Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Crashing at final door
heartsauce Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Crashing at final door

So I purchased the Penumbra games on Steam and am using it on a unibody Macbook Pro 13-inch. The game has been running great this entire time.

I just burned up Red, and after I pry open the door with the crowbar, I see the loading screen narrative for a second or two and it crashes.

Apparently this is a common crash, and I downloaded the Mac patch that is available on the Frictional website.

After applying the patch, I am prompted for a serial number. Because I bought the game on Steam, none was supplied. What do I do?
11-30-2010, 03:08 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Crashing at final door

Check cache integrity in steam to get the original steam version back, it is already up-to-date with latest patch. Then try to play again now that the files have been checked by steam.
11-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Website Find
heartsauce Offline

Verified integrity of the cache and got the Steam version back, but it still crashes when I pry the door open with the crowbar.

(11-30-2010, 07:05 AM)jens Wrote: Check cache integrity in steam to get the original steam version back, it is already up-to-date with latest patch. Then try to play again now that the files have been checked by steam.
11-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

take the hpl.log file in ~/Library/Preferences/Frictional Games/Penumbra Overture/ (or something similar) and post it here please.
11-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Website Find
heartsauce Offline

Here you are.

Completed Amnesia and Black Plague so far (guess I'm playing mostly backwards) and love everything you guys have done. I really appreciate you helping with this!

(11-30-2010, 03:12 PM)jens Wrote: take the hpl.log file in ~/Library/Preferences/Frictional Games/Penumbra Overture/ (or something similar) and post it here please.
11-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Yeah this is the same problem as for Windows users on Steam, it only happens on Steam and we think we have found a possible solution now. But it will probably take a couple of weeks before it can be fixed.

Here is a temporary fix (I hope):
1. Go to Applications/Utilities/ and start Terminal.app

2. In Terminal type (copy and paste) "touch /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/penumbra\ overture/core/cache/base_entrance_man.collcach" without the "".

3. Remember to replace USERNAME with the name of your user account (home folder name).

4. Press enter and if all went well you get a new line in the Terminal and no error message.

It should now work fine to load the level. What you did in the Terminal was to change the modify date of a file, so that the game does not try to re-create it as it thinks it is "up to date".
11-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Website Find
heartsauce Offline

That worked beautifully, thanks so much!

On to Requiem. Smile

(11-30-2010, 04:30 PM)jens Wrote: Yeah this is the same problem as for Windows users on Steam, it only happens on Steam and we think we have found a possible solution now. But it will probably take a couple of weeks before it can be fixed.

Here is a temporary fix (I hope):
1. Go to Applications/Utilities/ and start Terminal.app

2. In Terminal type (copy and paste) "touch /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/penumbra\ overture/core/cache/base_entrance_man.collcach" without the "".

3. Remember to replace USERNAME with the name of your user account (home folder name).

4. Press enter and if all went well you get a new line in the Terminal and no error message.

It should now work fine to load the level. What you did in the Terminal was to change the modify date of a file, so that the game does not try to re-create it as it thinks it is "up to date".
11-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Find