Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game crashes after Gamma settings
olividir
Unregistered

Not Solved Game crashes after Gamma settings
Hello everyone

I have looked around in the posts, but have not been able to find anything that helps me.
So I recently moved to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, installed steam and then installed Machine for Pigs (I got this game many years ago and then it worked beautifully on Ubuntu). The steam application is not saved on the same disk as the game (could be relevant). The SSD I use for the OS is just not big enough to have games on it too. These are the things I have tried so far.
1. I installed newest graphics card drive from NVidia
2. Game is updated
3. I tried deleting "main_settings.cfg"
4 I have not been able to locate the "hpl.log". I can't find it in the steam folder on my SSD nor on Machine for Pigs folder on the HDD

I am running NVidia 550Ti and i5 2400 (I know it is old but it is more than needed for this game)

Would be nice to figure out first where to find the hpl.log first, then we could make some progress Confusedmile:

Just so it is noted, I have not been able to find hpl.log file, how ever I have been able to find few .log files in the steam folder (see attached). I show both locations with the results of my .log search.

Attached Files
.png   Skjámynd frá 2017-11-20 09-38-52.png (Size: 38.51 KB / Downloads: 220)
.png   Skjámynd frá 2017-11-20 09-39-11.png (Size: 11 KB / Downloads: 219)
11-20-2017, 10:25 AM
olividir
Unregistered

Not Solved RE: Game crashes after Gamma settings
(11-20-2017, 10:25 AM)olividir Wrote: Hello everyone

I have looked around in the posts, but have not been able to find anything that helps me.
So I recently moved to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, installed steam and then installed Machine for Pigs (I got this game many years ago and then it worked beautifully on Ubuntu). The steam application is not saved on the same disk as the game (could be relevant). The SSD I use for the OS is just not big enough to have games on it too. These are the things I have tried so far.
1. I installed newest graphics card drive from NVidia
2. Game is updated
3. I tried deleting "main_settings.cfg"
4 I have not been able to locate the "hpl.log". I can't find it in the steam folder on my SSD nor on Machine for Pigs folder on the HDD

I am running NVidia 550Ti and i5 2400 (I know it is old but it is more than needed for this game)

Would be nice to figure out first where to find the hpl.log first, then we could make some progress Confusedmile:

Just so it is noted, I have not been able to find hpl.log file, how ever I have been able to find few .log files in the steam folder (see attached). I show both locations with the results of my .log search.
Finally, I have tried to verify the integrity of game files, and there are no errors there.
11-20-2017, 01:06 PM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
This to me sounds like the SSAO features are an issue.

I'm not 100% sure if the same applies to Steam on Linux, but if you right click on A Machine For Pigs in your Steam library, you can opt to run the Settings Launcher for AMFP. Go to the Graphics tab and, in the advanced settings, ensure SSAO is disabled. You may also opt to alter a few other settings, but that should be the main cause of the problem.

If the Settings Launcher cannot be launched in this manner, then you need to navigate to where A Machine For Pigs is installed and run the Launcher manually. According to a few searches, it should be something like /home/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Machine For Pigs/, and run the Launcher application. From there, you can disable SSAO as explained above and try again.

A hpl.log is almost always generated no matter how the game closes, and according to the troubleshooting guide, can be found in .frictionalgames/Amnesia/Pig/ on a Linux system. If disabling SSAO does not work, please try looking in that directory, and if the log exists, post it here. Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2017, 02:58 PM by Romulator.)
11-20-2017, 02:55 PM
Find
olividir
Unregistered

(11-20-2017, 02:55 PM)Romulator Wrote: This to me sounds like the SSAO features are an issue.

I'm not 100% sure if the same applies to Steam on Linux, but if you right click on A Machine For Pigs in your Steam library, you can opt to run the Settings Launcher for AMFP. Go to the Graphics tab and, in the advanced settings, ensure SSAO is disabled. You may also opt to alter a few other settings, but that should be the main cause of the problem.

If the Settings Launcher cannot be launched in this manner, then you need to navigate to where A Machine For Pigs is installed and run the Launcher manually. According to a few searches, it should be something like /home/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Machine For Pigs/, and run the Launcher application. From there, you can disable SSAO as explained above and try again.

A hpl.log is almost always generated no matter how the game closes, and according to the troubleshooting guide, can be found in .frictionalgames/Amnesia/Pig/ on a Linux system. If disabling SSAO does not work, please try looking in that directory, and if the log exists, post it here. Smile

Thank you for your reply.
I did check the SSAO setting and it was disabled, so I am guessing it is not to blame.

I have no folder called .frictionalgames/ I have:
HDD/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/machine for pigs/
SSD/Steam/Logs

I am currently going through all the sub-folders in /machine for pigs/ to look for that hpl.log file. As soon as I find it, I will post it.

There is no hpl.log file under /machine for pigs/ folder.
The log in the steam log is bootstrap_log.txt

I am honestly a little bit lost at the moment.

Finally found it Big Grin hpl.log
Somebody could have told me it was in a hidden folder Wink

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 3.52 KB / Downloads: 213)
11-20-2017, 03:18 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
WARNING: Could not find language file entry 'WelcomeMessage05'

I believe this is significant. IIRC the game will crash if it's missing the lang entries for the startup sequence (which the gamma setting is part of). Though why it would be missing is odd, so I guess I can only suggest you try a Steam File Integrity check. You can find it under Properties > Local files for the game in the Steam client.

11-20-2017, 05:47 PM
Find
olividir
Unregistered

That is the thing, Steam Integrity Check says everything is OK. I have tried that multiple times :/
11-20-2017, 05:55 PM
olividir
Unregistered

So the integrity check says everything is ok, but the files are still missing. The game keeps on crashing right after gamma settings.
Is there a way to get the files that are missing somewhere?
11-21-2017, 02:00 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I checked my own log, and the lang entry error is there as well, so it's not the issue. Might be an issue for TDD, but not for AMFP.
Aside from that, the actual loading stops when it attempts to load the main menu map. Something must be messing it up at that stage. Though, in addition it also claims to fail finding the 12_amb.ogg audio file, and the game_menu.ogg file.

The game_menu.ogg file should be in /sounds/music in the game directory.
The 12_amb.ogg file I can't find in my own game directory, but I can't see any error about it either...

11-21-2017, 05:50 PM
Find
olividir
Unregistered

I see the game_menue.ogg file in music folder, but like you I can't find 12_amb.ogg file.

This is very weird, because I know I ran this game on older version of Ubuntu on the same computer. I however changed to Windows for a few years without using/playing AMFP. I recently came back to Ubuntu, and now I use new SSD and a new HDD, so there shouldn't be any contamination from old system.

What do you mean by TDD?? I am not familiar with that.
11-21-2017, 05:59 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

TDD is The Dark Descent, the first Amnesia game.

So far your setup sounds identical to mine (except OS), so I can only suspect something goes wrong while loading the menu map itself. Not sure what to suggest that isn't too much work. All I think of is to replace the menu map with a barebone map and see if it improves. That would tell us if it's the map, or any map that fails. Here's one that I just created, but I haven't tested if it works or not for AMFP.

PS: When I say replace, I mean renaming the original to something else, and then putting this one in its place. Don't actually delete the old file.

Attached Files
.zip   barebone.zip (Size: 732 bytes / Downloads: 199)

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2017, 12:33 AM by Mudbill.)
11-22-2017, 12:28 AM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.