Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Severe Windows Crash Error
Remat3 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago Sad  Severe Windows Crash Error

I just downloaded Amnesia on Steam and I am having a nightmare of a time trying to get it to run correctly--The first time I tried to play it, it kicked me to a blue screen and crashed Windows and ever since then every time I've tried to run it for more than about five minutes, it locks up my system (can't even jump to ctrl+alt+del task manager; I end up having to do a hard reset), causes this weird blue pattern of pixels to superimpose itself on the screen and makes the audio freeze up as well, repeating the same segment over and over again. Additionally, sometimes when it crashes, it completely cuts off the data feed to my monitor, causing my monitor to go into sleep mode--this is why I was originally thinking it was a driver error, but now (see below) I'm thinking it's something else...

Originally, I ran through the stickyed thread and tried the things on there. Here's what I've done so far:
--Uninstall and reinstall, checking with Steam to make sure the files weren't corrupted (they weren't) and that the data wasn't fragmented (it wasn't) and triple checking that any updates should be downloaded and applied (as far as I can tell, they have been).
--Progressively lowering visual quality and aspect ratio, including cutting out processor-heavy visual effects to no avail.
--Varying between windowed and full screen mode (no notable difference, though the load times in windowed mode also revealed periods the program stops responding to Windows).
--Closing all background software in case of a conflict of some sort. (No dice.)
--Additionally, I always run as Administrator and, as far as I am aware, I've already given Steam (and its subsidiary software) normal read/write privileges (other programs on Steam haven't had any problems).

So far I've noticed no real pattern to the glitches. The visual error makes me think it has something to do with my graphics card--drivers maybe? I do try to keep them updated, but I don't know that that's the cause or not... I might try and install new drivers next--if this fixes it, I'll update this post with the results so that anyone with similar problems in the future will know if it worked or not.

Here are the system specs I'm working with. I'd really love to play this game--I'm a big horror genre fan--but nothing takes you out of the experience quite like a system-crashing and utterly frustrating game glitch; If anyone can help, I'll be very much obliged. (Also, if there's anything else you guys want/need to know about my system or how I'm running things that isn't already on here, let me know and I'll add it to this top post):

Windows Vista 64x
Dual 2.5 GHz Intel processors
8 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce 9800 GT
Over 200 GB free hard drive space (post-installation)

UPDATE 1: Installed new drivers and restarted--also changed the graphics to native resolution for my monitor. Made it all the way down and back up a flight of stairs before it crashed again. Sad
UPDATE 2: Just uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers a second time--crashed again in the same place.
UPDATE 3: I've changed the main_settings.cfg file to UpdateLogActive="true" and induced another crash, but the resultant log files are blank.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2010, 08:11 AM by Remat3.)
09-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: Severe Windows Crash Error

Since you does not seem to have updated drivers, that is what I think you should do. Also make sure to follow the guide in A.1:
http://frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3754.html

Note that your problem might be corrupt drivers or bad setup. This is why the uninstall process is so important.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2010, 09:32 AM by Thomas.)
09-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Find
Remat3 Offline

Actually that's what I did (See UPDATE 1)--and I've already uninstalled and reinstalled the program; I guess I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver a second time and see if that does the trick, though, just to give it the benefit of the doubt.

(09-30-2010, 09:31 AM)Thomas Wrote: Since you does not seem to have updated drivers, that is what I think you should do. Also make sure to follow the guide in A.1:
http://frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3754.html

Note that your problem might be corrupt drivers or bad setup. This is why the uninstall process is so important.

UPDATE 2: Just uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers a second time--crashed again in the same place. At least I can take comfort in knowing my drivers are updated... Tongue
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2010, 08:20 PM by Remat3.)
09-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Find
Twin Offline

another 9800gt user experiencing major problems when running the game.

welcome to the club!
09-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Find
Remat3 Offline

I may be frustrated still, but at least I can take some small comfort in knowing that everyone else is as miserable as I am. Tongue

I take it there haven't been any successful workarounds for the 9800 gt yet?
10-01-2010, 06:36 AM
Find
Plissken Offline

I have an 8600 GT and I'm having the exact same problems. I always crash in the room where he picks up the note/oil and it is like a storage room full of beakers.

Keeps crashing...
10-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Remat3:
Have you tried running the game as administrator?

If that does not work, open main_settings in "My Documents/Amnesia/Main" and change
UpdateLogActive="false"
to
UpdateLogActive="true"

Run the game again, and after crash, attach hpl.log and hpl_update.log
(Note: Attach the files. Do not copy n pase the contents).
10-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Find
Plissken Offline

Remat3, try the Omega drivers for Nvidia. I installed them and I got past that area. However, I don't know if it's specifically because of the Omega drivers. I tried to rush through that part as fast as possible. But so far, the game has been running smoothly!

Very tense....I already had my first dream about the game. I was hiding in a cabinet from these child-monsters that were chasing me.
10-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Find
Remat3 Offline

(10-01-2010, 09:01 AM)Thomas Wrote: Remat3:
Have you tried running the game as administrator?

If that does not work, open main_settings in "My Documents/Amnesia/Main" and change
UpdateLogActive="false"
to
UpdateLogActive="true"

Run the game again, and after crash, attach hpl.log and hpl_update.log
(Note: Attach the files. Do not copy n pase the contents).

I went ahead and double checked--I'm running everything as Administrator--and I changed the log updates: The relevant files should be attached now. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Smile
10-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Remat3: Afraid you have not changed correctly or forgot to run the game after changing. The hpl_update log is blank.
10-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Find