Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bugs, bugs, bugs?
thomawa
Unregistered

Solved: 7 Years, 7 Months, 1 Week ago Bugs, bugs, bugs?
So, I just posted about my controller not working properly. Started playing the game a bit with the mouse alongside the half working controller. Five minutes into the game, I get stuck outside the doctor's office. Quick Google search reveals a video of a guy getting stuck in the exact same place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oy7l4iTkNU

The video is from September 2015. A guy commented in the thread that he brought this bug to the attention of the developers several months earlier, and nothing was done. Clearly, that is still the case.

Searching some more, there are quite a lot of reports of various bugs, players getting stuck all over the place. So, what's the deal with this game? Is it really this buggy? Should I just get a refund now? I got the game as part of the most recent Humble Bundle, but as I suspect this is one of the "main" games of this month's bundle, I'd rather just cancel the whole thing if I can't get SOMA to work properly. It's a shame too, 'cause I was really looking forward to play it. Sad thing when good games are ruined by buggy coding.

For the record, most of my games never show any bugs ever, and no game has ever been close to having as many bugs as this. I have a pretty solid PC, running Windows 10 on an Intel i7 processor, GTX 970 GPU, 32 GB RAM, and all components matched to not cause problems... which they hardly ever do. Frictional Games... I am pointing my finger at you.
08-11-2016, 10:06 PM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Solved: 7 Years, 7 Months, 1 Week ago RE: Bugs, bugs, bugs?
That particular error can be fixed by simply reloading an earlier save in the game from the Load Game option on the main menu. Considering what you've encountered up to that point is rather minimal, I understand it's frustrating, but that's the simplest fix there. If it doesn't work, I'll provide a save for you.

I'm looking into your controller issue in the other thread also, but I'm away from a computer at the moment, so give me a bit!

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
08-12-2016, 04:38 AM
Find
thomawa
Unregistered

Ok, thanks. Reverting to the previous saved point worked, and I've made it past where I got stuck now. Hope it doesn't happen in more places, but if it usually works just going back to the second to last save it's not too bad anyway.

I just discovered that the left trigger on my gamepad doesn't do anything either, so I can't run using it. All the other buttons are working, so it is rather strange, but I assume it's because the trigger buttons are somewhat different to the others in that they respond to how far in you press them. Hope you figure it out, I think I'd prefer the gaming experience with my gamepad, although it is a good game playing with a mouse and keyboard as well.
08-14-2016, 10:55 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Are you able to perhaps rebind that key to something like the shoulder buttons instead of the triggers (if they're not occupied of course)?

08-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

(08-15-2016, 07:14 AM)Mudbill Wrote: Are you able to perhaps rebind that key to something like the shoulder buttons instead of the triggers (if they're not occupied of course)?

I had a look myself and I couldn't rebind them through simply going via the Controller Settings. The only thing that changes is the look and movement sticks, and there's no way to manually bind them in the Documents/My Games/Soma/Main folder.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2016, 09:06 AM by Romulator.)
08-15-2016, 09:05 AM
Find
thomawa
Unregistered

Finally figured my problems out. The issue was to do with a faulty Xinput HID driver, and what fixed the problem for me was updating my actual gamepad by connecting it with a USB cable and using the Xbox Accessories app in Windows 10. It is not enough just trying to update the drivers without plugging in the gamepad (I have the wireless one). Not the most intuitive process by any means, but this problem seems to be Microsoft's fault, not this game's. (I'm copying this solution in the other thread I started)

Anyway, I've played some more now, and enjoying the game much more with the gamepad than with the mouse. Already had a couple of very good scares, and have not gotten stuck any more places Smile Hope everything will work as it should from here on out, looking good so far.
08-16-2016, 05:09 AM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Ah! Well, I'm glad you managed to get it solved then! Smile Sorry about the inconveniences but I hope that these drawbacks won't deter you too much from the experience.

Enjoy, and feel free to report back if there are any other issues. Smile

08-16-2016, 06:08 AM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.