Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Water Lurkers to Work Properly...
einfrnirdyr Offline

Threads: 7
Getting Water Lurkers to Work Properly...

Awesome game! So I thought I would try my hand at some map making...

Anyway, so far most things are coming along fine and I am getting to the point where I have to start asking questions. Like this: How do I get WaterLurkers to function properly? I have the entity in the map and when I go anywhere near it, it attacks me - which is OK for now. Later I will want to have it inactive until triggered - but just one step at a time for now...Smile

I also have placed some small islands in the map and when I get out of the water to avoid the WaterLurker, the rotten bugger follows me, comes ashore and smacks me about the head.

How do I set it up so the WaterLurker doesn't follow me onto areas raised above the water level..?

Thank you. Big Grin
09-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Find
HakePT Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Getting Water Lurkers to Work Properly...

As far as I know you can set entities and enemies to non-active.
When you create them just check the box so they aren't active. This means they don't actually exist.

By checking the original maps by frictional games i found out that they use this to make maps change as player progresses or enemies appear when you do something. For example the black hall that changes when you have all the pieces to proceed.

These are all entities that aren't active until something happens.
Example: create an area (AreaX), the enemy (water_lurker_1) but not active and in the scrip say that when player collides with AreaX then water_lurker_1 becomes active.
This will make it so when the player goes into a certain area the water lurker spawns. Handy to make sure the player doesn't hear the enemy before you want to.

As to him not following you into land i'm not sure. You can try not setting a path for him there or just create a block area that prevents him from passing it. Still this is just me making theories on what would work.

PS: enemies can also be set as to ignore the player (you can dance in front of them and they still won't attack you), or to set them as hallucinations. Hallucination enemies act like normal enemies, chase you and so on but disappear when they get to a certain distance to the player.
Example: I'm planing on making a lvl where you go down a corridor open a door and a grunt appears just behind. You then run all the way down the path (no place to hide) till you reach a locked door. But the grunt is a hallucination so when he is just about to catch the player he will disappear. Still trying to find a way to make him drop a key when he disappears.
09-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Find
einfrnirdyr Offline

Hey, thanks for those tips. I'll have to learn scripting, sure...

Right now I want to understand how the WaterLurker entity works. How important is the water volume area to the entity? I mean, isn't the enemy supposed to ignore the Player once the Player exits the water..? That's not what I am experiencing. I get out of the water, climb onto dry land and the Lurker follows me up the stairs and bushwhacks me until I'm lying on my face.

Thanks again.
09-29-2010, 04:52 AM
Find
Equil Offline

Threads: 8

(09-28-2010, 04:35 PM)HakePT Wrote: PS: enemies can also be set as to ignore the player (you can dance in front of them and they still won't attack you), or to set them as hallucinations.

Okay, I know how to set them as hallucinations, but how do you set them to ignore the player? Is it a script function?
09-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Find
einfrnirdyr Offline

OK, I think I have this issue sorted out.

In the WaterLurker's properties, under the Entity Tab, you will find: PlayerDetectionHeight.

Set this Value to any number at or above the height of your water level in relation to the starting height of the Lurker. For example if the water is 1.5 unit deep, make the PlayerDetectionHeight = 1.5

Then when you stand on any feature that is above that height, ol' Sploshy will ignore you.

Still testing to see if this is correct... Any verification would be appreciated... Big Grin

---

...ummm. Now I gotta learn how to add the Script Entity and write the script so he starts as inactive and then starts coming after you once you are halfway across his pond.

This scripting stuff does NOT come natural to me so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you...
09-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Find
HakePT Offline

Threads: 1

(09-29-2010, 05:25 AM)Equil Wrote: Okay, I know how to set them as hallucinations, but how do you set them to ignore the player? Is it a script function?

Nope its just above the place where you set them as hallucinations. Mouse over the box called disable triggers.
This is the one that disables triggers that would change the behavior of an enemy (example player making a noise).

As for the water lurker that seems to be the solution. Careful never to make the land go bellow that point or if you do (create some sort of cave bellow the water) make it so the enemy disappears when the player enters that area and spawn again when he leaves.
09-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Find
Vradcly Offline

Threads: 6

Do I have to do something special to enable to water lurker to eat meat?

I have this water area where you want to toss some meat in the water (just like in the game) to distract the lurker for a while. But for me the lurker totally ignores the meat.

Anyone have any idea why?

I have tried to lower the water level a bit so the meat is closer to the surface after a good toss, but that did not help. Don't really have any other ideas on how to do this...
01-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Find