancel? [SOLVED]

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how "servant_grunt_4" is being triggered in "22_torture_chancel.map"
As soon as you're up the steps and stand before the swing door which leads to the chancel, "servant_grunt_4" is triggered.
But no matter what I remove, he still triggers! I removed every area leading up to this door, I even removed every area behind the door, in case something is "look at" activated.
And nothing in the script of that level gives me any hints as to what activates him. Especially when I removed everything the player would walk through on the steps in front of the door.
I'm completely baffled, nothing works, "servant_grunt_4" is always triggered. Huh
I know I could just remove or deactivate him, but I want to know HOW exactly he is activated.
I just can't figure it out, it drives me crazy!
Can anybody tell me how he's being activated? Please? Angel
09-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Find
HakePT Offline

Threads: 1
RE: What activates grunt in chancel?

You cannot stop Servant_Grunt_4 from activating.
Servant_Grunt_4 killed many players.
Servant_Grunt_4 legend.
Servant_Grunt_4 activates when he pleases.

LOL
Well maybe he isn't area related. Try reading the script, should be a easy to find since you just to see what command triggers the function that activates Servant_Grunt_4.
Probably a look at or interact with object (like a door).
Anyway make sure to have a backup before you mess with the original maps.

Pain Servant_Grunt_4activateswhenhepleases(Player, notdead, Servant_Grunt_4, wantsactive)

(in case you don't understand the above statement is a joke to look like a function that activates Servant_Grunt_4 and returns Pain)
09-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Find
locker Offline

Threads: 1

Well, he is active by default. He is active by the start of the level and is waiting behind the door. By loading the script of that map, the engine just give him path nodes.
If you look at it in the editor, you will see that he has the "Active" checkbox checked when selected. He is saved as "active" in the map file as well. Smile
09-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Find
mansarde Offline

Threads: 3

First of all, thanks for trying to help me and nudge me in the right direction.
I know that he is active though and that's why I didn't use the word active.
And I looked for every occurence of "servant_grunt_4" in the script and every related functions.
But as soon as you stand before the door leading to the chancel, there's a debug message which says "Enemy servant_grunt_4 enabled!" and then you can hear him moan, even though it's impossible for him to see you from where he is.

In the script for the level the only occurences of "servant_grunt_4" are inside an "AddEnemyPatrolNode" which just assigns patrol nodes to the grunt.
From the editor I know that the Callback Function of "servant_grunt_4" is "EntityCallGruntDisabled".
Looking in the script I can see that this function sets the local variable "NoGrunt" to 1 and prints the debug message "Enemy Disabled".
But the only other time "NoGrunt" is used in the script is when "servant_grunt_5" is being activated.

Then I searched for only "servant_grunt_" because I became suspicious and thought maybe it gets triggered somehow with a counter. And low and behold I found something like that. But removing that still didn't prevent the bugger from enabling!

I'm at the end of my rope here, I've searched through the whole script and I just can't see how this bugger becomes "enabled" everytime I come to stand behind the door.
Isn't there a scripting god out there who can give me the insight I seek? Or maybe one of the devs? Big Grin
Any help would be highly appreciated... or I'll surely lose sanity! Undecided

EDIT:
Omg, I just found out myself.
The answer is so simple, it just drains the sanity out of me...

It's the radius! The frickkin' RADIUS!
As soon as you reach the edge of his trigger-radius, the grunt will enable!
Seriously, with all the scripting etc. going around in my head I never thought about something so simple.^^
Therefore I declare this matter [SOLVED]
09-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Find