Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing Textures for the Mirror and Refraction Issues
mmmmmmm
Unregistered

Not Solved Missing Textures for the Mirror and Refraction Issues
Hello,

I recently bought the game from the Mac App Store, and while it overall is running fantastically given the age of my laptop, apart from lag, I've noticed two things missing from the game:
1. The refraction effect (the blurriness in windows when looking out at the ocean) appears to be completely absent, even when I turn it on the setting.
2. When looking into a mirror, the reflection texture is completely absent.

These may be minor issues, but I was wondering if this was done intentionally by Frictional Games on the Mac version to boost performance, or it's something on my end?
11-14-2017, 05:31 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Not Solved RE: Missing Textures for the Mirror and Refraction Issues
I don't remember SOMA having any functional mirrors. I think they were intentionally occluded because it would be awkward seeing a reflection of the room without seeing Simon himself. Only time I remember a working mirror was a certain scene triggered by the player.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017, 06:33 PM by Mudbill.)
11-14-2017, 06:32 PM
Find
mmmmmm
Unregistered

(11-14-2017, 06:32 PM)Mudbill Wrote: I don't remember SOMA having any functional mirrors. I think they were intentionally occluded because it would be awkward seeing a reflection of the room without seeing Simon himself. Only time I remember a working mirror was a certain scene triggered by the player.

There is definitely a working mirror in the game:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mb6HgjpjgE

However, when I look into it, the texture is basically missing.
11-15-2017, 04:23 AM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Yeah that's the scene I'm talking about. It's not reflective until you interact with it. But I guess that's what you meant then? That the actual scene doesn't play as it should?

11-15-2017, 05:02 AM
Find
mmmmmmm
Unregistered

(11-15-2017, 05:02 AM)Mudbill Wrote: Yeah that's the scene I'm talking about. It's not reflective until you interact with it. But I guess that's what you meant then? That the actual scene doesn't play as it should?

Yeah, pretty much.
11-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
The main thing I can recommend is to simply try updating your Graphics Card drivers in your laptop, as they may be somewhat outdated. If the effect relies on components which are not present on your current driver's software, then that would be the first thing I would try.

Have you also checked and tried altering some of the in-game settings? I believe there are options regarding refraction in there somewhere off memory.

If not, then I'm not sure there's much that can be done. You may opt to try a Steam File Integrity Check in the off chance that there are files missing which provide the effect in SOMA, but I would expect more issues to come up if that were the case.

Have a look at Step 3 here for information regarding updating your drivers, if there is an update available. https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-30644.html

If you need help with doing a Steam File Integrity Check, check Problem I here:
https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-30585.html

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
11-15-2017, 12:58 PM
Find
mmmmmmm
Unregistered

(11-15-2017, 12:58 PM)Romulator Wrote: The main thing I can recommend is to simply try updating your Graphics Card drivers in your laptop, as they may be somewhat outdated. If the effect relies on components which are not present on your current driver's software, then that would be the first thing I would try.

Have you also checked and tried altering some of the in-game settings? I believe there are options regarding refraction in there somewhere off memory.

If not, then I'm not sure there's much that can be done. You may opt to try a Steam File Integrity Check in the off chance that there are files missing which provide the effect in SOMA, but I would expect more issues to come up if that were the case.

Have a look at Step 3 here for information regarding updating your drivers, if there is an update available. https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-30644.html

Thanks for the advice.

I haven't actually updated my Mac in nearly 3 years - I'm installing the new High Sierra OS after missing Yosemite, which should take a night to complete.
11-15-2017, 03:58 PM
mmmmmmm
Unregistered

(11-15-2017, 12:58 PM)Romulator Wrote: The main thing I can recommend is to simply try updating your Graphics Card drivers in your laptop, as they may be somewhat outdated. If the effect relies on components which are not present on your current driver's software, then that would be the first thing I would try.

So I updated my drivers and the issue still persists. I'm guessing that it's just a problem with Intel.

Thanks for the help anyway.
11-16-2017, 07:51 AM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
(11-16-2017, 07:51 AM)mmmmmmm Wrote: So I updated my drivers and the issue still persists. I'm guessing that it's just a problem with Intel.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Ah sorry to hear! Sad

If you manage to get it fixed, feel free to post a solution here! I hope that the rest of the experience isn't ruined for you over this visual error.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
11-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.