Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Custom Story won't load
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: My Custom Story won't load

Okay, posting here in case others have the same issue!

Thanks for PM'ing me this as well, I seemed to have misunderstood when the crash occurs exactly, and after checking my hpl.log file, you're correct in that it doesn't update when it crashes, even after leaving it for 3 minutes to actually black box. Amusingly, my Microsoft C++ library force closed the application.

What was wrong was actually your extra_english.lang file. The lang file works like an XML file; where you use <ELEMENT> to open an element, and </ELEMENT> to close an element (ELEMENT in this case is a placeholder text; Amnesia uses things like <CATEGORY>, <LANGUAGE> and <Entry Name> in their .lang files). While you had opening elements, you lacked closing ones, and also included things which caused an infinite loop. The game sees you have a valid custom_story_settings.cfg, and at least one map, so it shows in the list. But the failsafe "No Description" wasn't called because Amnesia thinks you have a valid extra_english.lang, but because it can't display it, it loops, and abruptly runs out of memory, hanging and eventually crashing.

This should fix your extra_english.lang file.

PHP Code: (Select All)
<LANGUAGE>
<
CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
    <
Entry Name="Description">A custom story by GhostlyEcho</Entry>
</
CATEGORY>
</
LANGUAGE

Also, while I didn't test or look through your maps, I would recommend you refrain from using punctuation and spaces in your folders and filenames. It can cause problems in some cases. Instead, use underscores ( _ ) and/or dashes (-) instead. Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2017, 05:42 AM by Romulator.)
10-28-2017, 05:41 AM
Find
GhostlyEcho Offline

Threads: 3
RE: My Custom Story won't load

Thank's. Smile
Now at least it shows among the other custom stories, but it freezes while trying to load. I did add the PHP code, and I think that made it better. But it's still not loading as it should.

~~ Creator of Amnesia mod "Underground Village Horror" ~~
10-30-2017, 07:03 PM
Find