Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie - Will my Mac specs run SOMA?
MylesDee Offline

Threads: 1
Not Solved Newbie - Will my Mac specs run SOMA?

Hi all
Gaming newbie here... Just wondering if my MacBook Pro specs are OK to run SOMA. If not, can I improve and how.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Thanks very much Smile
MDee
11-19-2016, 03:02 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Not Solved RE: Newbie - Will my Mac specs run SOMA?

I would say if you're lucky but don't count on it.

First off, Intel graphics are unsupported and may not work at all. If they do, you'll most likely get a very poor result. You will need your GPU to support OpenGL version 3.3 or higher, so check that.

The memory might be a problem. I believe SOMA has written 4GB of RAM as the minimum, but keep in mind that other processes as well as the OS itself will take some of those resources.

As for upgradability, Macs are very restricted (as are many laptops in general). You can upgrade memory or the disk, but I believe the GPU and CPU are stuck with ya. You'll probably need a new machine to run SOMA.

Do check the OpenGL version though. If it's below 3.3, then it's guaranteed to not work. If it's above, then it might actually work.

For reference, I have these specs on my iMac
Spoiler below!

Processor: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.4 GHz
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB
Storage: 1TB internal HDD

Mine did not run SOMA because OpenGL was only 3.2.

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2016, 01:09 PM by Mudbill.)
11-19-2016, 12:58 PM
Find
MylesDee Offline

Threads: 1

(11-19-2016, 12:58 PM)Mudbill Wrote: I would say if you're lucky but don't count on it.

First off, Intel graphics are unsupported and may not work at all. If they do, you'll most likely get a very poor result. You will need your GPU to support OpenGL version 3.3 or higher, so check that.

The memory might be a problem. I believe SOMA has written 4GB of RAM as the minimum, but keep in mind that other processes as well as the OS itself will take some of those resources.

As for upgradability, Macs are very restricted (as are many laptops in general). You can upgrade memory or the disk, but I believe the GPU and CPU are stuck with ya. You'll probably need a new machine to run SOMA.

Do check the OpenGL version though. If it's below 3.3, then it's guaranteed to not work. If it's above, then it might actually work.

For reference, I have these specs on my iMac
Spoiler below!

Processor: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.4 GHz
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB
Storage: 1TB internal HDD

Mine did not run SOMA because OpenGL was only 3.2.

Hi Mudbill
I went ahead and bought it anyway and it seems to be working fine. I've played it for a few hours and haven't encountered any problems. Thanks for your reply Smile
MD
11-19-2016, 11:31 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Alright, great. I suspected it might since it was quite some VRAM for an Intel card (1536 MB).
Have fun!

11-20-2016, 03:47 AM
Find