Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Mac Trackpad
BobtheInsane Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Mac Trackpad

Mac laptop user. Only got a multi-touch trackpad. Hence, I can't right click while I'm left clicking an object. So, no ability to throw, yes?

Is there keyboard button fix for this? or any other fix? As I suspect my ability to not throw anything may hinder my ability to complete the game (although if it isn't, and it's only combat-related, I won't mind so much and will just press on with this minor hindrance)

Hope somebody can help please. Keep making awesome games.
11-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Mac Trackpad

By default you use cmd/apple key as a substitute for right-click, but you can change it as you like in the options menu.
11-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Website Find
BobtheInsane Offline

No, you misunderstand me. I can right click if I click with two fingers at once, or if I hold ctrl and click or if I click in the bottom right corner of the trackpad. I just believe in your tutorial it said if you left click an object to hold it, and then right click, you will throw it. My issue is that when I'm left clicking an object the only button (the entire trackpad) is already pressed and hence I have nothing to additionally click for a right mouse button. I thought I had a fix by mapping alt + ` to act as a right click, but even this doesn't allow this mythical throwing function.

Thanks though, for your help, and the game. I've found an adequate technique for throwing using the trackpad as a mouse wheel while left clicking and then letting go. Keep making great games.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2010, 07:15 PM by BobtheInsane.)
11-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

Ahh.. In Amnesia on the Mac we added an extra default keybinding on Mac OS X so that hitting the Left Cmd/Apple key performs a "throw object" so that you can click and hold with the mouse.

However that change was not made to the Penumbra series of games.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
11-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Website Find
BobtheInsane Offline

I guess my more important worry is that being sucky at throwing (this trackpad technique works, but it only goes like 6 feet, not sure if the throw button will send it further) will actually hinder my experience, as I have just shelled out for both these games already Big Grin.
11-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Ah sorry! Did not check sub-forum so assumed it was Amnesia!

But binding the right-mouse to a keyboard key should work fine in Penumbra, that is what I did when I had the old single button mac mouse.
11-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Website Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

Binding the right mouse to a keyboard key in penumbra will be the same effect as what we did for Amnesia.. the difference is only that in Amnesia we defaulted the configuration that way on Mac OS X.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
11-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Website Find