Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About the lantern and oil barrels
Bourlingueur Offline

Threads: 2
About the lantern and oil barrels

Hello,

I started playing Amnesia a short while back. In my first playthrough, which lasted only an hour or two, I was very prudent with the oil bottles I picked up, accumulating them and only using them when my lantern was out of oil to make sure I had plenty on hand, meaning the oil level in my lantern never exceeded that of a single oil bottle refill. Every time I came upon an oil barrel, however, the quantity inside always was no more than just ``a few drops of oil``.

I changed computers afterwards and lost my saved games, meaning I had to start over. On this second playthrough, and unlike in my first playthrough, I chose to use the oil bottles as much as possible, making sure my lantern was filled to the brim with oil as much as possible. What's funny is that I realized that when doing this, there was often more oil in the oil barrels!

I find this weird because I couldn't have used more oil in my second playthrough (since I felt more secure and used my lantern less often Big Grin), yet the oil barrels contained more oil when I had less oil bottles on hand and more directly in my lantern.

Has anyone else noticed that? Is it actually more profitable to use oil bottles as much as possible instead of conserving them?

Thanks for your time.
11-17-2010, 03:10 AM
Find
house Offline

Threads: 11
RE: About the lantern and oil barrels

I thought its a few drops if your oils very high and its a full refill if your oil is very low.
11-17-2010, 03:24 AM
Find
tzb Offline

Threads: 1

I think this is a balancing mechanic built into the game. Players who are low on oil are given more from the barrels, while players who have a lot of oil are given less.
11-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

That's interesting, I didn't stop to think they designed the oil reserves for variable difficulty. Either way, there is quite a lot of oil in the game.
11-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Find