Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUG: Portions of journal entry narration are missing/skipped.
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Not Solved RE: BUG: Portions of journal entry narration are missing/skipped.

I'm sure you'll be fine Smile All it contains is the transcript, really, which should already be available on the wikia AFAIK in a much easier format.

But looks like that file is correct. Specifically I was looking at the part you mentioned was skipped:
[br][voice Diary_CH01L01_DanielNote_04.ogg][br]One last thing. A shadow is following you.

It does reference the audio file, so at least they didn't just forget to add it. Then it must simply mean that the audio file fails to load for whatever reason, so perhaps the log file will say anything. Could you upload the HPL.log from .frictionalgames/Amnesia/Main/ ? Make sure you've ran the game and encountered the issue first, so the log will be up-to-date.

04-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(04-13-2018, 05:27 PM)Ryblade Wrote: EDIT: Crap, should I send that link as a PM, Mudbill? Just hindsightedly realized I could technically be violating copyright with that, even though it is in the interests of troubleshooting... lemme know if I goofed up, eh?

Just in response to clarify your anxiety, don't stress, you're in the clear Wink

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
04-14-2018, 05:06 PM
Find
Ryblade Offline

Threads: 1

Phew, glad that's all cool, then. That would have been ironic.

So yeah, I was wrong earlier about how it skips the same part every time. I may have been a bit hasty and not done enough iterations when attempting to reproduce the bug. It's actually worse.

When I loaded the save up again to trigger the bug and save a log, Diary_CH01L01_DanielNote_03.ogg skipped instead of ...04.ogg. I quit the game, started it up again, and the very next time I grabbed the diary page, ...01.ogg was skipped and the rest played fine. Third time around, the entropy gods were feeling particularly capricious, because it played the entire diary entry without skipping any parts. So it appears the bug likes to randomly choose which file not to skip, if it chooses to skip anything at all. I wish I had better news.

Here's the hpl.log from when the ...01.ogg file failed to play:
.log   hpl.log (Size: 6.94 KB / Downloads: 209)
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2018, 11:01 PM by Ryblade.)
04-15-2018, 11:00 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

That's bothersome. I can't see anything in the log regarding it, but it looks pretty clear to me to be some sort of loading failure. Here's the extract, for convenience, from start of load to start of exit:

-------- BEGIN LOAD FROM /home/user/.frictionalgames/Amnesia/Main/bugtest/AutoSave_ArchivesOld_2018_4_11_16_32_31_0.sav ---------
LOADING SAVE GAME!
-------- Loading map '01_old_archives.map' ---------
ERROR: Sampler aDiffuseMap does not exist, could not bind it to unit 0
    Cache Loading: 1835 ms
  Entities: 1181 ms
  Compilation: 93 ms
  Total: 3408 ms
  Meshes created: 243
  Bodies created: 76
-------- Loading complete ---------
WARNING: Could not find player start node ''
ERROR: StartPos '' does not exist!
ERROR: Sampler aNormalMap does not exist, could not bind it to unit 1
ERROR: Sampler aNormalMap does not exist, could not bind it to unit 1
-------- END LOAD ---------
ERROR: Sampler aGoboMap does not exist, could not bind it to unit 5
-------- Loading map 'menu_bg.map' ---------
    Cache Loading: 722 ms
  Entities: 170 ms
  Compilation: 2 ms
  Total: 918 ms
  Meshes created: 26
  Bodies created: 5
-------- Loading complete ---------
--------------------------------------------------------

Statistics
Medium framerate: 52.409943

User Exit

I'm afraid I don't know where to take this. Like I said, I've encountered this myself on the Mac version, but was never able to find a fix, and I would guess it's a bug deeper down. Best I can do is pray to Luis!

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2018, 08:32 PM by Mudbill.)
04-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Find
Ryblade Offline

Threads: 1

I've got a friend coming over on the weekend who owns ATDD. He's also on Linux, but he's running KDE Neon, as opposed to my Arch Linux. I'm hoping it's just an issue of certain bleeding-edge libraries on my end. Neon's packages are more stable and conservatively released by comparison, so it might make a difference.

I'll post my results if I can manage to get the NVIDIA drivers on his system to work.
04-17-2018, 01:32 AM
Find
kirakatve Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 10

Hi! Thanks again for such extensive research, hope we're not taking up too much of your time.

I will put this on our bug fix backlog, and keep this thread as a point of reference. Can't promise a quick fix, but we'll take a look as soon as we can!

Your friendly neighbour the community manager.
04-17-2018, 09:50 AM
Find
Unregistered

Figured I would put in my two cents regarding this bug. Ever since my gaming computer broke with a hardware problem. I had to rely on an older IBM Thinkpad T410, which I got specifically because of the keyboard and used mainly as a mobile word processor, so it didn't have to be fast or powerful. However, this old business laptop continues to surprise me. I was able to install and run Steam for Linux, Lubuntu 16.04 specifically, and it even ran ATDD. In order to have it run on the integrated DirectX 10 card, I had to bring down the texture quality and turn off much of the extras such as Ambient Occlusion. But it ran, albeit playable at around 25-30? (guessing) FPS. The only thing that didn't work was the flashbacks. During the flashbacks, I get a pink screen because of the lack of texture. Personally, unless I'm being chased by a monster it doesn't bother me any. That's because everything else works fine. I got full audio and everything. I'm surprised it ran at all, frankly. With the basic graphics drivers that came with Lubuntu 16.04 and all. But I thought that maybe a developer might like to know, or not. That's my two cents.
11-27-2019, 01:25 AM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Sounds like you had a few other issues on that laptop, but not anything relating to this thread? Correct me if I'm wrong.

11-28-2019, 06:39 PM
Find