Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Gaming funk?
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78
Gaming funk?

I've wanted to pen this down for a while now. Since childhood I loved video games, and my passion toward this beautiful medium was probably founded due to the fact that instead of going out with other kids I would sit at home due to health issues, where I played tons of shit. Like, I could literally spend days on Retrun to Castle Wolfenstein, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, Morrowind or Gothic 2. As years rapidly flied by, I felt like I'm getting even more rejected from my peers, couldn't really fit among them, started being "that" guy who sits at home and barely talks to his friends. But don't get me wrong - this isn't about me whining on being alone or antisocial, fuck no, I was and partially still am like that, but I absolutely don't mind it. I've accepted and started loving it. I think what filled in the hole caused by this were the video games that I played, so I never really had any bigger problems with my personality or the environment around me. But this didn't last forever, as it turns out. Recently, I've ran into this occurrence, the so called "gaming funk". And guess what? Thanks to that I realized that besides gaming I really have no other hobbies to occupy myself with when I sit at home. So, days became longer, I've grown even more bored and tired since I don't have anything to do, and I'm afraid that a slight tint of depression is starting to catch me. People have been like "meh, find a hobby mate" but this isn't exactly helpful. Almost every hobby I had was linked to video games - modding, recording videos, bits of machinima stuff in the past. I've also heard people saying to try out different genres, but it didn't work either because my funk applies to everything related to playing shit.

Now that you know how important games are to me, I ask for your hints. How do I get out of this hole that I basically dug for myself? Am I just growing into an old fart and simply stopped to enjoy a good game, or should I just take a huge break from playing stuff and focus on something else?
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2017, 04:00 PM by Slanderous.)
01-14-2017, 03:59 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: Gaming funk?

I don't quite grasp the "gaming funk" concept.
Is it like you can't do anything that has a relation to games anymore?
When you record a video about a game, and become tired of it, are you tired of gaming, or tired of making the videos?
When you mod, and become tired of it, is it the gaming, or just working on the mod in general?

Things can get tedious.
I'm not very good at working on something for a long time. Still, I usually need a creational outlet, somehow, so I crave something to do. Just not that thing which I'm tired of.

Sometimes I get an idea for something new. I try to create it, and end up half done. The concept is there, but it lacks content and the finishing touch. It's ok. I can leave it, and maybe come back.

So, my advice?
Do what you want and try something new at the same time.

You want to play a game, but everything you have is tedious and you've done it before...
Try a new genre, maybe?
I like to ask my friends what they like, that I haven't played. Sometimes something new is there.

You want to mod, but you're tired of modding all the old games?
Have you thought about creating your own game? You don't have to release anything. You don't have to show anything off. But modding is almost always a step towards creating your own game.
Using a game's editor to create your own touch on the game means getting a fun idea and trying it out. Maybe even building something around it.

That's how some of my games usually start.
Here are a couple that I have not finished, but were just ideas that I wanted to try and create.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdKP5mUAqe0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjB75watdp8

EDIT:
Oh oh oh! One more obvious thing.
When I'm not playing or creating games, I like to watch anime.
It's nice to sit back and be entertained by something that doesn't require your input all the time (As a game would).
It doesn't have to specifically be anime (Although I recommend it Wink ) but any kind of movie kind of media that catches your interest. There's a lot out there.
This also helps getting ideas in general for anything that you might want to do.

Another thought:
What kind of games do you play? The games you mentioned were mostly Singleplayer games weren't they? Is it possible that some multiplayer games could spice things up? Playing with a team, where people also depend on you, not like an AI does, but like a person does.

Welp... I keep getting more thoughts.
About being anti-social.
What about people online? Do you have some people that you talk to? When being on a forum like this, or playing games where I interact with other people, I sometimes come across people that I like talking to. Those are people I like to add to my friends list, on steam and such.
These are people who invite me to play with them in games, or people who likes the same things I do, such as modding or creating games.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2017, 04:49 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
01-14-2017, 04:12 PM
Find
SamChurch Offline

Threads: 3

I'm in a very similar situation. I've had 3 jobs in the last year and naturally that stirs people away from hiring me so right now I'm just kinda waiting in between jobs. I have a lot of spare time for my gaming but I've come to the point where most of my games just don't interest me right now. My advice, and what has worked for me, (kind of tying in to what FlawlessHappiness said) find some form of media to watch. I love Rooster Teeth and I started to binge their podcast. I soon found myself watching some of their other shows and I enjoy them very much. The ironic thing is that one of my favorite shows, and one I just finished up to date, is a show called Immersion where they test video game science in real life. Another suggestion that is somewhat working for me, try switching platforms. My majority loyalty is towards Xbox One but I've come to a dead end with it. I have tons of games that I've bought recently and never even tried because I just don't feel the urge. So I switched to PC, and more specifically the over 200 games in my Steam library. I've also taken up playing games on my dusty old PS3. Maybe you just need a change of style. Or maybe you simply must find a new hobby. Maybe find a local club to join. Or simply meet new people. Anything can happen, just don't give up. Have fun
01-15-2017, 01:13 AM
Find
DanielRand47 Away

Threads: 16

I feel you Slanderous on being rejected by peers and coming to peace with it. I've always been the "keep to myself" type and only engage in conversation if I truly feel like. Such as now for instance. In terms of the gaming funk I try to find other hobbies to occupy my mind. (Though this is just me.) For me I have a bit of a musical background and enjoy playing the Bassoon. However due to the level of difficulty that instrument provides I do get frustrated at times and tend to move on to other avenues. The other thing I do is pull out a good JRPG such as Final Fantasy which then I can connect with the characters in those stories. Though only for a time that is.

Going back to the social aspect, most of the individuals I speak to are on this forum. Sad I know, but I have a group I can easily connect with. But to really answer your question, I would suggest either taking time away from gaming or trying something with it that you've never done before or have always wanted to do.

By the way SamChurch, welcome to the FG community! Good to have you with us! Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2017, 04:32 AM by DanielRand47.)
01-15-2017, 04:31 AM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(01-14-2017, 04:12 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote:
Spoiler below!
I don't quite grasp the "gaming funk" concept.
Is it like you can't do anything that has a relation to games anymore?
When you record a video about a game, and become tired of it, are you tired of gaming, or tired of making the videos?
When you mod, and become tired of it, is it the gaming, or just working on the mod in general?

Things can get tedious.
I'm not very good at working on something for a long time. Still, I usually need a creational outlet, somehow, so I crave something to do. Just not that thing which I'm tired of.

Sometimes I get an idea for something new. I try to create it, and end up half done. The concept is there, but it lacks content and the finishing touch. It's ok. I can leave it, and maybe come back.

So, my advice?
Do what you want and try something new at the same time.

You want to play a game, but everything you have is tedious and you've done it before...
Try a new genre, maybe?
I like to ask my friends what they like, that I haven't played. Sometimes something new is there.

You want to mod, but you're tired of modding all the old games?
Have you thought about creating your own game? You don't have to release anything. You don't have to show anything off. But modding is almost always a step towards creating your own game.
Using a game's editor to create your own touch on the game means getting a fun idea and trying it out. Maybe even building something around it.

That's how some of my games usually start.
Here are a couple that I have not finished, but were just ideas that I wanted to try and create.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdKP5mUAqe0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjB75watdp8

EDIT:
Oh oh oh! One more obvious thing.
When I'm not playing or creating games, I like to watch anime.
It's nice to sit back and be entertained by something that doesn't require your input all the time (As a game would).
It doesn't have to specifically be anime (Although I recommend it Wink ) but any kind of movie kind of media that catches your interest. There's a lot out there.
This also helps getting ideas in general for anything that you might want to do.

Another thought:
What kind of games do you play? The games you mentioned were mostly Singleplayer games weren't they? Is it possible that some multiplayer games could spice things up? Playing with a team, where people also depend on you, not like an AI does, but like a person does.

Welp... I keep getting more thoughts.
About being anti-social.
What about people online? Do you have some people that you talk to? When being on a forum like this, or playing games where I interact with other people, I sometimes come across people that I like talking to. Those are people I like to add to my friends list, on steam and such.
These are people who invite me to play with them in games, or people who likes the same things I do, such as modding or creating games.

I have several good friends both in real life and online, so it's not like I'm totally unavailable to anyone. Regarding the genres I play, it's mostly RPGs, old school FPS stuff and some horror or adventure games. I hold aloof from online gaming, I've never really liked the concept, and I could never immerse myself properly to the point of being attached and attracted to the game, especially when its base mechanics were repetitive and you were doing the same shit over and over.

(01-15-2017, 01:13 AM)SamChurch Wrote:
Spoiler below!
I'm in a very similar situation. I've had 3 jobs in the last year and naturally that stirs people away from hiring me so right now I'm just kinda waiting in between jobs. I have a lot of spare time for my gaming but I've come to the point where most of my games just don't interest me right now. My advice, and what has worked for me, (kind of tying in to what FlawlessHappiness said) find some form of media to watch. I love Rooster Teeth and I started to binge their podcast. I soon found myself watching some of their other shows and I enjoy them very much. The ironic thing is that one of my favorite shows, and one I just finished up to date, is a show called Immersion where they test video game science in real life. Another suggestion that is somewhat working for me, try switching platforms. My majority loyalty is towards Xbox One but I've come to a dead end with it. I have tons of games that I've bought recently and never even tried because I just don't feel the urge. So I switched to PC, and more specifically the over 200 games in my Steam library. I've also taken up playing games on my dusty old PS3. Maybe you just need a change of style. Or maybe you simply must find a new hobby. Maybe find a local club to join. Or simply meet new people. Anything can happen, just don't give up. Have fun

That's me in a nutshell - buy tons of games and never play them. I have about 115 games on steam, and 100 more boxed games lying just right next to me, but somehow, I can never urge myself to pick something out of my collection.

(01-15-2017, 04:31 AM)Daniel47 Wrote:
Spoiler below!
I feel you Slanderous on being rejected by peers and coming to peace with it. I've always been the "keep to myself" type and only engage in conversation if I truly feel like. Such as now for instance. In terms of the gaming funk I try to find other hobbies to occupy my mind. (Though this is just me.) For me I have a bit of a musical background and enjoy playing the Bassoon. However due to the level of difficulty that instrument provides I do get frustrated at times and tend to move on to other avenues. The other thing I do is pull out a good JRPG such as Final Fantasy which then I can connect with the characters in those stories. Though only for a time that is.

Going back to the social aspect, most of the individuals I speak to are on this forum. Sad I know, but I have a group I can easily connect with. But to really answer your question, I would suggest either taking time away from gaming or trying something with it that you've never done before or have always wanted to do.

By the way SamChurch, welcome to the FG community! Good to have you with us! Big Grin

Thanks Daniel, and thanks Flawless & SamChurch as well. Your answers are of great help and I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to contribute to the thread. Also, welcome to the community SamChurch! May the force be with us and may I finally be able to get out of my gaming funk.
01-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Sometimes you have to force yourself. Saying "I know I'm not really feeling like doing anything right now, but I'm going to click the Play button and I'm going to follow the instructions given to me" and then just see where it leads.

If you get frustrated or bored too easily with the game, then I think it's fine to turn it off again. But it's good to sometimes force yourself into it. Maybe you're body has been in this stage for long enough. It has gotten used to it, so it's hard to get out of it again.

I have days like that as well, and sometimes it helps by just actually putting on some pants, instead of sitting in my pajamas all day.

Try setting a goal for yourself. Make it a challenge.
"Today I'm going to pick a random game and try it out. If I like it, I'll finish it. If I don't like it, I'll put it into another pile, so that I can differentiate between the games I haven't played, and the games I don't like".

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2017, 04:09 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
01-15-2017, 04:09 PM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5

Unless you wish for the video game industry to be a lead into your life, I would suggest seeking out a fulfilling career. I have felt "gaming funk" many times and thus I take a break for a little while. It's in my personal opinion that one needs to seek and works towards "something" which is typically a career path. Unless video games, like I said, are your soul purpose of living, don't let yourself revolve around them. It's your hobby, not your life. And even if you can't find that career path right now or you won't for years, that's okay. The journey towards figuring that out is part of the experience.

Work towards "something". Let video games be your short getaway, not your main driving force.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2017, 04:33 AM by J.R.S.S..)
01-16-2017, 04:32 AM
Website Find
Marvel Offline

Threads: 0

Never heard of the term but I have experienced this condition to some extent. It is actually a medical condition. Your brain gets wired in a certain way after years of isolation and living a virtual life that makes it psychologically difficult to have 'normal' life and relationships. In some countries there are rehab centers that treat the 'mentally ill' addicted gamers.
01-23-2017, 09:58 PM
Find