Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

My thougths on Amnesia and more.
Tottel Offline

Threads: 9
My thougths on Amnesia and more.

It has been done many times before, and you're probably thinking: "Not another newcomer giving his opinion on the game *sigh*", but I somehow felt that I should give some feedback on one of the greatest Indie games I've ever played. And I can in all honesty say, the best horror game I have ever seen.

The game itself would be a good thing to start with. I pre-purchased the game on steam. I had heard about the game a few times and after discovering it was made by the developers of Penumbra, I didn't hesitate and purchased it right away. After all, Penumbra was (and still is) a brilliant game that could get me playing for hours and hours; always on the tip of my chair and with the regular doses of hyperventilation.
Compared to Penumbra, as probably most of you will agree with me, Amnesia is quite different in a few ways. What I noticed first was obviously the insanity; I didn't really know what to think of it at first. There is no combat in the game, you must survive by hiding; but how can you hide when your sanity drops in darkness and in sight of enemies?
Very quickly though, I got used to the system and after a short while it felt only natural. After all, I was nearly just as scared as the protagonist while playing; I could imagine how I also would react if this were real.

So far, I haven't completed the game yet. Remarkable, eh? I always kept it for those few perfect and select moments. Being alone, obviously playing at night in complete darkness and with my headset on. Taking my time, not rushing through the levels (with the exception of being chased..). Since then, university has started again, minimizing the time I can game. Every now and then, I will launch the game, play some more, end it after a while and go to bed, thinking of how great and fearsome it was.
Once I finished the game, I plan on using the mod tools. Modding is something that has always interested me and Amnesia is definitely no exception.

There are a few things that make Amnesia such a favourable game for me. Most of those are related to the game itself:
The lack of combat is something I absolutely love. I've tried many mods/addons/games where you find yourself in a similar role and it usually starts out nicely. You have to hide, run, puzzle your way through the levels, until you find weapons. Finding weapons is something that always killed the experience for me.
Secondly, the game experience is excellent. The way you play, how the world is built up, it's extremely immersing and polished.
Many more reasons can be summed up here: The brilliant story-telling, the unknowing at first, slowly discovering why you are there,..

Apart from the game, I'm a person who finds the development team of great importance and it influences how I look at the game.
Just today, I started reading the dev blog, and discovered Amnesia was made by 5 men. Having this in mind, I can only respect the game more and enjoy playing Amnesia to a greater extent.

Lastly, in a combination of game and dev. team, I highly appreciate how they implement new factors, unseen (or so I think, my knowledge of games goes back to a certain date in my youth) in any other game made so far. The insanity is my prime example here.
This gives me great trust in what else Frictional Games can, and probably will, do in the future.

Moving on from the game, after reading the blog post(s) on piracy, I hope FG will never deal with certain forms of anti-piracy protection. I believe we all know what this can do in extreme forms (like EA and ubisoft).
In honesty, I can say that I've pirated games before. Although trying to keep it to a minimum, I don't make such a big deal out of it. I regard them as 'demos'. If I like them, I will buy them; especially when they have multiplayer.
That is a problem for Singleplayer-only games without a high replay value like Amnesia, you would say?
Yes, true.. But I make exceptions for "Indie" games. I don't pirate those. Ever. Reading how you made this game with less than minimal wages, hoping to earn something after release has only strengthened my beliefs that we should support indie developers.

Now, to end this rather long and probably useless post, a question regarding development:
Is Frictional Games open to new developers, by any chance? People who don't mind getting payed less, working extra hard,..?
I still have a few more years of studying to go, but, opposed to many people in my class, it has always been my dream to work in a smaller company on lower budget games. Smile

So far my post on Amnesia and the team. Long and useless, but if it somehow gave someone a bit of a good impression, it has served its role.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2010, 02:13 PM by Tottel.)
11-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10
RE: My thougths on Amnesia and more.

I think that Amnesia inspires so many people to write walls of text full of praise like this speaks for itself Smile

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
11-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Find
Nospheratu Offline

Threads: 1

(11-05-2010, 02:16 PM)Frontcannon Wrote: I think that Amnesia inspires so many people to write walls of text full of praise like this speaks for itself Smile

Exactly Big Grin

(11-05-2010, 02:06 PM)Tottel Wrote: Every now and then, I will launch the game, play some more, end it after a while and go to bed, thinking of how great and fearsome it was. Once I finished the game, I plan on using the mod tools. Modding is something that has always interested me and Amnesia is definitely no exception.

Don't worry; it took me about 2 weeks to finish it and this mostly becouse in the scariest parts i actually had to take day-long breaks and even then convince myself to start it up for hours before actually doing it. Btw, i recommend you (and all others) to also play it through again with the commentary enabled since it provides much interesting information.

(11-05-2010, 02:06 PM)Tottel Wrote: Just today, I started reading the dev blog, and discovered Amnesia was made by 5 men. Having this in mind, I can only respect the game more and enjoy playing Amnesia to a greater extent.

Welcome to the club. If anyone deserves a pat on the back, it's these 5 guys; also judging from the general sentiment the game itself is already becoming a benchmark for the genre which is certainly a great achievement.

(11-05-2010, 02:06 PM)Tottel Wrote: I hope FG will never deal with certain forms of anti-piracy protection. I believe we all know what this can do in extreme forms (like EA and ubisoft).
In honesty, I can say that I've pirated games before. Although trying to keep it to a minimum, I don't make such a big deal out of it. I regard them as 'demos'. If I like them, I will buy them; especially when they have multiplayer. ...
But I make exceptions for "Indie" games. I don't pirate those. Ever. Reading how you made this game with less than minimal wages, hoping to earn something after release has only strengthened my beliefs that we should support indie developers.

THIS is part of the mindset I was talking about in my post as well: it's also up to the people who pirate stuff to change their thinking process and actually give credit where credit is due; no amount of anti-piracy protection, anti-piracy laws or million-dollar law suits is going to change that.

(11-05-2010, 02:06 PM)Tottel Wrote: Is Frictional Games open to new developers, by any chance? People who don't mind getting payed less, working extra hard,..?
I still have a few more years of studying to go, but, opposed to many people in my class, it has always been my dream to work in a smaller company on lower budget games. Smile

Holy sh... it seems we're thinkalotalikers Big Grin Not to "brag" or anything, but I'm also working in a small computer business with a minimal wage, therefor I can very much relate to the guys at Frictional... But even with things currently not going very good, i don't mind "taking one for the team" since I like to do what I do and the people I work with regardless of the payment (as long as I have my minimum expences covered, I'm ok). I sincerely hope that in the near future more people will start to think this way.

(11-05-2010, 02:06 PM)Tottel Wrote: Long and useless, but if it somehow gave someone a bit of a good impression, it has served its role.

Not useless at all - it has served it's role and also made my day nicer, so thank you for posting.

Better to reign in hell than to be a servant in heaven.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2010, 03:55 PM by Nospheratu.)
11-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Find
Tottel Offline

(11-05-2010, 02:16 PM)Frontcannon Wrote: I think that Amnesia inspires so many people to write walls of text full of praise like this speaks for itself :)

So it seems. All the better if a game and the developers deserve the praise. :)

(11-05-2010, 03:47 PM)Nospheratu Wrote: Btw, i recommend you (and all others) to also play it through again with the commentary enabled since it provides much interesting information.

I definitely will. :)

(11-05-2010, 03:47 PM)Nospheratu Wrote: Holy sh... it seems we're thinkalotalikers :D

So it seems indeed. Maybe this is a typical aspect of Indie-supporters? :p

(11-05-2010, 03:47 PM)Nospheratu Wrote: Not useless at all - it has served it's role and also made my day nicer, so thank you for posting.

Thank you, sir. :)
11-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

I don't think I have heard anyone ever not like the game. Amnesia is the only game like that. Penumbra as well, actually. Though I'm sure there is someone out there bitching that Penumbra is too scary! Am I the only one who thinks Penumbra was scarier than Amnesia?
11-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Website Find
Tottel Offline

(11-05-2010, 05:05 PM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks Penumbra was scarier than Amnesia?

I'm not sure. Penumbra was quite different, you would stay in the dark as much as possible and actually feel safe for as long as you hold still.
In Amnesia however, you're not even safe in the dark because you can't hold still for long, this makes it more scary. On the other hand, you always light up as much as you in order to preserve your sanity. This makes it a bit less scary, I suppose (although this is arguable, a few lights are still scary as hell).

Overall, I couldn't say.. I know Amnesia scares the hell out of me, just like Penumbra.
11-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

(11-05-2010, 05:07 PM)Tottel Wrote:
(11-05-2010, 05:05 PM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks Penumbra was scarier than Amnesia?

I'm not sure. Penumbra was quite different, you would stay in the dark as much as possible and actually feel safe for as long as you hold still.
In Amnesia however, you're not even safe in the dark because you can't hold still for long, this makes it more scary. On the other hand, you always light up as much as you in order to preserve your sanity. This makes it a bit less scary, I suppose (although this is arguable, a few lights are still scary as hell).

Overall, I couldn't say.. I know Amnesia scares the hell out of me, just like Penumbra.
Yea, needless to say they are very different games. I felt less safe in Penumbra because it was often so dark I did not know if there were enemies or not, until it turned around and killed me and it was too late. Also, I felt it was too easy to escape enemies in Amnesia, which alleviates frustration, but also removes tension. In Penumbra once an enemy saw you, you're done! (note I always play on hardest difficulty to maximize scaryness!) Also, on my first time through Penumbra, I actually got too scared to continue once, An experience I never got with Amnesia (though I got damned close!) Both great games!
11-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Website Find
davva Offline

i would say that Penumbra is more scary than Amnesia.
Spoiler below!
at the end of Penumbra Overture when just killed Red, you walk through the big locked security door. when you enter the final hallway/room in the game you see a guy when you start to go near him all the lights just turn off and the whole hallway is pitchblack and you flashlight doesn't work, i almost cried when i saw that the door that you came from was locked, i stood there for like 5 min before i had the courage to even take a step. holy shit that was intense

sorry if the grammar and spelling is wrong, i hope you get the point

Spoiler below!

.png   Scary as shit.png (Size: 197.16 KB / Downloads: 147)

11-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

(11-05-2010, 05:32 PM)davva Wrote: i would say that Penumbra is more scary than Amnesia.
Spoiler below!
at the end of Penumbra Overture when just killed Red, you walk through the big locked security door. when you enter the final hallway/room in the game you see a guy when you start to go near him all the lights just turn off and the whole hallway is pitchblack and you flashlight doesn't work, i almost cried when i saw that the door that you came from was locked, i stood there for like 5 min before i had the courage to even take a step. holy shit that was intense

sorry if the grammar and spelling is wrong, i hope you get the point

Spoiler below!

Yea that was awesome!
In Black Plague
Spoiler below!

end of the game was horrifying! I was soo scared betraying the turningat dudes! that last bit felt like an hour! I was just waiting for them to come in and kick my ass for screwing them over! (though they never did! Tongue)

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2010, 05:37 PM by Spooder Wekd.)
11-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Website Find
davva Offline

well i kinda cheated in the end of black plauge. i had the brightness way up so i didn't need the flashlight. and even then i was shitting brix.

i regret it now tho :/

11-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Find