Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game won't launch (Steam)
Capnbob
Unregistered

Solved: 6 Years, 10 Months, 2 Weeks ago Game won't launch (Steam)
Greetings,

I have a new gaming PC I've recently built and have been unable to play SOMA on this machine.

When I attempt to play the game, Steam shows "Preparing to Launch" for maybe a second. The game will show as "running" in the left library panel and then nothing. It seems to immediately crash or otherwise fail. No error messages are displayed. It just stops there.

I've read a common issue is that MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO C++ REDISTRIBUTABLE needs to be installed. I've confirmed this is installed on my machine (at least that's what I'm told when I try to install these files).

I've attempted to find the hpl.log file on my computer but there isn't a SOMA file under Documents/My Games. I found a SOMA file under Steam/steamapps/common/ but there's no hpl.log to be found there.

Here are my specs:

Windows 10 (fully updated)
Intel Core i7-6700k @ 4GHz
EVGA GTX 1080 (latest drivers)
16GB RAM
05-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Solved: 6 Years, 10 Months, 2 Weeks ago RE: Game won't launch (Steam)
If the hpl.log file isn't generating, that means the game isn't running at all. As in, the process doesn't even start. What happens when you try to run the game's executable (either Steam or NoSteam) directly from its steam folder? Does it throw an error message this time?

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
05-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
If you check Task Manager, do you see soma.exe show up, even just briefly?

05-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Find
Capnbob
Unregistered

(05-04-2017, 01:10 PM)Mudbill Wrote: If you check Task Manager, do you see soma.exe show up, even just briefly?
No, it does not. Not even briefly.

(05-04-2017, 12:26 PM)Romulator Wrote: If the hpl.log file isn't generating, that means the game isn't running at all. As in, the process doesn't even start. What happens when you try to run the game's executable (either Steam or NoSteam) directly from its steam folder? Does it throw an error message this time?
I just tried running Soma.exe and Soma_noSteam.exe from the Steam folder. The both result in the same error: "The code execution cannot proceed because VCOMP100.DLL was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

I'll also point out that I've reinstalled the game a couple times with Steam with no results.

EDIT: I got it working. After seeing the new error, I did some Googling which led me to a different download link for Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. I downloaded a file from here and the game ran immediately. It seems I was trying to run the wrong .exe before to fix the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. Game seems to run fine now. Thanks.
05-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Ah, sorry I didn't see your response earlier; but yeah, if that dll was/is missing, then it would have been a problem with one of your previously installed Redistributables.

Nonetheless, glad to hear you got it solved! Enjoy the game. Smile

Closing thread~

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
05-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.