Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia Launcher Will Not Execute Properly
ElendilAndurilz Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Amnesia Launcher Will Not Execute Properly

Hello.

I just purchased Amnesia through Steam, and have not been able to get the launcher to boot in any way. When I run the game, steam opens the "preparing to launch Amnesia" window, but nothing ever boots afterwards (launcher.exe runs in the task manager for about 2-3 seconds, but nothing ever appears, and it quickly ends the process). I tried running the .exe's directly, but they boot through steam anyways and have the same issue. I have verified the cache with Steam, which did not fix the problem either, and am now midway through reinstalling the game.

If the problem persists after this reinstall, I will post a log file if possible.

I am running 64 bit Windows 7 on an Asus G73J with an ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics card. My drivers are up to date (not that it seems to be relevent, since the launcher isn't even starting), and I have no problem running other openGL programs. In addition all of my other steam software is working normally. If you have any solutions, please let me know.

It seems that other people are having this problem as well. I wonder if there is currently some issue with the steam install. Hopefully this will be solved soon. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Jared
The problem still persists after the reinstall. I have checked the Amnesia folder in my documents, but no hpl.log file has been created. The only file is launcher.log in the Main folder, but the file is empty.

Let me know if you need any other information from me, and if there's anything that can be done to help.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2010, 10:01 PM by ElendilAndurilz.)
11-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Find
ElendilAndurilz Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Amnesia Launcher won't run with Steam.

I wanted to add an additional piece of information that may or may not be relevant. My steam, and therefore copy of Amnesia are installed on a secondary hard drive, not containing my OS. This has never caused an issue with a game in the past, but I figured I would mention it just in case.
11-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Set so Amnesia.exe is run as administrator and see if that helps.
11-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Find
ElendilAndurilz Offline

I've found someone else with my exact setup and issue who also has no solution.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/sh...161&page=2

I have also tried everything the original poster in that thread has gone through, with no results besides the one stated below.

I've tried everything I can think of. I'm nearly sure the issue has to do with the launcher communicating with either steam or amnesia.exe. If I rename amnesia.exe to launcher.exe, tricking steam to boot the game directly, I am able to get a crash report, which I will attach. I'm not sure whether that information is helpful or not, but I'm just trying to give you guys everything to work with that I possibly can. I have a feeling if I had purchased a copy directly from here I may not have had issues judging from the results I've seen on various forums.

If you need any other information from me, or have any ideas whatsoever please let me know. I'm extremely frustrated, and just want to get a copy of this game working.

Edit: Thomas, I have tried to run the game with both Amnesia.exe, and Launcher.exe as administrator. I have also run them in various compatibility and priority modes, with no change in the results.

Edit 2: After a bit of analyzing, I have realized that launcher.exe does run in the task manager for about 5 seconds, and then the process ends. Nothing appears on the display during this time.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2010, 09:15 AM by ElendilAndurilz.)
11-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Find
ElendilAndurilz Offline

I've been unable to make any progress on the issue. If anyone has any ideas, I'm willing to try anything. I really don't want to have to attempt to get a refund from Steam, especially since I'm really looking forward to the game.
11-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Find
ElendilAndurilz Offline

I have a major new piece of information. Today, I installed the game without Steam, and the issue still persists. It seems it is not related to Steam, but rather Launcher.exe. That file will not run, regardless of all compatibility modes or as an administrator. Running Amnesia.exe directly now causes the same crash report that I attached to a previous post.

I have double checked all of my drivers, and they are up to date, and everything about my laptop is up to date, and configured properly. The issue may be a compatibility issue with the Asus bios, as G73J's are known for being very unique machines, but I have a feeling this is a small bug in the launcher.exe code. If anyone has any ideas, or opinions as to this situation, please let me know. I'm dying to play this game, and I have no other machine capable of running it. By all means, I should be able to get this to work. Thanks again for anyone who takes the time to read through all of this. I realize I've given a lot of information much of which is useless, but I just want to be thorough.
11-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Find
ElendilAndurilz Offline

I have one idea that I really feel may work. If someone can create a configuration file that is compatible with my hardware, I might be able to run the game successfully without the launcher. Other than this, no one seems to have any possible solutions.

If anyone is up for giving this a shot, let me know.
I just tried installing and running the demo, instead of the full game. When I do this, instead of just not running, the launcher.exe stops responding, and windows gave me this information when I click "Show more information."

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\Jared\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9F3.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Users\Jared\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1F58.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\Jared\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1FE5.tmp.mdmp

This sounds like it might be a key piece of the puzzle. Hopefully that will mean something to you guys.

In addition, when launcher.exe stopped responding while trying to run the demo, it also created an hpl.log for the first time. I will attach it to the post.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2010, 10:51 PM by ElendilAndurilz.)
11-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Amnesia Launcher Will Not Execute Properly

Where was this hpl.log found? The new version of the launcher should create a log file in "My Documents/Amnesia/Main" called launcher.log.

And if the game crashes when setting the screen resolution, then it must be a problem with the graphic card drivers. Download the latest from the ATI website, uninstall current, reboot, install the ones uyou downloaded. You might even want to run driver cleaner or similar to make sure they old are really gone. Even if your system tells you the drivers are up-to-date, do not trust this as it is possible the drivers are corrupt.
11-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Find
ElendilAndurilz Offline

(11-08-2010, 10:56 AM)Thomas Wrote: Where was this hpl.log found? The new version of the launcher should create a log file in "My Documents/Amnesia/Main" called launcher.log.

And if the game crashes when setting the screen resolution, then it must be a problem with the graphic card drivers. Download the latest from the ATI website, uninstall current, reboot, install the ones uyou downloaded. You might even want to run driver cleaner or similar to make sure they old are really gone. Even if your system tells you the drivers are up-to-date, do not trust this as it is possible the drivers are corrupt.

The log file was in my documents. It may have appeared when I tried to run Amnesia.exe directly without the launcher. Launcher.log is in the folder as well, but it is empty of any information.

The game actually doesn't crash when setting the screen resolution, it closes before the launcher.exe is able to open whatsoever. I have never been able to see the launcher in any way so far, and therefore cannot change adjust my settings to run Amnesia.exe. Is there any way of manually adjusting graphical options without using the launcher?

I just wiped and then reinstalled my drivers to be completely sure (both my Asus bios and ATI drivers are definitely up to date), and the problem still persists.

Thanks for the response Thomas. Let me know if you have any other ideas, or need anything else from me.
11-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Find
batosai33 Offline

Threads: 0

I am having the same issue with the exact same computer setup. I wish i had something to offer or some new info, but it does sound like the problem is connected to the hardware and not the software since two of the same laptops have the same problem unless there is something else that could mean that i don't know about.
05-06-2011, 03:40 AM
Find