Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chain Mesh..?
einfrnirdyr Offline

Threads: 7
Chain Mesh..?

I'm looking for a chain mesh amongst the game's assets. Not a catenery or looped chain, just a straight dangling, plumbed chain that I can hang from a ceiling and drop from ceilings or use to suspend beams or bridges.

I have found suspended prisoners, manacles and some other chained items, but I can't find a straight chain.

Is there one in the game's assets? If so, where can I find it..?

Thank you.
10-04-2010, 03:10 AM
Find
Entih Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Chain Mesh..?

Chain... I think there may actually be a chain version of the rope entity, which would be what you want, but I am not certain.

Take a look at ropes and their settings and materials. If you're not sure on them, you can look at the distillery map by the start of the game, with the pulley.
10-04-2010, 03:57 AM
Find
locker Offline

Threads: 1

If he is looking for a physics simulated chain, then the pulley in distillery won't help him. There a certain amount of physics chains hanging from the ceiling in some rooms, but they are short. Long chains would be too unstable I guess.
10-04-2010, 04:58 AM
Find
Entih Offline

Threads: 4

Actually, remembering when I looked at the rope system, I believe the rope points spoke of the force exerted on each attached body, so it is possible yet that they are physically simulated as a form of length constraint. This would take looking into though.

I might experiment around later.
10-04-2010, 05:01 AM
Find
einfrnirdyr Offline

Threads: 7

Hey, thanks Guys. Greatly appreciated.

I will also look into this myself. Big Grin

Also, where can I find the rope entity?

I'm not too worried about having physics properties of the chain (rope) applied to the entity. I'm looking at suspending features like bridges and architectural features, so the chain will be rigid and under tension. No motion.
10-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

There is a special area type used to make stuff like ropes and chains. This is what is used on the hatch in Refinery and so on. Just add a Rope area and then add the properties for it (are description for each). Or just check the refinery level for more info.
10-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Find