Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 2.64 Average
Memoirs of a Dead man (Demo release)
Tyrant T100 Offline

Threads: 2
Information  Memoirs of a Dead man (Demo release)

Hello first time poster, although keen player of Both the Penumbra games and Amnesia. I and a small team are working on a mod for Amnesia called Memoirs of a Dead man.

The story takes place in an old Victorian mansion, Claude Phillips receives a letter explaining the death of his ill uncle Arthur, who was abandoned by his servants and fell down the staircase to his demise. Claude learns of his inheritance of his uncles manor house.

The game begins with the player awakening each night to sinister sounds coming from areas of the mansion, the player must investigate the sounds and solve the mystery.

The mod will have a day/night cycle, the player can explore the mansion in the day attempting to solve the mystery however at night he is plagued by the sinister noises. The mod will be purely psychological and contain no emphasis on combat, nothing can physically harm the player however badly damaged they may become mentally.

The mod team consists of me and several friends. I'm mapping and composing the musical score, one person is writing the script and doing visual work (Cutscenes if Amnesia supports them), a voice actor who voices Claude and a few more volunteers who are helping with the overall mod.

Demo out now:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2ujy92elkh...20Demo.zip

WIP videos
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=...D5B9ED085D

We hope you will enjoy the mod when it's released and I will keep you informed with this thread whenever we make progress.
Please feel free to ask any questions.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2011, 09:27 PM by Tyrant T100.)
10-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Memoirs of a Dead man (Work in Progress)

Looks nice, good luck!
10-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

(10-07-2010, 05:22 PM)Tyrant T100 Wrote: The mod will be purely psychological and will contain NO enemies, nothing can physically harm the player however badly damaged they may become mentally.

Sounds great! Very difficult to pull off well, but I hope for the best Smile

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
10-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Find
Tyrant T100 Offline

Thanks to both replies.
(10-07-2010, 06:08 PM)Frontcannon Wrote:
(10-07-2010, 05:22 PM)Tyrant T100 Wrote: The mod will be purely psychological and will contain NO enemies, nothing can physically harm the player however badly damaged they may become mentally.

Sounds great! Very difficult to pull off well, but I hope for the best Smile

Well we wanted to create the feeling that even though there are no enemies the player would feel vulnerable. To do this were trying to build suspense with what is making the sounds during the night, why objects are moving without player interaction.

It's difficult to explain some of it without spoilers but basically we want the player to feel threatened, we don't want to kill them as it's a supernatural horror, but we do want them to feel like they could be killed at any point. There may be a few jump scares but we mostly want to create scares through suspense and ambience.
10-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

(10-07-2010, 06:21 PM)Tyrant T100 Wrote: Well we wanted to create the feeling that even though there are no enemies the player would feel vulnerable.

It's difficult to explain some of it without spoilers but basically we want the player to feel threatened, we don't want to kill them as it's a supernatural horror, but we do want them to feel like they could be killed at any point.

Yes, that's GOOD horror. But don't ever mention that there are no monsters, horror is scary because of the stuff the player doesn't know Big Grin

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
10-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Find
Tyrant T100 Offline

(10-07-2010, 06:25 PM)Frontcannon Wrote:
(10-07-2010, 06:21 PM)Tyrant T100 Wrote: Well we wanted to create the feeling that even though there are no enemies the player would feel vulnerable.

It's difficult to explain some of it without spoilers but basically we want the player to feel threatened, we don't want to kill them as it's a supernatural horror, but we do want them to feel like they could be killed at any point.

Yes, that's GOOD horror. But don't ever mention that there are no monsters, horror is scary because of the stuff the player doesn't know Big Grin

Don't worry I won't spoil any more, my lips are sealed about what you WILL encounter.
10-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Find
dbfuru Offline

Threads: 1

Aww, you totally shouldn't have spoiled that there are no enemies! Still, it sounds good, and I am looking forward to it.
10-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Find
fantino Offline

It sounds like Scratches. Smile
10-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Find
Bulbatron Offline

Threads: 7

(10-07-2010, 11:02 PM)fantino Wrote: It sounds like Scratches. Smile

I was going to say that, but it's not a criticism. I love the idea of a purely supernatural mystery type thing and I love the idea of the day and night cycle.

Looking forwards to this one.

Wow - what a mansion!
10-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Find
Crabski Offline

I advise you not to advertise the fact that there are no enemies and the player cannot die, as it will make players a lot less frightened. Cool idea though. This could be really awesome if you include a lot of lightning and ambient noises.

I'm not going to say anything else; I think I should keep my ideas to myself and let this pan out by itself. Big Grin
10-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Find