Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actual surround sound - Devs, please help
NeatNit Offline

Threads: 4
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Actual surround sound - Devs, please help

How do I get the game to actually output surround sound? (preferrably 7.1 but 5.1 is ok too)
Is this even possible?

This post is just a copy-paste from my post in the sticky but I figured this might get more attention.

From the log file:
Initializing Sound Module
--------------------------------------------------------
Initializing OpenAL
  Available OpenAL devices:
   0. DirectSound Software on Speakers (Logitech G930 Headset)
   1. DirectSound Software on Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
   2. DirectSound Software on Digital Audio (HDMI) (High Definition Audio Device)
   3. DirectSound Software on Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)
   4. Generic Software on Speakers (Logitech G930 Headset)(OpenAL default)
   5. Generic Software on Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
   6. Generic Software on Digital Audio (HDMI) (High Definition Audio Device)
   7. Generic Software on Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)
  Trying to open device 'Generic Software on Speakers (Logitech G930 Headset)'... Success!
  Number of mono sources: 32
  Streaming setup: 4 Buffers x 262144 bytes each
--------------------------------------------------------

From the G930 settings window, right after trying both modes from the above list:
[Image: surroundnone.png]

From the G930 settings window, after testing the G930 with something in the control panel:
[Image: surroundone.png]

(pics were taken on that day, 31.10.10)

I actually put off playing Amnesia till I got the headset... then when I found out the hard way that there's no surround, I played half of it... and here I am now, trying to triple my enjoyment of the rest of it Smile
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2010, 02:29 PM by NeatNit.)
11-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Actual surround sound

Hmm. Could be that your headphones are not surround sound. Or maybe they are not plugged in all the way (so only one headphone will receive the audio signal.) If not that then, double check your sound settings in Amnesia...
11-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Website Find
NeatNit Offline

Please look at the pictures I posted. After running Amnesia (and I tried both "Generic Software" and "DirectSound Software"), the G930's software window tells me that surround sound was last detected on the 22nd. This was on the 31st, so clearly Amnesia doesn't output surround sound. When I use Windows to test the headset, the software immediately updates the date, proving that it's not being unreliable.

By the way, this headset is USB Wink
11-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

(11-02-2010, 01:23 AM)NeatNit Wrote: Please look at the pictures I posted. After running Amnesia (and I tried both "Generic Software" and "DirectSound Software"), the G930's software window tells me that surround sound was last detected on the 22nd. This was on the 31st, so clearly Amnesia doesn't output surround sound. When I use Windows to test the headset, the software immediately updates the date, proving that it's not being unreliable.

By the way, this headset is USB Wink

Well then. You'll have to hire a group of voice actors and sound technicians to stand behind a set of black curtains so you can get true surround sound! Seriously though, I suppose you are SOL.
11-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Website Find
NeatNit Offline

No... Not at all. It's all about the engine (and it's understandable that it doesn't support surround). It has nothing to do with the recording of the sounds and voices.

For example, I dropped a crate. If I dropped it in front of me, the sound should go to the center channel. If it's behind me, the sound should come out from both rear-left and rear-right (there is no center rear). If the crate dropped in front of me but to the left, the sound goes to the front-left channel. Same goes to any sound or voice in the game - all the engine has to do is decide where the sound is coming from in relation to where I'm facing, and point the sound to the appropriate channel.

Right now it only does it with stereo. If you have a headset, try this - drop a box in front of you, behind you, to your left or to your right. You'll hear where the noise is coming from (behind and in front of you will sound the same though).

All that needs to be changes is the engine, and I really hope Frictional Games do this soon.
11-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

I was kidding. I realize that the engine would have to be upgraded for full surround sound. I doubt it will be implemented though...
11-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Website Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Actual surround sound - Impossible?

Did you read this thread? http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4313.html
11-04-2010, 02:54 AM
Find
NeatNit Offline

Of course.

The OP in this thread is a copy-paste of a post I made in that sticky.

I assume that thread was there to fix a problem that came up when trying to run the game on a surround sound system - probably something that made it output to only two speakers or something. I really don't know. But the game does not output surround sound.
11-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

Oh, sorry I didn't see that. Did you try the OpenAL-soft dll then? Because that worked for me.
11-05-2010, 03:36 AM
Find
NeatNit Offline

Yes, all it did was give me the options in the Sound tab in the launcher... Do you mean that you have actual surround sound?

Edit: I didn't notice this before, but I have the same problem as this guy (from the sticky thread):
(09-23-2010, 07:17 PM)stgurgel Wrote: I tried all these tricks but stumbled upon the problem that I'm using digital output for my surround (reatek onboard HD) and thus, as far as I understand it, I have no speaker configuration settings.
I have no problem getting the right devices to show up, but no way to get Amnesia to realize it should output 5.1 (unless I'm missing something obvious)
Huh
Please help me
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2010, 02:15 PM by NeatNit.)
11-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Find