Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flickering/Unsteady Edges
Azhubham Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Flickering/Unsteady Edges

Hello there!

Just bought Amnesia a couple of hours ago, installed it and gave it a try Wink
Sadly I encountered some graphic-issue:

My systems configuration:

Intel Core2Duo P7350 2x2.00 ghz
Geforce 9600M GT - 512 GDDR3 (Notebook)
3 Gb Ram
Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2
Nvidia-Driverversion: 260.89
Screenresolution: 1920x1080 @ 60Hz

The game's launcher set the graphic's qualitiy to high by default - so I had a quick look in there, but did not change anything.
In-game everything does work smooth and without any fps-drops.
As long as I do not turn the camera, walls, floor and objects look perfectly well - even if I move forward or backwards.
But as I do turn the camera or strafe left/right everthing starts to flicker somehow. This flickering seems to appear mostly on the edges of objects or textures that are not simply flat. If I look straight at a door's edge or at a bookshelf an keep moving askew to it, the object's edges flicker.
If I enable V-sync the flickering diminishes but does not cease.
This issue also applys if the image is distorted due to the insanity effect.

I tried to disable SSAO, Edge smooth and Parallax-settings, but the flimmering did not cease. If I disable insanity the image gets a bit steadier.
If I focus the cursor over a door's edge and move sideways to it (still looking as steady as i am able to at that door's edge) the door does not flicker - but everything else does. Disabling blur/bloom seems to have no effect.
I don't encounter that evil flickery in any other game, so it may not be my eyes^^

I really would like to play Amnesia - but I just can't stand this flickering - it hurts my eyes :/ - that is not the kind of horror intended i suppose..

Ever thanks,
Azhubham.

Edith says: hpl.log added
10-31-2010, 11:58 PM
Find
Azhubham Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Flickering/Unsteady Edges

*update*

I played another game for a while, but decided to try Amnesia again.
Now I cannot complain about any nasty flicker, because my fps is dropping low, so the game stutters anyway..
Did not change any graphic settings, but fps is at ~10 avg - heavily lagging.
Maybe the other game somehow still fills the internal memory. After restarting I'll check the performance.

-> I do not play Amnesia via Steam by the way.
11-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Find
Urrah Offline

Threads: 4

Strange, the problems you're describing are known issues but I thought that they only existed on ATI cards.

If you've tried changing the graphics options and going through the troubleshooting thread then I'd try reinstalling the game.

If that fails you could try playing in windowed mode, I have found, oddly enough, that this solves all the graphics problems I was experiencing (although windowed mode is no where near as immersive as full screen).

Looking at your hpl.log I see that you get the same "does not exist anymore" text that others experiencing graphics problems get, if you don't want to get a new graphics card you'll probably have to hope for a patch.

The only other common denomiter I can think of is that a lot of people having graphics problems are on 32 bit systems, being a noob I've got no idea if this has anything to do with computer graphics.

Sorry I can't give you more help but know that you're not alone, and keep your fingers crossed for a patch.
11-01-2010, 03:38 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Update the drivers for the graphics card, not to get newer or anything, but to make sure they are not corrupted. Do it by uninstalling, rebooting and then installing the new drivers.

After that check your nividia control panel and make sure you are not forcing any settings like fsaa or similar. Also test to turn off Aero before running the game.
11-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Website Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

If you suddenly get bad framerates, a restart could fix the issue. But as jens said, new drivers always help!
11-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Website Find
Azhubham Offline

@ Spooder Wekd: That indeed does solve low framerates and seemingly diminishes the flickering. At least it won't get me a headache anymore.. or I just got used to it ;)

The framerate drops whenever I run another 3D-application beforehand. If I restart, everything is smooth - desktop-applications seem to have no impact on amnesia's fps.

@ Jens + Urrah: (Of course) I read the troubleshooting thread before posting :) - Aero and Drivers, graphic-setup did not fix the issue.

I'll just keep restarting before playing amnesia as a workaround. I managed to get to the 'back hall' - still my hpl.log reports some 'candlestick_xy does not exist anymore" for every game's passage I get to.

* update* I'll try playing in windowed-mode - almost forgot about that :)
11-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Find
Urrah Offline

If you're playing with the crosshair off try turning it on. I found that this also solved my graphics problems.

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-5274.html
11-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Find
Azhubham Offline

Thanks Urrah, but I had allready read your thread about en/disabling the crosshair :) - wich, sadly, nobody bothered to answer (including myself).

Up to now I played with standard-settings - so I think the crosshair is enabled - as long as that white dot in the center of my screen is supposed to be a 'crosshair' ;)
- or is there something else to turn on/off?

My cursor will turn into a movement indicating hand if I happen to place it over a door/object.
I could try turning it on/off later. - going to update my post, if anything occurs.
11-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Find
Urrah Offline

If you've also tried playing in windowed mode and using the Omega drivers then I'm afraid I can't think of anything else to suggest.

I may have already said this, but other people having graphical problems are also getting the "does not exist anymore" text in their hpl.log. It's most likely a bug, we can only hope that a patch is in the works.

Sorry I can't be more help. Sad
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2010, 12:52 PM by Urrah.)
11-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Find