Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Noob needs help
Skoth Offline

Threads: 3
Noob needs help

Hey all,

I'm new to the Editor Tools (though I do have some prior experience in level design) and I'm trying to set everything up. I've followed the tutorials offered for making a map and all of that seemed to go smoothly. Yet, when I tried following the tutorial on setting up a custom story it didn't show up in the game. Now, I think I may already know the problem: I used standard Notepad on Windows to create the .cfg custom_story_settings file--of which, I'm not sure if I need a fancy software to make this file type (if so, what application do I need?). I placed the map that I created in the story root (no subfolders are necessary, right?). I noticed that there is also the tutorial for setting up the Development Environment, which I have not done. Is this required in order to make a custom story/map?

Lastly, I'm certain from my previous experience with level design that it would be required to compile the map prior to physically running it. How do I compile it? Is it hidden somewhere on the Level Editor?

Sorry for the multitude of questions, but I really am quite new to this! In any case, thanks for your help!
10-07-2010, 04:48 AM
Find
Chilton Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Noob needs help

No offence, but wrong wrong wrong Smile
You dont need to compile, you use notepad for everything, subfolders are needed for maps only, and you do not need a development environment (Im using happy faces to show im not ranting at you Smile)

Just list the names of all the files youve made, and i can tell you what you dont have, or if you have everything.

Also, i assume youve placed a spawn point in the level, and that the levels directory is noted in the cfg file?
10-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Find
Skoth Offline

No worries, not offended. Besides, I have no idea what I'm doing!

Perhaps I should say, I own Amnesia through Steam, so the files are listed in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent (which is where I extracted all of the editor tools as my redist folder). I created a basic map with two rooms with the walls, ceiling, and floor and a hallway between the two rooms. I placed some furniture, lights, and a player start. And that's all, I believe that's all that's necessary for a map, correct? Anyways, upon completing the map I saved it to the C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent\maps folder and I then copied and pasted the .map file to the custom story folder under the custom story's folder C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent\custom_stories\MyCustomStory. After doing this, I created the .cfg file using Notepad and it reads like this:
<Main
Name="My Custom Story"
Author="Skoth"
ImgFile=""

StartMap="first.map"
StartPos=""
/>

So at this point all I have is a .cfg file and a .map file within C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent\custom_stories\MyCustomStory. Is my MyCustomStory subfolder unnecessary? The custom story doesn't even appear in the Custom Stories menu in game.

Thanks again for all your help!
10-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Find
Chilton Offline

Theres the problems, try this:

<Main
Name="My Custom Story"
Author="Skoth"

StartMap="first.map"
StartPos="PlayerStartArea_1"
/>

And do you have an Extra_English.lang? Even if theres nothing in it, its needed to run.
If you dont have one, make it in the same area as the cfg, and just put in

<LANGUAGE>
<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
<Entry Name="Description">Your Level Description Here</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

The story wont appear on the list unless you have a fully functional cfg, and the Language file.
Also, you use the language file to write diary/journal entries, notes, item names and descriptions, hints, and othersuch things

EDIT: Also, maps need to be in their own subfolder, simply called "maps" and have a .hps to make them run.
If you dont have a HPS, just make one in notepad, name it the same as the map, only instead of .map, use .hps.

Then put

void OnStart()
{
}

void OnEnter()
{
}

void OnLeave()
{
}

And that makes the map initialise

Hope this helps!
PS: Whenever i post things, it doesnt hurt to check back 5 minutes after to see if ive edited in some essential information i thought of after Smile
10-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Find
Skoth Offline

Wow, talk about quick response! Thanks!

Well I didn't initially have the .lang file. However, after placing it in their, and removing the .txt extension that windows so wanted to tag on the file, the Custom Story still didn't show up in the game. I'm watching MulleDK19's Video Tutorials for setting up a custom story to see if there's anything extra I'm missing. I saved the custom_story_settings.cfg the way you specified as well, but it doesn't seem to be working. There's probably something else I'm missing. Unfortunately, I have to leave for work now (argh!) so I'll have to come back to this tomorrow.

Nevertheless, I'm grateful for your help. I'm sure I'm inches away from getting it! Thanks, man.
Okay! I decided to be a wee bit late for work & school and it's working! Thanks so much for your help! My maps and custom stories shall now be officially dedicated to you from now on!
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2010, 03:52 PM by Skoth.)
10-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Find
Chilton Offline

Anytime - Theres ALOT to memorise in this, but its easy once you know how its done

We all start out having no clue what we're doing
(http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4779.html for example)
But you get better with time

Best of luck
10-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Find