Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Scared of using the internet
icyplanet Offline

Threads: 2
Scared of using the internet

Lately, I've actually been a bit worried every time I log into my email or Facebook, for fear that some sort of virus will be downloaded, or I'm going to get hacked... Am I being too irrational? I used to use a PC and seemed to get all sorts of nasty things constantly, but it's been okay so far now that I switched to Mac.

Are the hackers winning this war?
08-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Scared of using the internet

Get an antivirus software? Or get something like MalwareBytes so that if you did get a virus, that'll clean it out.

You'll also find that there are viruses on Macs, but they are much more uncommon compared to ones which run on a Windows PC. Just learn how to spot phishing sites and don't go somewhere you shouldn't be.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
08-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Find
icyplanet Offline

Threads: 2

MalwareBytes... interesting! Will have to give it a look, thanks. I feel like crooks are getting very intelligent these days though, they are constantly thinking of new ways to steal... so no one else has been overly-careful when it comes to the web lately?
08-11-2016, 04:00 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(08-11-2016, 01:09 PM)icyplanet Wrote: Am I being too irrational?

Not necessarily. It shows that you understand that there are some risks involved when dealing with the web. Just be very careful around suspicious links or attachments and you'd most likely do just fine. As a rule of thumb, if you're ever unsure then don't open.

(08-11-2016, 01:09 PM)icyplanet Wrote: I used to use a PC and seemed to get all sorts of nasty things constantly, but it's been okay so far now that I switched to Mac.

Don't get too comfy with the idea since no OS is safe from malware and viruses. As Romulator said, just get yourself a protection and do scans regularly. Doing comparisons will help you decide which software you'd like the best.

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2016, 05:16 AM by Yuhaney.)
08-11-2016, 07:48 PM
Website Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Actually, a common misconception is that there are freefloating viruses for Macs, which is actually false from what I've gathered from a few different sources (though that was a few years ago). Now, that doesn't mean they don't exist, but the characteristics of a "virus" is one that duplicates and infects other files, something no known malware for Mac currently does, possibly because the way Mac sandboxes apps. If one exists, it's in private use somewhere. Basically, it hasn't been publicly uploaded anywhere where you might stumble upon it.

But malware for Macs definitely exists, no need to question that.

Though from my experience, it's not much of a worry. I remember I used to use my Mac for 1 year without any antivirus software, and when I finally decided to get one, it found nothing and everything acted the same for the next year when I DID use the antivirus. Perhaps I didn't download enough shady software, eh?

But better safe than sorry though. It's good to be aware of the dangers of the online world, like IIPEE said. You should be fine as long as you have something for Windows though, even just MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is good enough.

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2016, 09:51 PM by Mudbill.)
08-11-2016, 09:49 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

I never had any anti-viruses on my computers. I guess I'm just lucky not to be affected by viruses that much. If I notice my computer starting to malfunction, I just run a Combofix scan through it, and it usually fixes shit.
08-12-2016, 05:01 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Just... don't use things like McAfee or Norton. Though they work fairly well (despite their previous reputations), they still slow your computer down tremendously in my experience. Though if I were to recommend something, I am not all that sure. I haven't personally tried all that many different ones.

I know Avast works well, even the free version, though it was kinda "ad"-y for a while (not so much anymore it seems).
Trend Micro seems old, but functions well, but this is a business solution.
Hitman Pro I've seen and heard very good things about, dunno about its price and availability.
MSE is simple but definitely good enough for casual use.
360TotalSecurity I've heard has good results, but perhaps a sketchy privacy background considering they are Chinese.
Malwarebytes is definitely a good shot, but free version is only on-demand, not active protection. But keep it around anyway!

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2016, 02:54 PM by Mudbill.)
08-13-2016, 02:53 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(08-13-2016, 02:53 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Just... don't use things like McAfee or Norton. Though they work fairly well (despite their previous reputations), they still slow your computer down tremendously in my experience. Though if I were to recommend something, I am not all that sure. I haven't personally tried all that many different ones.

I know Avast works well, even the free version, though it was kinda "ad"-y for a while (not so much anymore it seems).
Trend Micro seems old, but functions well, but this is a business solution.
Hitman Pro I've seen and heard very good things about, dunno about its price and availability.
MSE is simple but definitely good enough for casual use.
360TotalSecurity I've heard has good results, but perhaps a sketchy privacy background considering they are Chinese.
Malwarebytes is definitely a good shot, but free version is only on-demand, not active protection. But keep it around anyway!

Dude, I'm not even sure if you can call Norton an actual anti-virus. It's basically a pile of steaming shit. Same goes for McAfee.
08-13-2016, 03:23 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

They sure are antivirus :^)

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2016, 03:54 PM by Mudbill.)
08-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

stick to official sites, know what link you are clicking and have your antivirus installed and you should be perfectly fine

here's the probability of where to get a virus, first one being the highest

1. Advertisement links (85% times a virus)
2. Torrent file ( I'd say 40% can be much lower or much higher depending on which site you use aka if they have verified files or not)
3. random FB link

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
08-14-2016, 09:18 AM
Find