Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding the Spider Enemy to SOMA
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14
Lightbulb  Adding the Spider Enemy to SOMA

I've always been a bit disappointed by the spider enemy's absence. Thanks to TheDoctorPoo, it can now be used in custom campaigns.

How much work would it take to add the spider to SOMA? (Disclaimer: I have no modding experience.) One question is where it would fit. I think it belongs near the WAU, for two reasons. First, it looks more "alien" and artificial than other enemies in the game; second, partly due to the teaser, it meshes well with Giger-esque environments.

Unfortunately, Alpha is too cramped to accommodate the spider. (Evasion would be impossible.) The only other location I can think of is the abyssal trench between Tau and Alpha, but I don't know how well it would work underwater.
08-28-2016, 06:52 PM
Find
Abion47 Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Adding the Spider Enemy to SOMA

The most appropriate place would probably be the mindcoral caves. It's pretty labyrinthian already, so avoidance would be possible. The only concern would be that when running back into the caves to avoid the angler fish, trying to evade both the spider and the fish would be annoying.

As far as actual implementation, it would likely require some trial and error to see if the caves should be made bigger or have extra tunnels added, but in terms of technicality it wouldn't need much more than just a basic monster setup: trigger area on entry to activate, trigger area on exit to deactivate, and a handful of path nodes.

08-28-2016, 07:29 PM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

You're right, that would be an ideal location: dark, claustrophobic, labyrinthine. Imagine seeing the spider scuttle around a corner ahead of you, with its eyes illuminating the walls... ugh.

The spider could be restricted to one part of the caves, and despawn when the angler fish spawns.
08-29-2016, 01:51 AM
Find
Draugemalf Offline

Threads: 7

Here's an idea:

Someone remakes the fake doctor office from vertical slice, with the falling wau elevator and the whole robot area, then adds another robot area with a few spider encounters (just like the teaser but without the brain stuff). After that there's be a tunnel that drops Simon in the room where he spawns normally in upsilon where the pilot seat would be missing, but cables extend all the way where the fake doctor office was.

08-29-2016, 02:02 PM
Find