Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Detective Custom Story for Amnesia - brainstorm
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Detective Custom Story for Amnesia - brainstorm

Thank you so much! Everything works and it's awesome Big Grin

PS. In case someone has some new ideas, feel free to go back to the initial topic of the thread

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2016, 11:35 PM by Darkfire.)
10-15-2016, 11:34 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

I would like to propose that we perhaps form a group and set out to create a project like this together if y'all'd've wanted to. I think I'll be free for a week at the end of this month so maybe I can get something done for it. It's an interesting project that I'd like to see done.

Sorry for forcing that contraction. It's a real thing and it scares me.

10-17-2016, 10:48 AM
Find
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34

(10-17-2016, 10:48 AM)Mudbill Wrote: I would like to propose that we perhaps form a group and set out to create a project like this together if y'all'd've wanted to. I think I'll be free for a week at the end of this month so maybe I can get something done for it. It's an interesting project that I'd like to see done.

Sorry for forcing that contraction. It's a real thing and it scares me.

Yes, me too. I could make 2D background and the nodes in the mind map.
I thought about nodes as smaller images which player could place on the background and connect them.

Would this be viable strategy? Is it posssible to write a code which can organize images as mindmap in the engine for this purpose?
parent --> child --> child --> child
                                   --> child --> child --> child
                                                            --> child --> child --> deduction output
10-17-2016, 12:21 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(10-17-2016, 12:21 PM)brus Wrote: Yes, me too. I could make 2D background and the nodes in the mind map.
I thought about nodes as smaller images which player could place on the background and connect them.

Would this be viable strategy? Is it posssible to write a code which can organize images as mindmap in the engine for this purpose?
parent --> child --> child --> child
                                                            --> child --> child --> deduction output

Some very, very cleverly and delicately placed rope material maybe to join them, with particles as the nodes.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
10-17-2016, 12:39 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22

I have to state that I might be difficult to work with. I'm in the last class of high school. It's not easy on me, and schedule's a bitch D:

When it comes to me, I'll definitely do the mapping and basic storywriting. What do I mean by basic?
Characters, setting of the story and base for the crime to solve.
I'm kinda afraid of writing the investigation itself; It has to interlock perfectly with the possibilites of the engine and models we have (I plan on using AMFP and White Night stuff - I already have them prepared, and they are not forbidden from reusing).
When it comes to gameplay, here's my vision:
Main character is sent to a crime scene a after a phone call. They investigate the scene (player can leave the map after collecting a minimal number of clues which will enable them to deduct anything) and come back to their base (home, apartment, hotel room) where the deduction board is set up. Then:
-Picked up items can be pinned to the board (or it could be a horizontal table)
-Picked up notes will set some variables, which will then enable player to pin these notes on the board
-Examined areas (e.g. dead body, broken window, blood spatter), placement of items (and maybe note content too) will make a new entry in the mementos section (which will be changed to "clues" or "evidence"). Then player will be able to use these (they will have to float in air in front of the table, as short sentences), which will be scripted via (if QuestIsAdded(string& asName) == true/false).
These mementos can be also triggered by phone conversations and pretty much anything else that isn't an item nor a note.

How these will be connected and scripted is more than I can chew right now.
I'm thinking of two concepts though:
a) There are "questions" which are answered by the player (eg "what was the murder weapon?" - Player places a knife on the table). This seems a little bit too easy for the player.
b) Mind map, maybe reminding a labirynth. Seems a little too hard for the developers D:

One more thing, how would we execute the actual capture of the culprit ? This is a thing that kinda screwed up my previous Custom Story, I didn't think it through and I had to make last minute changes.
It could simply be a newspaper article, but it's a bit plain.
Also, how would a failed investigation end ?

(Oh, and I can arrange voice actors and new music)

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2016, 02:48 PM by Darkfire.)
10-17-2016, 02:43 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I would love to put time into scripting up these. I feel like this is something I could do well. Scripting was always my strongest suit in HPL2 anyway.

We should definitely sit down together, perhaps in a call (/r/SOMA on Discord?) and discuss and write down everything we need, if we are available for such. I like the ideas here, and as long as I have a complete overview, then I can try to judge what will be a challenge, and what will have to be a workaround. So far this all sounds possible with a little smart thinking of how the core scripts will work.

I might be able to gather some people for VA and music as well if need be, but that'll be later in that case. I could also do a few custom models if we need them, though I'm no expert. I probably do best with creating small objects, like tools and perhaps some furniture and generic items for the scenes should we need 'em.

I could also help conduct the scene itself, but I might want to dedicate myself to the core scripts instead and then let someone else actually piece them together in a clever way. We'll see.

(Tbh I'm quite hyped about this idea, something I haven't been with Amnesia in a long time)
(Another weird thing is that I feel like I've thought of this myself as well earlier. Perhaps it's a common idea?)

Oh, and one more thing, as a nice detail near the end: If we need any artwork done (like cutscenes or newspapery stuff or maybe mugshots for suspects?), I have loads of contacts/friends we could check on. I'd pay for it if all goes well.

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2016, 11:31 PM by Mudbill.)
10-17-2016, 04:30 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I wanted to see what would happen, so I made a shitty newspaper model and entity. You thinking it would be something to pick up to replace the diary section? Thinking about it, that's probably not a good idea. Currently this is just a grab entity.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 4efe4becd0ed475fb29414e157bfa7e4.png]

Anyways, where do you guys want to hook up regarding this project? A Discord server?
Do you guys use Dropbox? If so we can share a folder so that everyone have up-to-date files.

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2016, 05:50 PM by Mudbill.)
10-19-2016, 05:46 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Just wanted to say that I'd be happy to help work on this. Communicating over Discord or Skype or whatever is fine by me (Discord preferred since it doesn't eat up my laptop resources, rip).

Right now, I'm doing some experimentation using Amnesia's Save Data to modify outcomes. This requires a Custom Launcher (or an app to run in the background), which I'm messing around with in VB. Might be able to assist with some stuff :)

In house, I can map, I can script, I can re-texture. Pretty much what Mudbill can do, but not nearly as well, hehe. :P

I'll also re-do the base of operations/apartment room for when I did my previous concept as a map/screenshot and place it here. Shouldn't take too long since I more or less remember how it was structured.

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2016, 12:52 PM by Romulator.)
10-22-2016, 12:46 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Here's a quick uncommentated video of some stuff I did for this. Ignore the tables in the back.

I added the phone icon to the phone (replaces the Ladder icon, but doubt we'll need to climb ladders)

Added inspection function, like on the dead maid. Icon overrides Ignite. Very Penumbra-esce.

I've modified the inventory screen. Not finished, but was thinking something along those lines. We could use the tinderboxes frame to display some kind of status of items? Easter eggs? Basically it can be anything that enumerates, custom lang entries and icon, then added via GiveItem("tinderbox" etc)

You might notice a few other things I've done as well.

Thoughts?

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2016, 03:01 PM by Mudbill.)
10-22-2016, 03:00 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

(10-22-2016, 12:46 PM)Romulator Wrote: I'll also re-do the base of operations/apartment room for when I did my previous concept as a map/screenshot and place it here. Shouldn't take too long since I more or less remember how it was structured.

Click it for a full sized image. A lot more needs to be added, such as the kitchen assets I originally had (pretty sure I pinched them from White Night, lel) and some bathroom assets from MFP and that needs porting. But this was how my original base of operations was handled, and contracts for investigating were letters slid under your door (Or rather, AddPropForced under your door).

Spoiler below!
[Image: 4fd7f3c448.jpg]

10-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Find