Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.13 Average
Echoes of a Sunless City - Work in Progress
einfrnirdyr Offline

Threads: 7
Echoes of a Sunless City - Work in Progress

-----------------------------------------

Download: Currently Unavailable.

Details: 4, maybe 5 fully featured Campaign maps for 'Amnesia - The Dark Descent'.

I commenced working on this campaign in late September. I started developing the second map first as it is the easiest in terms of complexity and to use it as an opportunity to learn the level editor. I still have a lot to learn - especially scripting - which I haven't even looked at yet. (Well, I have, but it just hurts my head...)

Currently on hold due to death in family.

Progress Completed:
Map no.1 - 50% = Laying essential geometry, Props added. Needs a SkyBox!!!!11!!1!!!!
Map no.2 - 99% = Geometry (All significant geometry is in place. Just needs tweaking), 0% = Scripting.
Map no.3 - 0%
Map no.4 - 0%
Map no.5 - 0%

Story: Story outline and details have been finalised but are not yet ready for announcing to the Public. I believe what I have in mind is 100% possible within the constraints of HPL engine limitations.

Estimated Completion: I guess sometime in 2011.

I'm still a noob at mapping for this game but I am surprised at how easy the editor is to get to grips with. I should have all the maps built in about 2 months (or so). Scripting will be a challenge for me. Never was any good at that stuff.

Screenshots:
This is the first set of images. There are more littered about the thread below.
[Image: SunlessCity_03.jpg]
Level 2: Crap strewn around a room. Reminds me of my bedroom when I was a teenager.

[Image: SunlessCity_02.jpg]
Level 2: Shelving with junk on it. More junk on the floor.

[Image: SunlessCity_04.jpg]
Level 2: Yep. That's it. The entrance to the 'Sunless City'.

Download: Currently Unavailable.
10-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Find
einfrnirdyr Offline

RE: Echoes of a Sunless City - Work in Progress

I've just added my first batch of screenshots (see above) to this thread.

These are from the second level in the campaign. Geometry is all in place and I am happy with it. I stilll need to work on lighting and adding some props.

My biggest stumbling block at the moment is scripting. I am going to have to learn how to do this and it doesn't come intuitively to me. Gah! ...and I was doing so well, too, to get this map built in a week. Big Grin
10-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Find
Datashocker Offline

Threads: 0

Looking good. Hope you figure out that fandangled scripting stuff.

The girlish scream that Daniel puts forth as he sees a disturbing event is enough to make my day.
10-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

Let me know if you need any help with scripting. I like the title.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
10-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Find
einfrnirdyr Offline

Thank you. Yeah, I will definitely be seeking assistance with scripting. At least some useful pointers to help getting me started with its basic functions. Once I understand those, I will be right.

Right now, however, it makes as much sense to me as algebra does to a 2 year old.

More updates as I progress...
10-06-2010, 06:54 AM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

Your best bet for learning scripting from scratch is opening the .hps files of the main story and reading. Most of them have comments on what each function does.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
10-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Find
einfrnirdyr Offline

Thanks. I will take your advice and peruse their contents.

Gah!!! Hoping to repeat the quick success I had with map no.2 was not so fruitful. My first attempt at building map no.1 has failed... Scrap it. Start afresh.

A few hours lost is no big deal. Can't be afraid to discard work that doesn't fit the Project. After all, I did remove a substantial area towards the end of building map no.2 and totally rebuild that section.

At least I chose wisely which map to learn using the editor - the easiest one was tackled first. These things don't have to be assembled in the way the Player will experience them - they just have to feel that way.
10-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Find
Crabski Offline

Threads: 2

Looks great so far. Keep it up! I'd love to see a bunch of these projects completed some day.
10-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Find
mastersmith98 Offline

Threads: 3

It's crazy how much my imagination runs with your title. You better have a kickass story to back up your campaign : )

And just a suggestion, you might want to try and use some ambient lights to brighten your levels just a bit. It actually adds to the atmosphere when you control the temperature of "darkness" instead of it just being pitch black.

Join the Amnesia Modders group on Moddb!
10-07-2010, 02:45 AM
Find
einfrnirdyr Offline

Lighting..? sure. I am well aware of its use. Ambient lighting is an important mood tool. Just like the use of sound - which so many people under appreciate. Right now these WiP screenies are still indicative of work still in development. Still got a loooong way to go.

After all, really good campaigns take more than just an evening's effort. I don't anticipate having this thing finished until the end of the year. ...at the very least.

...and I like to finish the Projects I start. Smile
10-07-2010, 03:55 AM
Find