Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom materials not working
Alienchild Offline

Threads: 8
Custom materials not working

Every material I make (using either .dds or .jpg) shows up in the LevelEditor with extreme brightness, and in-game they are totally black. Anyone else experienced this?
10-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Find
Entih Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Custom materials not working

I am getting a similar but different issue. In a test using 4 formats: DDS, JPG, TGA, and PNG, only the TGA worked straight off. All four appeared in the editors, but in game a plane on which they were applied was fully transparent, except for the TGA image, and crashed the game when looked at in inspection mode (likely due to the texture reading feature not finding anything). I tried a few different DDS formats, but none worked before Photoshop started acting all bizarre and I gave up (Its likely one of the ARGB formats, but Photoshop crashed on exporting half of them).

If you're having trouble with materials yet, try TGA next. The filesize will likely be larger, but if it actually shows up properly in-game, then its worth it.
10-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Find
Neurological Offline

Threads: 11

(10-03-2010, 11:24 AM)Alienchild Wrote: Every material I make (using either .dds or .jpg) shows up in the LevelEditor with extreme brightness, and in-game they are totally black. Anyone else experienced this?

Which settings do you use to export the dds? I use DXT1 with no alpha, and add some mipmaps.

TGAs works good too, depending on what you need them for, a 24bit tga with RGB colors works good.

Neurological - Music Entertainment
http://www.neuro-lab.net
10-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Find
Evil Ash Offline

Threads: 0

In the MaterialEditor, change the BLEND method to Alpha.
It defaults to Add.

Unless it is on Alpha, then you may have your alpha channel inverted.

Also ensure no animations have been specified.

This should resolve the ingame issue. I have some custom textures that show fullbright as well in the editor, but everything is peachy in game.

You can also manually open the .mat files of other textures and compare to your generated .mat (open using notepad/wordpad).

Find settings that differ and try copying them from the working material.

[Image: revelationsig.png]
10-04-2010, 04:59 AM
Find