Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't update to ver. 1.3.1...
JoeyXIII
Unregistered

Solved: 5 Years, 9 Months, 3 Weeks ago Can't update to ver. 1.3.1...
Hi,
I have a physical version of Amnesia: TDD that I bought years ago and I decided to play it. I wanted to update it to version 1.3.1 (I have Windows) but after I finished installing the update and starting the game it said that the SDL.dll cannot be found... I've been looking into other posts here and I've found that I maybe installed it into a different folder. Do you have some guide how to install it correctly? Thanks in advance
11-05-2017, 01:03 AM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Solved: 5 Years, 9 Months, 3 Weeks ago RE: Can't update to ver. 1.3.1...
Did you have the 1.2 Justine update before? I'm not sure if installing that first perhaps helps, though I wouldn't think so.

Did your retail copy have a "redist" folder inside your game installation? I think I've stumbled upon some retail copies that did not use a redist folder, similar to Steam, but most retail copies do have it. Inside there is where most of the game's files are found. That might be the folder you should pick to install the update to.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017, 04:07 AM by Mudbill.)
11-05-2017, 04:06 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
By default, the game will install in the correct location as it should (it pulls this data from the registry). Have you installed the base game (version 1.0), then updated?

SDL.dll can be manually downloaded from here on the forums
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...l#pid70551

If the above doesn't fix it, I recommend uninstalling the game from the Control Panel, then clearing out your folder (either by deleting or cutting and pasting the contents in your installation folder elsewhere). By default on a Windows System, your installation folder is C:/Program Files (x86)/Amnesia - The Dark Descent/ - and the actual Amnesia contents and whatnot will be in the redist folder.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
11-05-2017, 04:12 AM
Find
JoeyXIII
Unregistered

(11-05-2017, 04:06 AM)Mudbill Wrote: Did you have the 1.2 Justine update before? I'm not sure if installing that first perhaps helps, though I wouldn't think so.

Did your retail copy have a "redist" folder inside your game installation? I think I've stumbled upon some retail copies that did not use a redist folder, similar to Steam, but most retail copies do have it. Inside there is where most of the game's files are found. That might be the folder you should pick to install the update to.
No, I have a stock/basic version of the game. And no, It does not have a "redist" folder. I just have an "Amnesia" folder and inside are all the game's files.

(11-05-2017, 04:12 AM)Romulator Wrote: By default, the game will install in the correct location as it should (it pulls this data from the registry). Have you installed the base game (version 1.0), then updated?

SDL.dll can be manually downloaded from here on the forums
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...l#pid70551

If the above doesn't fix it, I recommend uninstalling the game from the Control Panel, then clearing out your folder (either by deleting or cutting and pasting the contents in your installation folder elsewhere). By default on a Windows System, your installation folder is C:/Program Files (x86)/Amnesia - The Dark Descent/ - and the actual Amnesia contents and whatnot will be in the redist folder.
Yes I installed the base game then tried to update it. I've put in the SDL.dll in the folder then started the game and it said that some other .dll's are missing... maybe bad installation?
If it won't work out I'll try reinstalling the game.
11-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Yeah, that sounds like a bad installation. Uninstall then reinstall the game and see how you end up from there~

11-05-2017, 09:50 PM
Find
JoeyXIII
Unregistered

(11-05-2017, 09:50 PM)Romulator Wrote: Yeah, that sounds like a bad installation. Uninstall then reinstall the game and see how you end up from there~
It finally worked! Angel I've reinstalled the game and installed the update into a RIGHT FOLDER Big Grin. Thank you for helping me Smile
11-05-2017, 11:34 PM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

No problem! Enjoy the game! Big Grin

Marking as solved and closing the thread Smile

11-06-2017, 03:51 AM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.