Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Net Neutrality is at Risk!
SamChurch Offline

Threads: 3
Net Neutrality is at Risk!

Alright guys and girls of the Frictional Games community, we've got a serious issue at hand that could potentially change the way we use the internet in a very big way. I'm talking about the Trump Administration's FCC Repeal of the 2015 Net Neutrality Rules.

I don't entirely understand what the repeal would mean but my simple understanding is that without net neutrality, the internet would function a lot like your cable provider. "We are going to charge you for this section of channels, and this section, and this one! Don't want to pay for it? Then you don't get those channels!" except replace "channels" with "websites".

Now I learned about the repeal from the Terraria Community Forums, and they put it very well:

"Like having access to the entire internet? We are at real risk of losing it. The FCC and ISPs could potentially change the way we access the internet by enacting paid prioritization (choosing apps and sites for you), blocking sites, and throttling sites they don't benefit from you accessing. You can help save the open internet by completing and submitting this form to the FCC *Use Proceeding 17-108 "Restoring Internet Freedom". If you would like more information on Net Nuetrality, visit https://netneutrality.internetassociation.org/action/ The form does require a quick comment, and if you'd like help on what to say, check out this article."

So please everyone, take the time to read up on Net Neutrality, form an opinion, and if you side with Net Neutrality, then please complete the form above. It literally took me less than 5 minutes. It was simple and easy.

That is all, thank you for your time!
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2017, 05:01 PM by SamChurch.)
07-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Net Neutrality is at Risk!

As someone who works for an ISP (not in the US) I will definitely advocate against this and I don't think it's going to be a success even if it goes through. The rest of the world generally follow the US, but we won't walk off a cliff if they do it first. Something as negative as this I don't think is going to spread, which will put the US at a disadvantage to the rest of the world. It's their own demise.

07-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Find
gideon Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Net Neutrality is at Risk!

Honestly, the trump administration is making a lot of dumb choices. This is yet another one. It would mean blatant corruption and control of information by the big corporations. The good thing is that in Europe I don't see this ever happening. Even the cookie laws are quite stringent. America would be shooting itself in the foot if this happens.

Thanks for the link, will definitely try to play my part in keeping net neutrality.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2017, 10:49 AM by gideon.)
07-17-2017, 10:03 AM
Find