Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Norwegian Woods (WIP)
Slith Offline

Threads: 4
Norwegian Woods (WIP)

I'm just gonna put this here Wink

UPDATED 10th October! (Quick update as I removed performance heavy shadow casters)
RAR file here
(extract and merge all folders (voice files included!))

Remember: work in progress Wink

First level walkthrough here.

A few notes:
- There is no real "purpose" yet. It is however possible to progress a little (obtaining a key halfway in the level which opens a door behind which you'll find a level door). This doesn't mean there aren't any events though Smile
- Need to add a lot more detail, items and "fun" scripted events to several rooms and corridors.
- I left the whole place pretty much lit as people in the story left the place in a rush. Might do something about it down the road.
- Most drawers and cabinets are completely empty.
- Decided to go with english narrations for now. Will make a version with norwegian narrations later to get response.

Basic overview of the map (use to pinpoint problem locations!):
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/3842/65942233.jpg
(Please copy link into your browser. An url link doesn't seem to work and when trying to add it as an image i get an image count error, even though it's only one -_-)

I'll come around to add screenshots later Wink
10-08-2010, 12:37 AM
Find
Gansher Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Norwegian Woods (WIP)

I'll play it and leave some feedback soon Smile
10-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here, but is there no particular mission designed yet? I circled the entire place probably three times and looked at everything, but nothing really happened.

Anyway, the actual quality of the level is very nice. It's absolutely gorgeous and some parts look even better than Amnesia itself. It's unfortunate that the dining room lags like hell for me whenever I interact with the objects in there. I don't think there's anything you can do about that. I suggest that you don't have sanity loss effects, because it's way too bright to go insane in there.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
10-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Website Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

Half of the map is incredibly laggy, and I have a i7 3.07 ghz, 8 GB RAM, and an ATI HD Radeon 5830.

I think you have way too many shadowcasters.

When you fix it I will try to play it again and comment.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
10-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Find
Slith Offline

Lee: No, you're not. I haven't gotten around to quest's etc yet. The only "progress" you can achieve this far is getting down to the flooded area, find the key and unlock the door by the dining room.
But didn't any scripted events or such occur? More detailed:
Spoiler below!
Monster appear when walking around in kitchen? Skull flying off desk? Grunt appearing to break the door blocking you down in the flooded level where you find the key? (if at least the two last ones seem unknown: check under the bed in one of the cells)
And thank you so much for the kind words§ I guess the level design itself is the only arena i have any experience with from before.

Lee & DamnNoHtml: I pretty much knew that it would be laggy as hell, though having a high end system it's hard to destinguish when too much is too much (the lag i feel is quite passable). I just wanted to add lot's of detail to the dining room xD

DamnNoHtml: sorry about the newbie question, but what do you mean by shadowcasters? To many torches? Or too many objects in front of lights in half of the map?
10-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

A shadow casting light is simply a spotlight in which you set "Casts shadows" to true. Using more than a couple causes intense FPS lag.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
10-09-2010, 02:14 AM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

I'm not sure how much feedback you want at this point so I'll just write down what I see as I play it.

* The first 5-10 seconds of the map runs at about 2 fps for me, probably because the game is dropping all those loose physic objects you've placed above the ground. After that it's up to 60fps again.
* Flickering textures here and there (easiest fix: place one of the static objects +0.0001 in one direction), and a few walls with gaps out into the void.
* All those mattresses you use in the prison beds seem really buggy. I grabbed one and it proceeded to fly through the room and spaz everything else out, then crashing the game. Set them to static physics, perhaps?
* The dining room got very slow when I was moving stuff around. Holding one chair and using it to push ~10 others made my fps drop from 60 to 10. Maybe try making the tables and other items static.

That's it. Good map so far, can't wait to try the next version Smile
10-12-2010, 04:21 AM
Find
Slith Offline

Thank you very much nofsky!

Point by point:

- I know the first 10 seconds are slow, thats why I chose a fade-in as a temporary fix. I'll do a real perforance job when the map is finished to make sure everything has ground contact and possibly make more things static.
- I'm constantly trying to eliminate flickering textures and gaps between walls (i bet there are several laps hanging in thin air aswell). Would you mind explaining a bit more in detail about placing one of the static objects (like, what kind? :S) +0.0001 in one direction? My apologies for not getting that.
- I know, I don't recall them being so buggy in the main game. I made the one in the first room static (the first thing a friend of mine did when testing the map for the first time was moving it and made made his game crash) and haven't gotten around to doing it with the others. Will get on it right away Wink
- I know. I thought about making the tables among other things static but while testing the map I tried placing an enemy in the office and thought it would be fun if he was activated and you had the possibility of putting tables in front of the door Tongue I've also considered removing the pigs as such an amount of ragdolls in a room might be a reason for the performance hit. I'll have a go with static tables and pigs and see if it improves.

Thank you for such constructive feedback and the kind words!
And the points you touched on are the relevant stuff! Story and objectives in the mod will be in question in a later release Wink
10-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Find